Supercharged Ls V8

2001LS8Sport said:
You're barking up the wrong tree here. You completely misinterpreted Quik's response. I have NEVER seen him throw "a fit" on this site. As a matter of fact, he is probably the most helpful single individual you will find here...and the most innovative. If you want to alienate yourself here, make another comment like that. You will find yourself on an island....

I am not barking up any tree here. It was settled with Quik's response so why add your two cents? I understand that Quik is a highly respected member of this site and probably for good reason too, but that is not to say that just because a member is respected at a site that they are excused for being a little snooty now and then. Sorry, but everything is an even playing field in here. His reply to my post had a smartazz feel to it which I thought was uncalled for. Just cool down and leave it alone 2001LS8Sport.

More 2 cents!

Leave "Quick LS" alone! He's not a smart ass!

He and Ken Garrison know more about LS's than Lincoln!

There is nothing snooty about him! His technical advice is worth the price of admission alone!

Guys, lets not go crazy here.

First the "dude..whenever I do a custom..." then a "wow, I never thought of that, DUH of course that's what I did" they had a little exchange of words. I don't think either meant to upset each other. Perhaps Lou had a long day. It's the Internet everyone, just relax.

Enjoy the weekend. I will - until it snows. :-/

-Matt

mdrobnak said:
Guys, lets not go crazy here.

First the "dude..whenever I do a custom..." then a "wow, I never thought of that, DUH of course that's what I did" they had a little exchange of words. I don't think either meant to upset each other. Perhaps Lou had a long day. It's the Internet everyone, just relax.

Enjoy the weekend. I will - until it snows. :-/

-Matt

Well said... Quik and I settled any misunderstanding or minor quarrel we had so those of you still crying about it, just stop perpetuating it and move on. This thread is not about this.

Ok i need an update it has been too long? Do we have any numbers yet.

not yet - still waiting on a belt.... ;(

we really do not want to change the belt routing we've made as it fits both the 00-02 and the 03+ V8s - and the new belt for the 03 V8 is easy to get. Geoff Knight is help me now to work through the various vendors....

I have the update tune file to start with - and then will use datalogger to provide feedback to the tuner to improve the tune.

I have a Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Lambda cable and wideband sensor to do the a/f.

.... so hopefully a belt away from starting it up - then troubleshooting....

When it's done and you're ready to mass produce them......I want one. I'm getting ready to throw an ATI D-1SC on my 93 Trans Am and thought: How cool would it be to have TWO blown cars in the household!!!!

just a thought for the belt. if you can't find the correct one maybe find contacts at the companies that actually make the belts. maybe they can make you a custom belt. I had a few times (not with belts) where the manufacturers made me a custom item. They hope to get return on it if it becomes a popular need. one electronic company made me a specific multi-throw, multi-poll switch for free and even shipped it for free, they billed it internally as a "prototype".

as matter of fact if you want give some specifics I'll find some email addresses and send some emails too.

Well it looks like Geoff Knight was able to locate some options with his contact within Gates - so he has both a 130" and 132.5" belts coming to him - then to me to try.

They are willing to do a custom job - minimum order is 50 - so like to avoid that if I can.

Here are the measurements:
- with tensioner fully un-loaded - 133inches
- with tensioner loaded to correct placement - 130.5inches

6rib - but will split 7 or 8....

good news - got a belt - it's a Ford stocked belt for a truck 132.44" 8 ribs. I cut it down to 6 ribs and spent 2 hours getting it on - fits perfectly and the tensioner is in the stock loaded location.

I filled the coolant up and charged the battery. Then uploaded a new tune from torrie into the car.

I then started it....................

and it ran for about 5mins - sounds very serious.

but I shut it down when I notice a leak on one of the injectors - at the rail.

so I have a 'little' work to do......

I probably pinched an o-ring or just have it a bit off on the mount....

very close...(I hope)!

belt installed 1.jpg

best installed 2.jpg

Gosh what a teaser I was getting all excited and the you shut it off. I can't wait to see some number. Also how long before we can start placing orders?

looking good. quick how much clearance is there to the lower right where the belt almost touches itself off the dummy pulley? looks in the pick like its nearly rubbing.

yep - it's close (1/4") but everything clears - I'm amazed. At least I have good wrap on the SC pulley ;)

I'm sure there's more troubleshooting after I fix the leaky injector....

Honestly I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and would never attempt half the stuff you do...but that sure seams like quite a wrap around the SC pulley. Are you concerned about damage or the belt coming apart at high RPM's? just wondering

@ quick
Do you have a intake designed for this setup?

I assume since you have a scoop you are going to try route it back to there.

If you have it designed can you post some pics?

Or can you post sketches of what you have intended;

Well - I gonna keep is as much in the stock locations as posible.

Here are pics of the engine bay with and without the eingine cover.

stage3.jpg

stage3 covers.jpg

beaups said:
Honestly I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and would never attempt half the stuff you do...but that sure seams like quite a wrap around the SC pulley. Are you concerned about damage or the belt coming apart at high RPM's? just wondering

nah - look at most OE applications - even the cobra is like that.

Hey Quik, got a question. How similar are the engines on the LS and the Jaguar S-type (V8s)? Would the supercharger from the S-type fit on the LS? Would it be a more expensive task than the one that you've done?

not very similar at all. I posted a tread about all the components shared between the two - you should be able to find it.

only the block are the same. the head, stoke (hence 4.0L vs 3.9L) and PCM are all very different.

the McLaren LS used a similar setup - very expensive to build (like $7k in parts). The first post in this thread is from the auction of that setup for the LS (similar to the S-Type R).....

I'm looking to build about as much power on half the $$$ - and half an aftermarket of parts to build more with.

What's your estimate on the amount of horses you'll be adding? I'll be waiting for your results. Patent that baby asap so we can start buying.

Members online

No members online now.
Back