LaserSVT 97 LSC progress thread

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
:dancefool
I ordered some Tokico blues for the front and rear. Car has the ebay coilover kit and the springs are nice but the struts suck and my Gabrials in the back just suck. Also have my strut rod bushings on the way (thanx Maxx) and ordered some poly bushings for the new rear shocks. I also went ahead and got the front suspension support brace kit from SCP.
Cant wait to see what the car feels like after its all in. Should handle much nicer with more accurate steering in the twisties.

I will post pics of the brace install when I do it since I dont see anyone on here with them and let you all know how it feels.
My next mods are to become a Gold Member and then order the exhaust setup from Geno and then after that do the largest rear sway bar and the engine cradle brace with the IRS support brace. Then she should be allot of fun in the corners.

BTW: Anyone know the nut size on the end of the strut rod? Is it 32mm?

I love the UPS driver! He brought me some toys today. :D
Just waiting for the braces and rear poly bushings. Had I known the Tokicos came with new bushings I prolly would not have bought the poly bushings. :(

Can anyone tell me which bushings are the outer ones and the inner ones in this picture?
IMGP0095.gif

IMGP0096.gif

We could use those when I relocate mine for my fast bags!

So can anyone tell me in that picture which strut rod busings go on the front side of the frame and which go on the rear?
I think the two that are in the same package are the rears. Anyone know?

So I decided I will use this thread as my cars progress thread since I am keeping her and gonna restore her to her original glory but with better stuff. :p

So here is where we are at.
Replaced the new strut rod bushings and installed the new Tokicos all around as well as new poly sway bar end links. One of the rear shock mounts broke and I had to fix it but it came out great! Made a huge difference and handles great now!
IMGP0136.jpg

IMGP0131.jpg

IMGP0107.gif

Then got the new seat switch holder as my old one was shot.
Before:
IMGP0099.gif

After:
IMGP0100.gif

Since then the drivers seat bracket broke but was welded today for only $10. Apparently its been cracked since I owned the car because the squeak I used to have went away. :D
IMGP0156.gif

Then the VSS went out because the wires jackets melted so I replaced the VSS before I noticed them and then temp fixed them. I am going to buy some heat shrink and slice it open and wrap them when I remember to. My power steering wires were the same way and touching. I fixed them as well and its nice to feel the steering get tighter at speeds now.
IMGP0152-1.gif

Also today it received a new power steering pressure line as my old one was leaking and I like being able to say "Car don't leak a drop" :D

My front support braces have not shown up yet but when they do I will post some install pics and give a report.

I ordered my performance rebuilt trac lok today. The guy I am buying from is real honest and knows his stuff according to two people that I know and trust. It has 500 miles on it (confirmed by a friend) before the guy decided to sell the car. He built it himself and put in the tighter spring as well as 4 clutches per side. Its coming with new bearings as well, killer deal at $75 shipped.

I am deciding between two gears right now (both 3.73) but one has 3000 miles but comes with all the shims and bearings and bolts. The other one is $20 more but brand new and no hardware. I have decided to follow Genos advise though and even though the miles may be low on the gears I already ordered the master rebuild kit and the carrier studs from Summit. So the hardware the other comes with is pointless so I guess I will just get the new one. Max took care of the rest and is exchanging the bushings I bought for my axle seals/bearings and the 21 tooth VSS gear. Again, Max you rock!
My buddy sold me two Mobil1 gear oil bottles for $5 and I will stop by the dealer tomorrow to get some Friction Modifier.... actually I could just have Max sell me some and throw it in the box. :D

The best part is my shop that I trust (the only one really) is only going to charge $200 for the diff and gear install with it in the car! :D I just have to make sure he has all the parts. That was another reason i figured I would get the master kit.

Thanks Geno for the link!
Here is the diff:
diff-1.gif

Also today I ordered my Addco 1.25" rear anti sway bar. That was another excellent deal at $134 shipped. :wrench

I should have the sway bar in next week so I will post pics and give impressions of it.

Will prolly be end of next month before I can have the gears installed though.

I am working on a barter deal right now to have my car painted (fender, bumper and blend) and have all the dings pulled out. Hope it goes through.
*crosses fingers*

Nice work man, with all the mods and maintenance you are doing, you will have one nice car when you are done with it. Good job bring it back to life, most guys just to power mods, I like the whole packing Power, handling, and looks.

how does it ride with the coil overs and tokico shocks, is it less floaty on the highway?

It feels spectacular with the Tolicos and coils! I love the way it handles and how tight it is. There is this real bad dip by my house that anything above 50mph and ther front tires hit the well. I forgot about it late last night and hit it doing 75. The car caught a little air in the front but landed so smoothly and with now bang or rub. I was shocked! Car handles so nice through the corners its just great. Completly flat with no steering corrections on high speed corners. With the braces and sway bars I should be in total love. :D

Now if one of the people selling 3.73s would just get back to me I will be ordering my gears!
After the rear goes in I will be getting my exhaust from Geno when he has the double x pipes back in stock. I dont really like the new muffler tips he has but they sound so nice and its one of the better mufflers out so I will suffer. :lol:

Oh yeah, since this is my progress and build thread I should list all the things that have been done:
New front calipers, drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads, Sniper tune, air silencer removed, 255 lph pump, new injectors, new MAF, new wheel bearings, poly sway/steering rack/endlink bushings, new power steering pump and rack, new COPs, air silencer removed, 255/50/16 tires, new inner/outer tie rods, new ball joints (all four), new upper/lower controll arms, coil conversion, Eclipse DVD nav system with touch screen, Xtant 3300c 3-channel amp (first gen), Boston Pro Components, Boston G5 10" sub, bluetooth cell, 14awg and 10awg speaker wires, shift solinoid mod, 20% tint and thats all I can remember for now. :D

Always gets Mobil 1 Synthetic when the computer tells me to. ;)

Something to be said about a freshly polished set of 10 spokes. :D
IMGP0159.jpg

IMGP0160.jpg

Car looks good! That color coupled with the chrome ten spokes makes for a good looking car. IMO, having no sunroof just adds to the clean look.

The Diff showed up today! :wrench Cant wait to install it. Quick question, isnt there supposed to be a shaft that goes through the hole in the second picture to hold the gears in place?
IMGP0162.jpg

IMGP0163.jpg

Just ordered my gears. :wrench

Got some 3.73s with under 500 miles on them for $40 :D

my car aint getting no new parts. cars rattling shaking...going to wait till it falls apart then junk it,,,,..........

Another update:
Got some of my rear install parts today. The sway bar and gears are schedualed for tomorrow to be delivered.

I just have to say that Max is the fukcing man! I have had good customer service before but his is above and beyond! I sent my strut rod bushings back to him (he practically insisted) since I couldnt use them last week. I needed the axle seal/bearings, VSS spedo gear and a bottle of Motorcraft Friction Modifier and gave him the list and asked for him to call me when he gets the return parts so I can give him my credit card for the price difference.
Well MAx never called me and UPS just showed up... with all the parts on my list! That really amazed me because I know these parts had to be a few dollars more money.

Max, you rock! Thanks so much. I will be calling you Monday to order the rest of my stuff for the gear install. Thanks again mang! :)

So just the one picture update with some minor but very important parts.
BTW, the friction modifier is sealed but still is just horrific smelling. :ack:
IMGP0166.jpg

So some more new toys showed up today. Got the gears which I may send back as one of the pinion teeth has a chip on it. Its not in a contact area so I am not sure.
Also the Addco sway bar is here and in about 30 minutes I will go install it. :D
IMGP0173.jpg

IMGP0174.jpg

IMGP0177.jpg

So the good and the bad. Gear pinion has a chipped tooth and some nicks. Fortunatly the seller said he would replace the gears on his own dime or refund me 100% and pay for return shipping. I told him as long as he has a good pinion then he can just send that to me.

Now on to the good! Got the new sway bar in, was a slight PITA getting the new bushings to bolt in but after some swearing they made it. :lol:
At first I didnt think there was any difference (other then the new bar is 3x heavier) but then I went through the turns I know well and saw that the oversteer is gone. Then through the long sweeping corners the corrections are fewer. Dont have to comensate for the rear wiggeling now. Through some slalom driving was a big difference. Before you would turn and the car took a moment to "set" and then would have slight oversteer as you go around the cones (or reflectors in my case :D ). Now it "sets" as soon as you turn and no drama as the tail rapidly changes direction.
Also I have a section of road that sunk down the center of the North bound lane about 2". The car used to hit that and the passenger side would drop and the car would dart to the left some. Now the passenger side drops but the car does not try and go left. Very nice, very nice indeed. The ride has not been compromised at all eaither. It is more solid but not harsher at all.

Only downside is the mount bushings squeak a little. I will give them a little time to set in and if they continue to squeak then I will spray some lube in them.

Anyway, out with the old and in with the new. :wrench
IMGP0178.jpg

IMGP0179.jpg

IMGP0180.jpg

Members online

Back