Alright, I've Had It!

formerknown

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Aaarrrggghhh!

This HID debaucle has my blood boiling! Like many of you HID owners (at least those with one bulb out), I've been waiting too damned long and impatiently for Ford to begin selling HID capsules again. The used parts sellers are laughing their asses all the way to the bank, and Ford somehow gets away with this crap. I need one HID capsule, but I'm not fighting 200 other goddamned people on eBay, and I'm certainly not paying over $200 for one. I want to settle this sh!t once and for all.

I read somewhere that a Mark VIII owner has adapter the D2S bulbs to the HID lense unit. I saw a picture somewhere a while back. At the time, the HID capsules were abundant and only $95- so no one gave a damn. Now, in this time of BS, I think we need a D2S soultion- BAD. I've read somewhere in a recent thread that a someone sells D2S adapters. Who is it? I want a set. I'll go D2S and save a fortune stocking up on abundant, low-priced bulbs that are more reliable, efficient, and reasonable than the dinosaurs we have in our housings. If no one is making these adapters, someone should cash in pronto.

And for the record- because of this bullsh!t, and other BS I've endured while owning other Ford vehicles, I will never buy another Ford again. I grew up on Ford dealership lots and have grown to love Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles. But after dealing with Ford's design flaws (4.6L 2V intake, Mark VIII electrical and parts problems, AOD/4R70W design problems, HID's, etc.), I think I've finally had enough. After the 96 dies, my next vehicle will be a CTS-V. That's right- I'm crossing over into the light side. At least V-Series owners seem happy with their cars and aren't posting threads looking to chase-down SIMPLE FVCKING PARTS!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

So long, Ford.

wow you are pissed...gezz i am crossin my fingers nothing happends to my lights...knock wood! yeah mee too i'd like to know what's out there so when it's time for me..they will have what we need..and available!!!!

The problem is that a used 98 bulb just sold for nearly $260 on ebay this week. It is outrageous.

We really do need to discuss what the replacement alternatives are. What are the aftermarket alternatives when reconditioning HIDs now? This is an issue of increasing importance.

So what are the bulb #

D1S???
D1R???

Looks like I can get these pretty damn cheep through one of my suppiers.

Brad

Frogman said:
If the 2nd Gen is the same as the First Gen, I think I have a spare HID capsule. I'll send it your way. Let me know if they are the same bulb.

Let me know how much...

Thanks!

Haha! i guess thats the one + to having crap a$$ halogen bulbs :( ugh, you cant win either way with these cars, unless you go custom. (and people wonder why they sold in low numbers)

MrWilson said:
Haha! i guess thats the one + to having crap a$$ halogen bulbs :( ugh, you cant win either way with these cars, unless you go custom. (and people wonder why they sold in low numbers)

it has nothing to do with why they sold in low numbers. these problems have nothing to do with how the cars were when new, 10 years ago. Personal luxury was a dead class in the 90's....it's only recently come back.

I'm going to dump my Lincoln in the next 12 months for this very reason. Too much wierd sh!t breaks, and the cost to fix it is retarded.

baggedtaco said:
So what are the bulb #

D1S???
D1R???

Looks like I can get these pretty damn cheep through one of my suppiers.

Brad

HID-9500. You will not find them through any of your suppliers.

MrWilson said:
my thoughts exactly. but ...shes soooo shiney!

Meh. A couple grand worth of paint will make any car shiney. :)

*edit* Although, I did spend an afternoon with a claybar and some wax yesterday in the 112 degree heat, and I must say - I love Dark Torreador Red when it's clean and shiny. :D

So what is involved in retrofiting regular, over the counter HID bulbs to the HID assemblies?

There's a guy out there who has adaptors, but there are 4 major issues:

1. The cost makes buying used bulbs look attractive

2. You have to permanently "modify" your composite housings so that you can use them.

3. You cannot simply use "other HID bulbs". You have to buy regular bulbs, and ballasts, and retrofit the whole thing.

4. They are made on a custom-to-order basis.

So, you are looking at a lot of time, a lot of money, and in the end, unless you lay out even more skrilla for new D2 bulbs, you are still going to have used lamps. In other words, there is no gain.

Why can't a $500 aftermarket HID/Xenon king system be used in the stock housing?

I think 94M5 used aftermarket HIDs in the stock HID housing. How'd he do that and what did it cost? I'm sure he can get replacement parts while everyone else is SOL

yes, he did it, but he also installed a T5 in his Mark. His projects are not easy or simple. He has a lot of mechanical and fabricating skill, and a lot of patience when his projects go long term. Not characteristics the average user of this board possesses I don't think :(

M Maker is selling hid bulbs for 295. They are brand new !! Hit him up.
If that price is bad do not buy an RL. The bulbs and ballast alone are like 1500 per side... To sad to laugh at...

Besides I was always told the only good cadillac was to own two. That way you can drop one off at the dealer and then pick up the other one you left there a week or two ago..LOL

poneyhexed said:
M Maker is selling hid bulbs for 295. They are brand new !! Hit him up.
If that price is bad do not buy an RL. The bulbs and ballast alone are like 1500 per side... To sad to laugh at...

Besides I was always told the only good cadillac was to own two. That way you can drop one off at the dealer and then pick up the other one you left there a week or two ago..LOL

thats what I was told about pre-ford Jags...:rolleyes:

-let me restate the questions-

Can we install HIR bulbs into the stock HID assemblies?
What is associated with installing an aftermarket HID kit into the stock HID assemblies?

And, the big question is, can we expect sylvania to start making more HID 9500 bulbs and when will they reach market. $260 for a used bulb is outrageous. How long are they supposed to last.

I'm just about to install a set of HIDs and frankly, now I wonder if it was worth it.

Calabrio said:
Can we install HIR bulbs into the stock HID assemblies?

Not directly- let me try to explain; the bulb bore has no "twist-in" for the bulb to sit. Instead, it is a smooth round hole with three small torx bits. I will be taking pics soon for reference.

What is associated with installing an aftermarket HID kit into the stock HID assemblies?

What I want to do is find some kind of plate adapters to be able to install the aftermarket HID kits into the stock HID housings. That's one of the goals of this thread.

And, the big question is, can we expect sylvania to start making more HID 9500 bulbs and when will they reach market. $260 for a used bulb is outrageous. How long are they supposed to last.

Who knows. I've heard that they will be availible this week- but no dice. I'm also hearing December- which will really piss me off. I WILL NOT wait until December and I WILL NOT pay anywhere over $100 for these bulbs. Sh!t, for all of the headlight/ bulb BS we've put up with, Ford ought to be mailing them to us for free!

Allegedly, HID bulb last 5-8 years in normal conditions.

Not too long ago, I got a good deal on HID housings and ballasts from an eBay auction. Unfortunatly the bulbs were quite useless. I've been using one of those [SIZE=-1]McCulloch HID conversion kits in the housings in the meantime. They use D2 bulbs, so if they ever go bad, I won't have a hard time replacing them.

In order to hold the bulbs in place, I used my dremel to cut up some scrap plastic in a circular shape and drilled holes in it for the torx screws.

It's ghetto, but it gets the job done. I haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic once either.
[/SIZE]

CTS-V is a beatiful machine. I grew up on the other side of the tracks and was a chevy lover from birth. Although I still give my heart to the General, I have learned to accept the ford ways. I can comfortably drive either make and I understand both have their quarks. Personally, if I had the abundant $$$ I would be shifting 6 gears in that 400 hp CTS-V right now. Good luck with the bulbs and hopefully you will find a good solution.

Members online

No members online now.
Back