Who is more likely to articulate a written comprehensible sentence?

Who is more likely:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's one thing I would never do is install any coil over conversion. Even if Eddie sold me the 1.5 lowered version for $25.00, I still would not swap it over. Air ride all the way. Mine has a 1 year old compressor from Eddie and front bags from a 98 and original rear air bags. Rides very smooth and when someone else rides with me that has never ridden in a Mark, they comment on how smooth the car rides. Maybe Lincoln should have made the air ride an option lol.

I just wonder how many Marks out there would have air and how many wouldn't, considering it probably would have been a guesstimated $3,000 option.

I wish i would have kept mine however at the time it was the second set of bags I was going to have to replace...it was a decision of frustration. I am not completely unhappy with the conversion especially since I added the suspension braces...swapping back to air ride is on my long list.

I wish i would have kept mine however at the time it was the second set of bags I was going to have to replace...it was a decision of frustration. I am not completely unhappy with the conversion especially since I added the suspension braces...swapping back to air ride is on my long list.

Well, I can't say that if mine was already converted that I would install a whole new air ride but just because one bag or the compressor fails, I'm not going to jerk the air out. I think the highest price item is one of the front air bags, if you went back with OEM, which I would.

That's one thing I would never do is install any coil over conversion. Even if Eddie sold me the 1.5 lowered version for $25.00, I still would not swap it over. Air ride all the way. Mine has a 1 year old compressor from Eddie and front bags from a 98 and original rear air bags. Rides very smooth and when someone else rides with me that has never ridden in a Mark, they comment on how smooth the car rides. Maybe Lincoln should have made the air ride an option lol.

I just wonder how many Marks out there would have air and how many wouldn't, considering it probably would have been a guesstimated $3,000 option.

Aren't you the guy who spent $1000 on front lenses? This is my point, a car that is being kept very stock, or is in pristine condition should remain true to the design, but all these idiots spouting purism to Lincoln's design in advisory to those who just want thier car running well and reliable are ignorant.

For the other replies from other people:

I am not going to find a cheaper car, becuase the mark is about the bottom basement, I can buy em all day for what I could buy 25 year old Hondas with. Marks are about a low as it gets as far as retained monetary value. I will replace expensive systems that aren't worth keeping on a low-dollar fun car. Refer to my sig link if you don't get the point. When one bag starts to fial it means that chances are the rest of the system is worn as well. That makes it worth the sacrifice to convert, if upon inspection bags or compressor show wear in addition to the failed part. Extreme statements such as swapping to a sohc t-bird motor is just cannon fodder for more arguing, so i will ignore that, but I will say I choose to keep my dohc because it is a reliable part of the car despite it's complexity not because it's designed that way from Lincoln, unlike air-ride it's worth the trouble.

As for all the other "proof" you claim, Coils vs. Air-ride quality is extremely opinion and preference based, but I will say for my side of this that I agree air is a good quality ride in my opinion and many others, that's not why I'd choose to rip it out. Unlike you purists who have to knock down alternatives just to make your point, I can admit the benefits of the system even if it is not ideal. My qualms with air-ride are; value considering the normal application of the Marks left out there, reliability, and cost. Rare, pristine, or enthusiast cars do not apply to my logic. Practicality and reasonability is the point I make. Considering the best Mark is worth just a small fraction of it's original cost, value is a failure example of why air-ride ought to be retained. If I wanted to be subjusctive like you, I'd go ahead and mention that I have been a aprt of selling 10+ air-ride Lincolns, people have turned down the ones with factory systems at times because of fear of failure. When I sold my last car the potential buyers were all glad to see the conversion, matter of fact it is what sealed the deal! I had a buyer for my '93 lined up back in '08, it fell through because the kid told his dad it had air-ride. I speak reasonably and don't use blanket statements to support my opinion. Many good cars see the junk yard because people like you don't enlighten new people who use thier car for transportation to the alternatives.

I never understood why Mark VIII owners think the "grass is greener" with coil-over conversions. The Mark VIII air ride is about as simple as it can get. And since you consider the system runs fine for 10+ years in most cases, it's also more economical in the long run than coil overs.

You want an expensive to maintain and fix non standard suspension system? Google Mercedes Active Body Control.

Struts are around 1800 a piece. Tandem ABC/Power steering pump is 2800 bucks not including labor. Labor to replace it is around 11 hours... on top of a mandatory system flush and rodeo (incidentally, google mercedes rodeo test. It's fun to watch). System calls to be flushed avery couple of years to the tune of 680 clams. Each valve block (there are two of them) is around 1800 dollars. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Now, I understand not everyone has the money to properly fix the air ride on their car when it goes out, but come on! People with conventional suspensions want to go to air ride and air ride people want to go to conventional suspensions.

This doesn't even apply to the thesis I made. I didn't say it was too complex, I said it was a bad value. Also, MB suspention is complex and expensive because ALL MB stuff is, but MB drivers have the cash most mark VIII owners don't.

Of course Mark VIII owners have money. Have you seen some of the modded Mark VIII's here?

Now, being in the same category as I'm about to classify, I am of the opinion that most Mark VIII owners are cheap bastages. :lol:

Of course Mark VIII owners have money. Have you seen some of the modded Mark VIII's here?

Now, being in the same category as I'm about to classify, I am of the opinion that most Mark VIII owners are cheap bastages. :lol:

This is true Senor Frog. We are cheap. But, it's for a reason. Look at the value of our cars, if we want them to run and to be able to afford them to do so, it makes sense that we should be frugal or choose reason over rhyme. Those guys with mega-modded cars, or beauty queen showcars that we put on pedestals are the exception, not the rule. Think about the majority application of the marks left on the road, and what may be the most economical decision to keep them out of the boneyard, that is where my sensibility lies. I'm not trying to be an argumentative dick, I just don't like when people stomp over the opinions of others to hock thier own, while using poor analogies and senseless theory to do so. I am not really directing my debating to people like you and nolimit who prefer air for a reason, and don't treat coil prefered people like second fiddle mark owners.

Aren't you the guy who spent $1000 on front lenses? This is my point, a car that is being kept very stock, or is in pristine condition should remain true to the design, but all these idiots spouting purism to Lincoln's design in advisory to those who just want thier car running well and reliable are ignorant.

Yes, I did buy new headlight housings, new grille and two new corner lenses. All of it was around $1200 with shipping but now that I own it, everything should remain looking new because it stays inside a garage and is not weathered or driven in the rain. Might sound stupid to some but I have a truck to drive in the rain and if the car is clean and dry, then why get it out in wet weather?

I'm not downing "you" or anyone else for removing the air ride and installing coils. I was just simply stating that I myself would never remove the air ride all because of one part being bad. Yes, if one air bag is bad, the other one is sure to follow. Pay $333 + shipping one week and then maybe a month or two of saving, buy the other front bag. Done deal for years to come and the compressor doesn't cost enough to complain about. Rear bags seldom go bad but even if, they run about $250 each (new OEM) and take just minutes to replace. The suspension in all was designed for the air ride. UCA's / LCA's ect are more likely to go bad riding on a coil conversion as opposed to the air ride they were designed for. Maybe my logic is way off on that but I just look at the long run on things. Yes, I am one that is staying true to the stock design except for the junk ass stereo they put in them.

The way I see it: It's your car to do with as you please - don't even waste time arguing with other people, trying to justify what you did or didn't do.

Yes, I did buy new headlight housings, new grille and two new corner lenses. All of it was around $1200 with shipping but now that I own it, everything should remain looking new because it stays inside a garage and is not weathered or driven in the rain. Might sound stupid to some but I have a truck to drive in the rain and if the car is clean and dry, then why get it out in wet weather?

That's my point buddy, no you aren't stupid or anything like that, I was using it as an example, a "nice" car used for leaisure/show/etc. may be reasonable to maintain factory air-ride, maybe even a very nice daily driver. I wasn't judging you.

Martin has a point, it's your own car to do as you please. I wasn't the guy judging people here, I was the one defending my opinion for like-minded people that some on here enjoy feeling superior to. I'm tired of these types in every enthusiast forum on the damn web, they can kiss my ass, I have no respect for them. Those like frog and and you, nolimit, with opinions you feel strongly, but stand by respectfully, have respect and deserve it.

This is true Senor Frog. We are cheap. But, it's for a reason. Look at the value of our cars, if we want them to run and to be able to afford them to do so, it makes sense that we should be frugal or choose reason over rhyme. Those guys with mega-modded cars, or beauty queen showcars that we put on pedestals are the exception, not the rule. Think about the majority application of the marks left on the road, and what may be the most economical decision to keep them out of the boneyard, that is where my sensibility lies. I'm not trying to be an argumentative dick, I just don't like when people stomp over the opinions of others to hock thier own, while using poor analogies and senseless theory to do so. I am not really directing my debating to people like you and nolimit who prefer air for a reason, and don't treat coil prefered people like second fiddle mark owners.

You are right, I do not treat coil conversion MArk VIII owners like "second fiddle". But I will attempt to explain to them why they are wrong in their thinking. If they still want coils... They are free to put coils under their cars. No skin off my back.

I fall into the category of the broke mark viii owners, and will buy a new bag when I can afford one until I have all four, then a new compressor. I will never switch to coils if you want it that way go for, I like my air it's one reason I bought the car over a t-bird.

That's my point buddy, no you aren't stupid or anything like that, I was using it as an example, a "nice" car used for leaisure/show/etc. may be reasonable to maintain factory air-ride, maybe even a very nice daily driver. I wasn't judging you.

Martin has a point, it's your own car to do as you please. I wasn't the guy judging people here, I was the one defending my opinion for like-minded people that some on here enjoy feeling superior to. I'm tired of these types in every enthusiast forum on the damn web, they can kiss my ass, I have no respect for them. Those like frog and and you, nolimit, with opinions you feel strongly, but stand by respectfully, have respect and deserve it.

Mike, I appreciate you not taking what I was saying the wrong way because like I said, I don't down anyone for putting coils on their Marks. I also agree with Martin. As for feeling superior just because I have air ride and someone else don't, that's something that I just don't do. My car is far from being superior to a lot of them on here. All I do is just try my best to take care of it and keep it rust free and keep the miles down on it. For some odd reason, my 8 year old wants that car (I'm sure he'll change his mind) but if I have anything to do with it, the car will still be in the same shape it's in now. That's what I'm hoping for anyway lol. Anything could happen between now and then though.

Now, I will admit this much. If all of my air bags and compressor went out at the same time, then yes, I might consider the 1.5 lowered kit because now I have over $3500 in this car and putting all OEM air ride parts back in would be costly. I do know what you're saying though about some that think if you don't have what they have, then your car ain't sh!t. I look at it like this...... "WHATEVER" :rolleyes:

Usually you'll see that same person coming back on complaining about a problem they're having with that so called "good part" :)

:D It's called an articulate discussion about air vs. coils. :p No telling what it will turn into next. I thought this thread was gonna end on page one but I thought wrong.

Yeah well the LS guys seem to have added quite a few pages to it :rolleyes:

blah blah

I have replaced all 4 bags on my 95 Mark, and I have replaced the compressor twice, and another time due to the vent solenoid leaking. I have replaced one of the solenoids on the rear spring, due to the fact that the original wouldn't seat properly on the aftermarket bag. It still leaked after I replaced it. A dremel tool, and 6 O-rings later, it hasn't leaked since then. I have a slightly used front spring and a brand new front spring on my shelf in the garage, as well as a spare computer and the guts for a compressor. I am prepared for the long haul. Anyhow, on my 86 Mark VII, all four bags were replaced once around 100k(give or take 20k) and I had the car until it had 224k on it when it was stolen, with no signs of leakage. I think the solenoids or bladders have started being made with lower quality materials. I now have 214k on my VIII and I hope the air suspension holds for quite some time now. I am keeping the car not for its monetary value(as I am sure I will part it out when I tire of it) but for the fact that it is basically the last of its kind. Lincoln gave up on making personal luxury coupes, and not too long after, on rear wheel drive V8 cars period. It has me scratching my head, but I love my lincoln.

When my bags go I will simply park the car until I can afford to buy the bags from Max. Luckily I have several other cars to drive and have the option, but I can understand if someone is using theirs for a daily driver the lure of using coils. On my car though as long as I own it, it will never see anything but an air suspension.

Members online

Back