2002 lincoln LS Power steering stopped working, fluid leaking under the car

Spray a little degreaser in there to clean out what there is, and rinse it out really well. Don't get the rest of the engine wet with the hose though as while the engine can handle splashback water under any pressure can get where it doesn't need to be. Dry it out as much as you are able. Then give it a crank, let it run a few seconds then take another look. Might be able to track it better if you're not seeing what's been there for years. When you take pics again, pull the dipstick out too. A couple of your pictures showed a dipstick with some engine in the background.

I don't know if the LS has this problem, but on some of the Chevy trucks the sensor will fail on the PS unit, and the fluid will come through the sensor body. Makes a mess like that. Or was it the LS that has this problem? Sometimes what cars have what problems blurs together. Anyway, if the body of the sensor is the problem disconnect the plug and it should be full of fluid.

Spray a little degreaser in there to clean out what there is, and rinse it out really well. Don't get the rest of the engine wet with the hose though as while the engine can handle splashback water under any pressure can get where it doesn't need to be. Dry it out as much as you are able. Then give it a crank, let it run a few seconds then take another look. Might be able to track it better if you're not seeing what's been there for years. When you take pics again, pull the dipstick out too. A couple of your pictures showed a dipstick with some engine in the background.

I don't know if the LS has this problem, but on some of the Chevy trucks the sensor will fail on the PS unit, and the fluid will come through the sensor body. Makes a mess like that. Or was it the LS that has this problem? Sometimes what cars have what problems blurs together. Anyway, if the body of the sensor is the problem disconnect the plug and it should be full of fluid.

Some people have said it could be a pressure sensor. I will try and clean it up and get some better pics when this rain stops. I have had a hard time even getting a look at it in this weather.

IMG_3175.jpgIMG_3176.jpgIMG_3177.jpgIMG_3178.jpgIMG_3179.jpgIMG_3180.jpgIMG_3181.jpgIMG_3182.jpgIMG_3183.jpgIMG_3184.jpgIMG_3185.jpgIMG_3186.jpgIMG_3187.jpgIMG_3188.jpgIMG_3189.jpgIMG_3190.jpgI am sorry if some of these pictures are disorienting and blurry I got one sunny moment so I went out and tried to get the camera down in the area maybe something obvious might stick out to you. I will have to get a ride to town before I can get any cleaner to spray it down though which will be tonight. If you see a specific area that I need to check or anything that stands out just let me know sorry for the repetitive pics I just didn't want to miss anything. Also any other angle just let me know and I will take it.

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

That one copper colored line looks kind of suspect to me it seems really saturated like it may be coming out around it but I am not sure.

I posted some pics from down below where the problem has to be sorry about the quality it was hard to get the camera in there if anything sticks out to you or you want a better angle on something please let me know. That copper colored line looks like it may be it but I am not sure, I am no pro. I will have to wait until I can get a ride to town later tonight to get any cleaner however. I am out of brake cleaner at the moment my dad must have borrowed mine.

Looks like it is the pressure sensor at the back of the pump to me. However, it could be that the leak is nearby and is dripping or spraying on to it.

If it is, then you need 1W4Z-3N824-DA (described as "switch") Note that some LSes have the pressure switch in the high pressure hose. Don't get that one by mistake. It won't fit.

1W4Z-3N824-DA should be about $40.

Looks like it is the pressure sensor at the back of the pump to me. However, it could be that the leak is nearby and is dripping or spraying on to it.

If it is, then you need 1W4Z-3N824-DA (described as "switch") Note that some LSes have the pressure switch in the high pressure hose. Don't get that one by mistake. It won't fit.

1W4Z-3N824-DA should be about $40.
Thanks for the info I am not supposed to take it in until saturday to the shop so do you think if I clean up what I can in there and take some more pics we could be sure about it. I am going to get some cleaner and run it watching that area right there. Is there a better angle of anything I could take a picture of to help verify this. I really appreciate the help. I am hoping this is something I can fix before then. Also could you help me out by describing where that sensor is in one of the pics so I will know what I am looking at when I clean and test it? I have the ford tech manual but it isn't the most descriptive in it's drawings. Is this the sensor referred to in the manual as the PSP. In the manual it looks like it is in the line so it wouldn't be that one I am guessing. I will continue looking.

Last edited:
I looked that switch up I just wish I could find a good part drawing of where it is at I am used to aviation manuals which are super descriptive with everything. If it is this switch and I can verify this is it pretty simple to change the only one listed in the manual I have which is kind of like the site linked to at the top of the thread is a psp switch and when I look up switch it shows things like window, door, etc. I will check sensor sorry for being aggravating about this I just have been so frustrated with this problem it drives me crazy when I can't find what I need to fix. I am sure you know how that is.

it gives this as the system Steering System
The power steering system consists of the following components:

power steering pressure lower hose (3F524)
power steering pressure hose (3E576)
power steering pump (3A674)
power steering pump reservoir (3R700)
power steering reservoir pump hose (3E525)
power steering return hose (3A713)
steering gear (3504)

then mentions the psp elsewhere I am assuming this switch must be part of the pump assembly and is not listed in the manual separately

Post 28, picture #1 - the sensor is at the top left, but is out of focus. Picture #2 shows it clearly. It has the two-pin connector with the wiring.

...In the manual it looks like it is in the line so...
AFAIK, any LS could have the pressure sensor in the middle of the high pressure hose, or on the back of the pump. Yours has it on the back of the pump.

Post 28, picture #1 - the sensor is at the top left, but is out of focus. Picture #2 shows it clearly. It has the two-pin connector with the wiring.

...In the manual it looks like it is in the line so...
AFAIK, any LS could have the pressure sensor in the middle of the high pressure hose, or on the back of the pump. Yours has it on the back of the pump.
Thank you very much for pointing that out now I have a place to start looking. I got me some cleaner and my inspection mirror so hopefully it will be a sunny day tomorrow and I can verify it. A good thing happened also I found a crack in the hose that makes a T across the top of the engine I believe that is my vacuum line. It had previously been fixed with silicone sealant by some mechanic. I have had this problem where the car would want to die at idle sometimes so I have fixed that. It was still held together so that it would run but still had a little vac leak I read on another post about this causing the idle to wanna die. So another problem is fixed that is if I am correct. I know that should be another post but just wanted to mention it as it had been bothering us for a while. It looked intact but wasn't when I picked it up. Anyway I will be checking that switch tomorrow to see if that is indeed the culprit. Thank you for the help.

image.jpgThe pressure switch is on the back of the pump you need a 19 mm deep well socket to get it out.

image.jpg

http://www.mypartsgarage.com/wells-power-steering-pressure-switch-ps574.html I found this website which seemed to be the cheapest to order from. I was wondering if anyone had had any negative experiences with them. The part looks the same on every site this is just the cheapest I have found. Should I order from them?

I don't know how the shipping costs compare, but Tasca has the Ford OEM part for $35.02 Tasca is a trusted parts source. I wouldn't take a chance on an off-brand part to save $1.50. Go with the Ford part.
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/1w4z3n824da

I don't know how the shipping costs compare, but Tasca has the Ford OEM part for $35.02 Tasca is a trusted parts source. I wouldn't take a chance on an off-brand part to save $1.50. Go with the Ford part.
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/1w4z3n824da

I wish I had known that yesterday, If the part doesn't work hopefully I will be able to return it. I thought that they were the same part as they all looked the same. I haven't ordered many auto parts online so I didn't really know what I should go with. Do you think the part I ordered will work? Does it look like everything will hook up ok, I mean it may be off brand(which I didn't know at the time) but I guess my main question is will it do the job?

I suspect that it will work to begin with. The question is "for how long?"

I wish I had known that yesterday, If the part doesn't work hopefully I will be able to return it. I thought that they were the same part as they all looked the same. I haven't ordered many auto parts online so I didn't really know what I should go with. Do you think the part I ordered will work? Does it look like everything will hook up ok, I mean it may be off brand(which I didn't know at the time) but I guess my main question is will it do the job?

Guess you'll find out.......

If you have the time change your fluid mines was black I just got in from flushing it out wow what difference in steering response, since I first bought the car the steering always felt heavy now it feels lighter not like my park avenue or my lesabre but better then before,

On my buicks the steering is so light I find myself rocking while moving the steering, but they are my cruisers so that pointer finger whip in to the parking spot is dead on for them.

The fluid looked clean as new when it was coming out. I am just waiting on that part now and hopefully it will fix the problem. Wish I hadn't been in a rush to order it I wanted to get a ford part instead of another make but they said it would work I contacted support. It still hasn't shipped though which is starting to get to me since it was thurs when I made the order. It just says invoiced.

I suspect that it will work to begin with. The question is "for how long?"
Hopefully as long as I have this car I want to trade it off on something that doesn't have to run premium that gets you at the pumps. It is just it probably isn't worth much as old as it is I want a little 4 cyl front wheel drive so I can get places in winter if it snows and save gas.

Hopefully as long as I have this car I want to trade it off on something that doesn't have to run premium that gets you at the pumps. It is just it probably isn't worth much as old as it is I want a little 4 cyl front wheel drive so I can get places in winter if it snows and save gas.

Do you really want to get into the FWD vs. RWD debate? numerous studies have found a well balanced RWD platform (read LS, BMW, etc.) will outperform a nose-heavy FWD. Been there, done that and slid to the outside of the turn many times believing the FWD myth. Truth be told, the sole reason manufacturers went with FWD was the much, much easier installation. The whole drivetrain and front suspension goes in as one assembly.

But, if you just want a point-A to point-B appliance a 4-banger FWD CamCord is what you want. Look closely; the MPG on those cars isn't that much better than the LS. We had a '91 (appliance) Civic that achieved 50mpg........twice (all freeway, no traffic and cruise set at 67)!

Do you really want to get into the FWD vs. RWD debate? numerous studies have found a well balanced RWD platform (read LS, BMW, etc.) will outperform a nose-heavy FWD. Been there, done that and slid to the outside of the turn many times believing the FWD myth. Truth be told, the sole reason manufacturers went with FWD was the much, much easier installation. The whole drivetrain and front suspension goes in as one assembly.

But, if you just want a point-A to point-B appliance a 4-banger FWD CamCord is what you want. Look closely; the MPG on those cars isn't that much better than the LS. We had a '91 (appliance) Civic that achieved 50mpg........twice (all freeway, no traffic and cruise set at 67)!

I will say I was able to get up my driveway during snowy weather in my 4-banger Accord, but can't git 'er done in my LS. Not that I'm planning trade back down, of course. The other 360 days a year I love the RWD.

I will say I was able to get up my driveway during snowy weather in my 4-banger Accord, but can't git 'er done in my LS. Not that I'm planning trade back down, of course. The other 360 days a year I love the RWD.

And I couldn't in my 4-banger Chrysler LeBaron....... Had to leave it on the street until I shoveled the driveway.

i can tell yall this, my cavalier will drive through two to three times as much snow as the LS will, the damn thing is a billy goat in sh!tty weather

sure the balance of the LS is better in handling, but there are too many times the LS just can't get going, and if I can't start to drive it, then it doesn't matter which one feels better.

now if this car had a damn LSD from the start, that would make a huge difference...

I drive my mom's nissan altima in the snow in winter if I can get it and she isn't using it because I live in Ky plenty of hills and hardly any even flat roads. My LS will barely move in the driveway if we have a snow on. I am still waiting on that stupid part they said it should have shipped sat at latest but I never got a tracking email I will not be using mypartsgarage.com anymore that is for sure. I wish I had seen the post about the ford part before I ordered it on thurs it would have done been shipped or here I bet. I would not recommend buying parts from them all they have done is take my money so far, plus their customer service is only open till 4 and nonexistent on the weekends. Lesson learned from that. Of course they told me on live chat fri that it would ship that day. 2 days later still no shipping.

Members online

Back