Windows up by remote

Yeah I think so also, But I am afraid of wiring. I think you should be able to get the identical stuff that makes the window go down and wire it and it should make the window hopefully go up. Like I said I am afraid of wiring

You don't know my luck at all. LOL, The worst that would happen is I would end up some how shorting out the whole car and be buying probably a $2000 computer and electronics.

Honestly...that is a very dangerous thing to do. There's a reason it isn't offered from the factory. What if you accidently activate your remote (by sitting on it, etc)...or even activate it on purpose without a clear view of your car...and someone has their arm, head, etc sticking through the window? Someone is going to get hurt....and it could easily kill a child.

2001LS8Sport said:
Honestly...that is a very dangerous thing to do. There's a reason it isn't offered from the factory. What if you accidently activate your remote (by sitting on it, etc)...or even activate it on purpose without a clear view of your car...and someone has their arm, head, etc sticking through the window? Someone is going to get hurt....and it could easily kill a child.

Why would someone have their limbs sticking through the window(s) when the car is parked, and the man is in his office building working?

This looks like a universal peice. There is no way that i would even touch it if i were you. How are you going to find the right wires? Poke around the window switch? This looks like more of a headach then what its worth. I would even bet that a car stereo shop wouldnt touch it either. Or they will charge you an arm and a leg to put it in. You can do this same thing if you get a viper alarm. They sell a module that works the same way, but again you would need to find the right wires. A friend of mine figured it out when he was helping me put in my remote start. He has been installing car stereo for 12 years so i have no idea how he did it. He didnt use a viper window mod but figured out the how to use the one. Anyways, i feel that its something that would be more of a pain in the a** then whats its worth.

Frogman said:
I thought the LS windows go up automatically if you turn and hold the key in the door key cylinder...?

QUOTE]

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have installed a unit similiar in an old Trans Am. Its technically not hard to do. They sell wiring manuals on ebay for all years which would be a big help for you and your future projects. The only thing is it wouldnt work with your factory remote. You'd have to have a seperate remote just for the windows and thats lame. And trust me, they say it senses object but i wouldnt count on it. Go try your own car out, stick your arm in and roll it up on it....doesnt feel good. Its a huge safety hazard for something that i would consider a LAZY function to have.

SolacE said:
these have a circuit that senses obstuctions and will stop the window motor if the window hits any obstructions.

True...and that's not enough. That is why power window switches have changed. You used to have rocker switches that you moved back and forth. Now you have to physically lift up on the switch to close a window. That was done for one reason...in case a child crawled over to look out the open window and accidently stepped on the switch and closed the window while he had his head out. Stick your hand out the window and see how tight it gets before it reverses.

You can close them all with the key in the door because you physically have to be standing at the car to operate it. No accidental operation possible.

Frogman said:
Why would someone have their limbs sticking through the window(s) when the car is parked, and the man is in his office building working?

What about the mom who is out pumping gas or in the convenience store and throws her keys in her purse?? She's not paying attention while little Johnny is sticking his head out the open window gawking around and her wallet is shoved over against her key fob.

Accidental engagement of the fobs happens a LOT!! Ever come out and your fob doesn't work? It's probably because you accidentally engaged it for a long period of time in your pocket and ran the battery down in the fob.

Well to get this back on topic. His question wasn't how safe it would be he wonder if someone has done it. I as well as others on this forum and LLSOC have had this done. If you have the right alarm then this is pretty easy to do without the need for extra relays or complex wiring. I have a Autopage RS 850lcd 6 channel alarm with LCD remote. as soon as find the install manual I will let you know which wires were used to make it work. But please make sure you know a little about vechicle wiring as you could damage something if you don't know what you're doing.

2001LS8Sport said:
That is why power window switches have changed. You used to have rocker switches that you moved back and forth. Now you have to physically lift up on the switch to close a window.
Actually, the '03-'06 LSes have rocker switches, and express up and down on both front windows. And, IIRC, they're the only ones with the "bounce-back" safety feature, but that may only be on the moon roof.

My wife's lexus had the automatic down and UP. The window switchs in my 2004 mustang are rockers, so are the ones in my grandparent 2005 grand marque. Where is your evidence to support such claims. I know it can happen, I am talking about evidence concerning the "new" style switches and manufact. not making automatic up windows? This is the one thing I hate about the web. A lot of poeple talking about stuff they don't know about. Then again it really isn't any different then going to a local cruise in.

machlsowner said:
My wife's lexus had the automatic down and UP. The window switchs in my 2004 mustang are rockers, so are the ones in my grandparent 2005 grand marque. Where is your evidence to support such claims. I know it can happen, I am talking about evidence concerning the "new" style switches and manufact. not making automatic up windows? This is the one thing I hate about the web. A lot of poeple talking about stuff they don't know about. Then again it really isn't any different then going to a local cruise in.
From the US Department of Transportation:
SUMMARY: This final rule amends our standard for power-operated windows, partitions, and roof panel systems to require that switches for these windows and other items in new motor vehicles be resistant to accidental actuation that causes those items to begin to close. The purpose of this amendment is to reduce the number of injuries and fatalities to people, especially children, that occur when they unintentionally close those power-operated items on themselves by accidentally leaning against or kneeling or standing on the switch or when other occupants accidentally actuate the switch in that manner.
<deletias>
Although they need not do so, manufacturers may choose instead to address the problem through the use of more advanced technology. Manufacturers that install power-operated windows, partitions or roof panel systems meeting the automatic reversal requirements of the standard need not comply with the requirements of this final rule.
-- http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/safety_switch/SaferSwitchesFinalRule.html
and
Injuries Associated With Power Windows

Data obtained since the NPRM confirms the existence of an ongoing problem at a national level. In March 2000, NHTSA responded to questions from some commenters on the NPRM about the justification for the rulemaking by undertaking a review of death certificates from the 50 U.S. States for calendar year 1997. As part of that review, the agency examined three types of non-crash accidents related to motor vehicles, including child (age 10 or younger) fatalities related to vehicle windows. This study was augmented with a search for relevant news articles in the Lexis-NexisTM database, both to confirm cases found in death certificates and to identify additional cases from 1997 and later years.

The study looked at the issue of child fatalities in power window incidents generally, including any fatalities involving vehicle power windows, to obtain an overview of the problem.

A final report, which was published in May 2002,[15] states that in 1997, four deaths of children were associated with vehicle windows, and in two of those cases, it was possible to identify the window system in question as being a power-operated one. In all of those cases, the victims were very young children (three three-year-olds and one four-year-old).

In order to confirm the pattern of injuries discussed above, NHTSA supplemented this research with a similar review of death certificates for calendar year 1998 and updated the Lexis-NexisTM search. The resulting report, which was published in May 2004,[16] yielded the following information.

The results of the review of the 1998 death certificate data were similar to the earlier findings. Four child deaths were recorded as a result of interaction with a vehicle window. Of the four cases, two were identified as involving a power-operated window. In the third case, it was not possible to identify from the death certificate whether the window involved was power-operated, and in the fourth case, no window movement took place, so whether the window was power-operated was not relevant. Victims in those cases were ages two, three (two cases), and six.

As discussed in the second NHTSA report, the results of the updated Lexis-NexisTM search identified 11 child deaths and one injury for calendar years 1998-2002 associated with vehicle windows (one of these deaths involved a sunroof). We concluded that power-operated windows or sunroofs caused nine of the deaths and the one injury. In two cases, it was not possible to identify whether the windows involved in the incident were power-operated. Except for one six-year-old, all of the victims were either age two or three.

These data also indicate that the annual incidence rate for power window-related fatalities involving children is, on average, in the low single digits. However, with such a low rate of occurrence, the number of cases may fluctuate (spike or ebb) in any single year, without necessarily signaling a trend or a generalized change in circumstances. [17]
-- http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/safety_switch/SaferSwitchesFinalRule.html#V

SoonerLS said:
Actually, the '03-'06 LSes have rocker switches, and express up and down on both front windows. And, IIRC, they're the only ones with the "bounce-back" safety feature, but that may only be on the moon roof.
That should be read as they're the only LSes, not they're the only cars.

SoonerLS said:

My side windows bounce back on my 03. Sometimes if your rolling them up and hit a bump they even bounce back down. Of course I had to test the feature on my arm and the feature was very sensitive to bounce back down. It barely touched my arm before it went back down

machlsowner said:

My dads chevy truck has the new style switches but I don't remeber if they have the automatic up option.

2001LS8Sport said:
What about the mom who is out pumping gas or in the convenience store and throws her keys in her purse?? She's not paying attention while little Johnny is sticking his head out the open window gawking around and her wallet is shoved over against her key fob.

Accidental engagement of the fobs happens a LOT!! Ever come out and your fob doesn't work? It's probably because you accidentally engaged it for a long period of time in your pocket and ran the battery down in the fob.

You're missing the point of m post, sir.

And no, I've never come out and realized my keyfob is dead. There are ways of getting around your scenario. Set the thing up to only activate after 3 consecutive button presses, for example. that's how the remote start is set up on my Mark, and I've never "accidentally" started the car.

TheRebel said:
My side windows bounce back on my 03. Sometimes if your rolling them up and hit a bump they even bounce back down. Of course I had to test the feature on my arm and the feature was very sensitive to bounce back down. It barely touched my arm before it went back down
All the windows (at least the fronts and the moonroof, which have express open and close; I've not tested the rear windows) on the newer LSes have the bounce-back safety. I wasn't sure if the side windows on the '00-'02 LSes have the bounce-back, as well (ie, they might have it on the side windows, but not the moonroof); I'd been told that they do not have that feature.

That bounce-back feature has proven to be a real PITA on my moonroof... :mad:

SoonerLS said:

and

Thanks for providing the proof for the new switch design. However it also clearly says that the automatic reversal requirements are acceptable. Which he siad they were not here in response to the comment about the automatic reversal requirements.

2001LS8Sport said:
True...and that's not enough. That is why power window switches have changed. You used to have rocker switches that you moved back and forth.

In addition, power-operated systems that meet the automatic reversal requirements of S5 are also excluded from the requirements of S6.

Members online

Back