Whats the Best?

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have gone through allot of different threads and still not exactly sure what is the best wheel size and tire size to go with being the car is lowered? If you go to a +40 off set does it push the wheel closer to the inner fender well? With that in mind, what is the best off set so you have the biggest lip possible as well as getting it as close to the inner fender well? Without rubbing? I know it actually depends on the wheels I decide to go with, but with that aside. The car is lowered about an 1 1/2' to 2''. I want the most rubber I can fit in the well. Right now I have 17x7.5 and 245/45's on it. I would like to go with 18's but will stay with 17's if need be.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Greg

Picture 341 (Medium).jpg

Personally, I'd say "fvck it" and go with 18's. I hear from 18 owners that they get superb handling (and some compromise in handling) and cornering with 18's. I've been looking at Brad's 18x9 Speed Stars for my black 96. After seeing them on another black 96, I think they look great!

I also think 18's "fill in" the fender a bit better than 17's. For example, when I had my Gen-II, I bought 17x9 Cobra-R knockoffs with 245/45/17's to replace the stock 16x7 trash. The 17's gave me slightly better handling and more driving confidence, but they looked a bit small. I probably could have used either a 50+ profile or a sensor-lowering job to complete the look, but I opted for stock ride height to prevent any suspension stress.

Thanks evillally, I follow what your saying. What about the best off set to get the most rim under the fender. If I go with a particular off set can I get 9'' wheels to stay under the fender?

Anyone buddy else's 2 cents is appreciated.

KC96LSC said:
Thanks evillally, I follow what your saying. What about the best off set to get the most rim under the fender. If I go with a particular off set can I get 9'' wheels to stay under the fender?

Anyone buddy else's 2 cents is appreciated.

9" width with a +36mm offset is golden.

I went with 18's, If I had it to do again I would go with 20's for sure!!!

gangstaMK8 said:
I have to admit, There are a few cars on here I would take over mine. But, your car looks real good. I don't remember seeing any interior PICS of you car. Have you done anything to it or is it pretty much stock?

Again Great lookin car.

Greg

Picture 316 (Medium).jpg

KC96LSC said:
I have to admit, There are a few cars on here I would take over mine. But, your car looks real good. I don't remember seeing any interior PICS of you car. Have you done anything to it or is it pretty much stock?

Again Great lookin car.

Greg
thank u

i have done a whole list of things over the years but the interior will be finished within 2 weeks all the tan i am re doing and the black trim looks like the exterior paint it is all smooth including the whole dash like genos except it is tan and black interior i will be posting pics as soon as the last peice goes in oh the tires r 245 35 19

by the way where did u get ur brakes?

I'm curious. With the huge tire sizes, shouldn't there be a brake upgrade? perhaps go to a bigger rotor and caliper setup?

yes normally and on these cars they should have bigger anyway cause they weigh so much

What are the brake sizes now? And how many pistons does the calipers have? If I was to change, what would be the optimum setup?

The best? The best for what purpose? The widest 15s you can fit will be the best for drag racing. There's no one "best" wheel...

Hey KC,

What is the offset on your current 17x7.5's?

Thanks.

MediumD said:
The best? The best for what purpose? The widest 15s you can fit will be the best for drag racing. There's no one "best" wheel...
Thanks for your input mediumD, If you read the post you may have gotten it or if you followed the flow of the thread. Sorry you couldn't grasp what I was saying.

Greg

GMAN said:
What are the brake sizes now? And how many pistons does the calipers have? If I was to change, what would be the optimum setup?

GMAN, I went with the Cobra setup, Its worth every penny 13" Rotor (front) & 11.65 (rear) I got the 2 piston Cobra calipers 10th Anniv. and used the stock ones on the back with fast Ed N's adapter kit. I'm not sure what the optimum setup is, But I love the set up I've got. HUGE difference.

Greg

Picture 327 (Medium).jpg

evillally said:
Hey KC,

What is the offset on your current 17x7.5's?

Thanks.
evillally, They are +36. I was just curious what the best off set is to get the most wheel & tire combo on her.

Greg

Members online

No members online now.
Back