Alright, I've Had It!

Adapter plates are on the way as far as production. As far as my cars go, both the 94 and the 95 have a D2S conversion done to them but no plates were used. When the 95 was being put back together, I bought a kit from kenon king.com, and pretty much "silicone'd" the bulbs into place.

I have had NO problems whatsoever with them, and they light up the road just fine. No glare issues with oncomming traffic either. Jeremi and I talked in pretty good detail about producing the adapter plates, we just have to get busy on it.

There has been one person that I know of that has the plans for the plates, but he wants WAY too much for them, and i'm not about to pay it. I'll spend a little time in the garage and get the plans whipped up, then take em to the machine shop.

I know alot of you are hesitant to buy another 350-450 dollar D2S conversion kit, but the bulbs are cheaper, more plentiful, produce more light, and are more efficent then the 9500 setup that was given to us by FOMOCO.

I'll go grab some pics real quick of the 95's setup now. be back in a bit.

Mike

So whether you have HIDs or halogens, you're boned. Time to get the hacksaw and mount a pair of Cutlass supreme sealed beams back there...

JDS353 said:
Adapter plates are on the way as far as production. As far as my cars go, both the 94 and the 95 have a D2S conversion done to them but no plates were used. When the 95 was being put back together, I bought a kit from kenon king.com, and pretty much "silicone'd" the bulbs into place.

I have had NO problems whatsoever with them, and they light up the road just fine. No glare issues with oncomming traffic either. Jeremi and I talked in pretty good detail about producing the adapter plates, we just have to get busy on it.

There has been one person that I know of that has the plans for the plates, but he wants WAY too much for them, and i'm not about to pay it. I'll spend a little time in the garage and get the plans whipped up, then take em to the machine shop.

I know alot of you are hesitant to buy another 350-450 dollar D2S conversion kit, but the bulbs are cheaper, more plentiful, produce more light, and are more efficent then the 9500 setup that was given to us by FOMOCO.

I'll go grab some pics real quick of the 95's setup now. be back in a bit.

Mike

THX!

I used the HIR's in my new halogen housings, They are brighter and whiter than the halogens. I am satisfied with them.

Is Ford going to pay for all of the tickets that people will receive for not having headlights??? You guys do know that the Mark VIII was the first american car to have HID's. The 1985 Mustang SVO was the first american car to have composite flush mount head lamps. Ford has had a lot of first, They just don't produce enough replacement parts!

MediumD said:
So whether you have HIDs or halogens, you're boned. Time to get the hacksaw and mount a pair of Cutlass supreme sealed beams back there...

I like that idea! Has anyone actually tried this? I searched, but couldn't find anything. Those sealed beams that Olds used in the early-mid 90's seem like they could be fairly easily grafted onto our housings.

The other day I had to drive for about 30 miles on a curvy, hilly road at night. I stayed behind a Geo Metro the whole time and used its headlights, since they were about a thousand times better. I had to constantly ride the brakes so I wouldn't run over my headlights, but at least I could see!

EDIT: Turborich-- the '84 Mark VII was the first car with composite headlights. Not that it really changes your point, though. :)

evillally said:
Ahhh! Now we're getting somewhere. Any pics?
HIDholderA.jpg

HIDholderB.jpg

HIDballasts.jpg

Please forgive the fuzziness; this is a cellphone camera.

To cut the plastic, I used the Dremel fiberglass cutting wheel attachment.

So, regardless what crap Ford pulls, we do have a way out.

If bulbs cost $500 pair, then retrofitting an aftermarket kit is both possible and economical. Furthermore, someone is actually getting ready to make adapter plates.... that's the best news yet.

Calabrio said:
So, regardless what crap Ford pulls, we do have a way out.

If bulbs cost $500 pair, then retrofitting an aftermarket kit is both possible and economical. Furthermore, someone is actually getting ready to make adapter plates.... that's the best news yet.

Urge to kill lowering...lowering...lowering...

You're right- it's good news. I'm glad to see something positive coming out of my usual negativity for a change. It good to know that at least something is being done by competent non-Ford sources!

I feel a little better now, but at the same time still angry. Ford should not get off the hook. I want everyone who owns HID's to buy the adapters and switch over. That way, if and when Ford begin producing sh!tloads of them, they'll lose money because no one will need their crap materials and they'll be out a couple bucks. Serves em' right.

I hope these adapters can be run soon! I want these HID's on before the Summer ends. Hell, Mike, I'd pay you right now for a pair! Then, the only problem is deciding which kit would be right for the Mark VIII housings...

I've had ZERO problems with my Mccullough kit. all of the warm up times and color temperatures are the same between the Bulbs which is something I NEVER have with the phillips units I have in the 94.

turborich said:
I used the HIR's in my new halogen housings, They are brighter and whiter than the halogens. I am satisfied with them.

Is Ford going to pay for all of the tickets that people will receive for not having headlights??? You guys do know that the Mark VIII was the first american car to have HID's. The 1985 Mustang SVO was the first american car to have composite flush mount head lamps. Ford has had a lot of first, They just don't produce enough replacement parts!

the 1984 Mark vii was also the first american car with 4 channel; antilock brakes,beat the vette by 6 months with that feature.

hooray lincoln!!!

now show us the lights.

94m5 said:
I've had ZERO problems with my Mccullough kit. all of the warm up times and color temperatures are the same between the Bulbs which is something I NEVER have with the phillips units I have in the 94.

i agree 100 %

Mccullough's are some of the best hids around,

there are so many knock off crap brands out there,
i have always leaned towards Mccullough when shopping hids.

segxr7 said:
I like that idea! Has anyone actually tried this? I searched, but couldn't find anything. Those sealed beams that Olds used in the early-mid 90's seem like they could be fairly easily grafted onto our housings.

I haven't seen anyone try it, but as soon as a Mark VIII makes it to the junkyard I will be. Actually I'm going to Phoenix this weekend, so I'll try to find a set while I'm there. I'd like HIDs, but for $500 for housings and $3xx for an aftermarket kit makes >$100 for sealed beams a pretty attractive option.

94m5 said:

That's real nice and all, but it's simply a matter of fact that McCulloch kits are inferior to most of the OEM setups out there. Their higher rates of failure are undeniable. You can keep buying them if you like, but they are inferior.

It's like saying that you have an old pickup truck that never gave you a problem. It doesn't make all old pickup trucks superior in reliability to a new one.

I don't know where you got the system for your 94, but the Phillips systems I use burn brighter, warm up faster, and more evenly than any McCulloch kit that I have ever seen, and I have personally owned and installed 8 Phillips kits and 11 McCulloch kits.

Moes8 said:
i agree 100 %

Mccullough's are some of the best hids around,

there are so many knock off crap brands out there,
i have always leaned towards Mccullough when shopping hids.

McCulloch is a knock off crap brand. It just happens to be the most popular. Kind of like "Pyle" audio/video equipment or SSAutoChrome turbos.

You don't actually think that Mercedes/Benz, Ferrari, Audi or anybody actually uses McCulloch as an OEM do you?

So, if one is about to install HIDs at this point-
is it worth bothering to install all the proprietary Ford components right now, or just go with an aftermarket set up to start with.

Frankly, I'm a bit leary of doing the retrofit while I have the other parts on hand because I can't quite visualize what's involved. But at this point, I'm tempted to just part out components and use the money to pay for another system.

If you've already got the OEM components, then go ahead and toss them in, but I wouldn't count on buying used bulbs. I have a spare set of used bulbs, and they work, so I'm going to just keep using the Ford crap until they fail, but if you're going to do anything, I would recommend you buy a quality OEM D2R setup and toss it in like Schoolzone did.

That is your best bet. D2R replacement bulbs are cheap as crap too. I get them for $60, but you can get them for about $80. I have 4 classic cars and each one uses 2 HID systems (4 H5006 lights), so I have had to buy a LOT of HID systems. I've tossed in kits into my family's cars too, so to say that I have some experience with a great amount of kits is an understatement. I lost count of how many kits I've purchased and installed somewhere back in late 2003.

WOW! You guys are right. I didn't know the mark VII had composite lights before the SVO. Well ford still was the first!

Does anyone have pictures of the different housings/lens assemblies for the bulbs. How much work is involved in making an aftermarket fit?

Members online

No members online now.
Back