Fab'ed heat shield for Cold Air Intake for KKM

paulownian said:
We aren't pulling air from the hot engine compartment. We block heat from the engine while allowing the air flow to come from the front of the vehicle.
Didn't say you did, I stated that your still pulling air throu a tube instead of letting the conical pull air more freely in an open space, seperated from engine heat.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Didn't say you did, I stated that your still pulling air throu a tube instead of letting the conical pull air more freely in an open space, seperated from engine heat.

I like 02LSE96LSC91SE84TC's idea better :D :D :D :D It'll look alot nicer under the hood as well! No offense to the creater of the other Fab'ed heat sheild.

Its looking like it'll be a real nice pc. Just Ironic this thread came back to life. I've been planning on fabbing one up like I did on my MarkVIII since I bought the Intake and recognized the benefit it may have. Don't exactly need one in winter. I've switched to driving the MarkVIII as my daily driver a few weeks back and have been letting the LSE be the toy and have been taking it to the 1/4 mile on the weekend, (different thread). Getting real busy at work now so it may take a few days to move to the aluminum.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Its looking like it'll be a real nice pc. Just Ironic this thread came back to life. I've been planning on fabbing one up like I did on my MarkVIII since I bought the Intake and recognized the benefit it may have. Don't exactly need one in winter. I've switched to driving the MarkVIII as my daily driver a few weeks back and have been letting the LSE be the toy and have been taking it to the 1/4 mile on the weekend, (different thread). Getting real busy at work now so it may take a few days to move to the aluminum.

I understand man, your idea IMHO is the best for this project. I just dont have the time or resources to do something like this, cant wait until you pull through with it.

I'm tickering with the final adjustments right now, its damn slick. When I move to the aluminum some problems with may present themselves, but the design is pretty simple so maybe not. I was redoing the one on my Mark and got side tracked with perfecting the design, this one should be alot easier as it will not be a 2 pc has to fit together perfect design. Plus I was doing the Mark one kinda out of the tinker on car season. I'll get back to it later.

Bottom line guys is it does not matter what size air intake box you put on it, it still passes through the same size tube to get to the throttle body. I would think that grabbing cooler air would result in the most real world benefit as long as the part before the filter is not smaller in flow capacity than the tube between the MAF and TB.

GWL said:
Not having the time or tools needed to do a custom Air Box out of heavy material I thought that I would take a different approach and use foil insulation. The advantages for me are: Easy to make, (scissors for cutting) inexpensive enough to replace easily. Molds to available space. The disadvantage is that it does not look like a custom fabricated air box. I tested it to 95 MPH without problems (time will tell). Before installation the chrome ring on my KKM air filter was too hot to touch. After installation the filter could be handled by a bare hand comfortably. As you can tell I do not have remote thermometers to do an actual test of temperatures. Hope the pictures explain what the setup looks like in the car.

chr0me , tried to reply to your PM, but your box is full and it will not accept any more PMs.

Here is my heat shield for the KKM air filter. I am by no means a fabricator and this is a very simply project as long as you can use scissors and a ruler. It is made out of ¼ poster board from wal-mart and then I wrapped it in aluminum duct tape. I tried to give all the measurements needed. Also this was on an 03 V8 so I don’t know if it can be applied to all year models and engines. Fold on the red lines. I used krazy glue and goop to attach the bottom in the air box. It is very rigid so it should hold up. The ¼ notch allows the KKM support bracket to help hold the air box in place.

104-0427_IMG.JPG

with measurments.JPG

air box bottom.JPG

104-0414_IMG.JPG

415.JPG

416.JPG

417.JPG

418.JPG

419.JPG

420.JPG

I think that could work. NOtice if it stays alot cooler? How about sheilding off the aluminum with something different?

Just curious... Is the KKM better than the K&N Typhoon Air Intake System?

J3FF said:
I think that could work. NOtice if it stays alot cooler? How about sheilding off the aluminum with something different?

The filter stays very cool compared to the unshielded side. I don't have an accurate way to measure the temp but according to my hands the filter was warm while the other side was "ouch! that’s hot". I'm not for sure what you’re asking about with shielding off the aluminum with something else. The aluminum tape in my setup is covering 1/4 foam poster board. I tried to keep it simple because I am not a fabricator and the materials I used can be had for less than $10. I am interested in making it look better.

I know the next question will be "Did I notice any performance gains?" The answer is no, but my mileage did increase about 1 to 1.4 mpg if that makes any sense.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this further, PM me.

Dang that KKM looks nice in your car! Where did you get it? :D :D

i just put in a new intake and now it looks like im goin and buyin some plastic and makin a sweet lookin heat shield thanks for the in info bro mad props

I'm going to agree...So how about just making an aluminum double-sided wall away from the engine? The air the intake breathes comes from the bottom of the car already, the box isn't going to do much but smother the intake if you surround it. I just thought about that.

guys it has ram air... are you missing that?

Not having the time or tools needed to do a custom Air Box out of heavy material I thought that I would take a different approach and use foil insulation. The advantages for me are: Easy to make, (scissors for cutting) inexpensive enough to replace easily. Molds to available space. The disadvantage is that it does not look like a custom fabricated air box. I tested it to 95 MPH without problems (time will tell). Before installation the chrome ring on my KKM air filter was too hot to touch. After installation the filter could be handled by a bare hand comfortably. As you can tell I do not have remote thermometers to do an actual test of temperatures. Hope the pictures explain what the setup looks like in the car.

That's what I did, but with different kind of insulation. It doesn't look good, but does it job.
I also used aluminum (Home Depot FTW! That's where I also bought speaker wire for my home theater) tubing that's flexible, possible for dryers and ran it from the bottom of the "box" to the lower grille.
It's good till 143MPH (or whatever the speed limiter is set on on stock tune in 01 LS V8 w/ sport package).
Whenever car is in motion it gets ambient air. Checked it with the air intake temperature sensor with OBD2 reader.
Water/snow does not get into the box by the filter.

sorry for late reply.
I was on vacation with no internet access.
for me, it toook some time but it went in well.
I just removed the bottom flat plastic panel that's covering the engine bay to the front bumper off. it took some sweats. I spent about an hour trying to squeeze that box in there.
I dont know if this matters but my bumper is LSE, maybe standard LS bumper is smaller? maybe you can try to trim off the excess plastic on the air box.

good luck.

LSE 04+ bumper cover is lower by about an inch or so.

I work in a design/fabrication shop with all the tools and machines necessary for building anything imaginable.After reading this topic I have decided to begin building myself a heat shield for the KKM on my 03 ls V8 this week. I was wondering how many others would be interested in one? I will make a design using Auto Cad and get a quote for production tomorrow or Friday. Once the prototype is done I will take pictures of it and people can let me know if they are interested.

Members online

No members online now.
Back