Alright, I've Had It!

JDS353 said:
Adapter plates are on the way as far as production. As far as my cars go, both the 94 and the 95 have a D2S conversion done to them but no plates were used. When the 95 was being put back together, I bought a kit from kenon king.com, and pretty much "silicone'd" the bulbs into place.

I have had NO problems whatsoever with them, and they light up the road just fine. No glare issues with oncomming traffic either. Jeremi and I talked in pretty good detail about producing the adapter plates, we just have to get busy on it.

There has been one person that I know of that has the plans for the plates, but he wants WAY too much for them, and i'm not about to pay it. I'll spend a little time in the garage and get the plans whipped up, then take em to the machine shop.

I know alot of you are hesitant to buy another 350-450 dollar D2S conversion kit, but the bulbs are cheaper, more plentiful, produce more light, and are more efficent then the 9500 setup that was given to us by FOMOCO.

I'll go grab some pics real quick of the 95's setup now. be back in a bit.

Mike

I'm quoting for emphasis. This seems like incredibly important news for the community. If a realistic alternative to the indifferent Ford monopoly on this part, I would buy it in a moment. The thought of being unable to replace lighting components is very unsettling.

Calabrio said:
I'm quoting for emphasis. This seems like incredibly important news for the community. If a realistic alternative to the indifferent Ford monopoly on this part, I would buy it in a moment. The thought of being unable to replace lighting components is very unsettling.

got kinda busy after that post. I just finished a 900 mile trip to colorado springs and don't feel like getting back out tonight. I'll try to get them in the morning.

Mike

Yea, i made it, just here visiting right now. I'll be heading home on sunday.

I'll let you know when I finally move.

Mike

As I posted in another thread about HID's on here I just put mine in today. I have a friend at a body shop take em to see what he could do. When he contacted Sylvainia they said we have never seen those bulds before. He contacted Ford and got me some stupid price so he said let me handle it.

He took a set of H4's from a Lexus and modded the housings to hold the bulbs in with wire clips instead of the screw in way. He took a dremel and made some L shaped slots so a Piano wire hairpin clip would hold the bulbs in.

I just installed them and when night time came it was like the saying "Night and Day" was the difference! :D

Nothing was modified to the point that the stock bulbs could be used if I ever wanted to but, why :confused:

Calabrio said:
Does anyone have pictures of the different housings/lens assemblies for the bulbs. How much work is involved in making an aftermarket fit?

I'll take some detailed pics tomorrow...

2002WRXSTi said:
As I posted in another thread about HID's on here I just put mine in today. I have a friend at a body shop take em to see what he could do. When he contacted Sylvainia they said we have never seen those bulds before. He contacted Ford and got me some stupid price so he said let me handle it.

He took a set of H4's from a Lexus and modded the housings to hold the bulbs in with wire clips instead of the screw in way. He took a dremel and made some L shaped slots so a Piano wire hairpin clip would hold the bulbs in.

I just installed them and when night time came it was like the saying "Night and Day" was the difference! :D

Nothing was modified to the point that the stock bulbs could be used if I ever wanted to but, why :confused:

Night and day difference between what and what ?

Do you know that the bulb hole in the headlight is offset ?

Did you center the bulb in the mounting ring ?

Did you seal it in any way ?

Did you verify the focal point ?

Stuffing these bulbs in there will work, but is it the right way to do it ? No. We all need the light, but make sure it's something that conforms to the DOT specs, or is at least very close to it.

Like Mike said, these adapters will be made as soon as I finish all the crap with recent relocation. There are some guys from Canada involved in it and we'll have them soon.

In the meantime, stock up on the lenses in either 1st or 2nd gen, as they will be necessary to use these adapters.

m_maker said:
Night and day difference between what and what ?

Do you know that the bulb hole in the headlight is offset ?

Did you center the bulb in the mounting ring ?

Did you seal it in any way ?

Did you verify the focal point ?

Stuffing these bulbs in there will work, but is it the right way to do it ? No. We all need the light, but make sure it's something that conforms to the DOT specs, or is at least very close to it.

Like Mike said, these adapters will be made as soon as I finish all the crap with recent relocation. There are some guys from Canada involved in it and we'll have them soon.

In the meantime, stock up on the lenses in either 1st or 2nd gen, as they will be necessary to use these adapters.
Hmmm lemme see, since you have never heard the Night and Day quote before it is a reference to the difference in visibility. Like Night and Day simply put.

Well let me see, I took out the old bulbs and the new H4 fit into the center hole the same as the factory. The focal point is also the same so go to DOT and tell them someone put a non Ford piece in a headlight and see what they do.

If you want to wait for someone to do all the work so you can just plug and play more power to you. I got on it with a friend with loads of HID systems in his body shop and found a system that is as close as possible and fit just right. Screw the Ford mounting style what we did works fine. Your just holding a bulb in a socket it works more than well enough. Night and Day so to speak :p

You didn't answer a single question I asked. If you knew me, you wouldn't say I was waiting on someone else to do the work. Why all the hostility ?

m_maker said:
You didn't answer a single question I asked. If you knew me, you wouldn't say I was waiting on someone else to do the work. Why all the hostility ?
OK sorry for any hostile intent you may have taken from my reply but this board is full of some people that think they know more than they ever will.

The focal point is the same with the new H4 as with the old H4 because they are both H4's. Sitting side by side the arc is the same distance from the base on both bulbs.

As far as the focal point goes in the reflector it was fine when I drove it last night. I just had to aim't the lights as they were pointing towards the ground when I installed them. I would have been more worried if they were projector lights like I hade on my S2000 or my SVX. Focal point is a lot more critical in those systems.

It was not like the bulbs were stuffed in some half ass manner. About the only thing that I did not like doing was having to use silicon to seal the bulb to the housing because there was no O-ring like with the stock Sylvania.

All in all it works fine (Night and Day) not only compared to the stock non HID bulbs but the pattern it puts on the road is better than I could have wanted!

Wait, so you have Lexus HID bulbs in non-HID MK8 housings, or in HID MK8 housings?

Was this H4 kit an aftermarket kit installed on a Lexus? Because I don't recall any OEM HID bulbs being made in H4 pattern.

Dominus said:
Wait, so you have Lexus HID bulbs in non-HID MK8 housings, or in HID MK8 housings?

Was this H4 kit an aftermarket kit installed on a Lexus? Because I don't recall any OEM HID bulbs being made in H4 pattern.
I got the LSC housings on EBAY. One from here with both ballast bulb settups and one housing from Austria that was almost brand new.

One bulb was blown on the stock HID settup so I went to my friend to see if he could get me a replacement. It was a no go with Ford and Sylvania so he said he could find a replacement with all the cars they repair.

So he came up with these that he said were out of a Lexus. Don't know what model car it was or anything? He said the ballasts were mounted in the housing itself as they werent a sealed ballast. So I put plastic around them so no water could enter them. I could ask him when I see him again what model they came off if you want?

H4 is a halogen bulb. It's nothing like the ANSI 9500 bulb found in mark VIIIs HIDs.

If the HID stuf he pulled from the Lexus were the OEM stuff, it's a d2r bulb with a matsushyta ballast.

If it's in fact H4, then it's an aftermarket rebased d2s bulb that either has and adapter ring, or has been glued onto a different base.

Even if the ballast is mounted inside the housing it's still a sealed ballast.

What ever it is, it is a HID bulb that fit the housing and if I need another one for some reason he said he can get one without problem.

Now that I finished tying up wires and all the fun stuff today I can't wait for it get dark out so I can take a drive.

Take the bulb out and take a picture - help the community. You said this message board is full of people that act like they know it all. Well, most of us are on these or other message boards to share the knowledge and at the same time to learn something. We do know a lot though ;)

I wish I took the pictures before I put them in more than ever now! It is thundering outside so I am not about to do it now. Well it ain't raining yet so I may be able to do it? BRB

Just as I got batteries into my Digital cam it started to rain out. So this will wait till it stops or for tomorrow :(

Pic of the HID housing bulb socket. Note that there is no "twist" in the bore to allow for 9005/HBx style bulbs- just three T-9's that secure the bulb:

dsc00255vm3.jpg

And bulb:
dsc00251on8.jpg

Well with the sun out my Camera didn't want to take a nice bright pic of the light. So here is the bulb out of the housing and one of it in if you can see cause it is quite dark :(
HIDBulb.gif

HIDmounted.gif

Thanx for the photos.

It's a standard d2r bulb. There is no way you are getting the same focal point out of these bulbs.
Here's a comparision photo d2s vs ANSI9500 (d2s and d2r and identical in dims).

d2s_9500.jpg

It looks like 7-8mm difference in the "filament" (for lack of words) placement. For focal point, it's a light years difference (pun intended) :)

This is why the d2s bulbs need to be moved forward and held via adapter.
Also, there is no way you could've centered that bulb in the offset opening in the Mark viii headlights.

I am just stating facts here.

While that looks very similar to the bulbs I have mine seem to be larger for some reason? At least when they are next to a stock HID bulb as my new bulb base is larger in diameter.

Also as I was able to fully drive last night using this new system it did seem to be the slightest out of focus. As when it hit the road it was a small ring on the road. However I have had no angry flashing of lights at me from blinding anybody and the spread light pattern on the road is great!

I can see so clearly now at night up close with these driving lights that I almost hate to switch to Hi Beams on the back roads :D

...being now the proud owner of a Gen1 with HIDs, I have to say...

WOW.

I'd attempted to solve the problem by mounting a pair of 55w driving lights behind the grill. And this did help, alot.

But the HIDs changed the entire experience of driving at night. I had peripheral vision again. I didn't have to drive within the, seemingly, 15' of light I had... AND THE HIGH BEAMS- they worked. I could see half mile away.

Members online

No members online now.
Back