Supercharged Ls V8

Quik,
I put two bottles of Redline Water Wetter per two gallons of fluid in my main radiator (I know that is more than they recommend) and it helped overall engine temp alot and I filled my intercooler radiator with only Water Wetter and 1 cup of coolant (for seal lubrication for the pump). It was a 4 gallon radiator from a VW Sirocco. The intercooler dropped my temps by 154 degrees allowing me to run a 2.6" pulley with 15 lbs of boost, no KR, and 24 degrees of timing on the street with proper tuning. Here is a pic of what I was using
intercoolerextreme.JPG

Now I know mine was an air to water and a different setup but dropping temps is the end result we both needed. I suggest you try some Water Wetter!!

Bigger exhaust leaves less exhaust in the combustion chamber and more room for intake air, hence the lower boost pressure. I understand you want a CERTAIN amount of back pressure for a whole bunch of reasons. Still an engine is nothing more than an air pump. You are just making it a butting kicking one.

“I went to a local shop and made a custom cat-back - 2.5" piping with few bends, magnaflow x-pipe, flowmaster 40s, magnaflow quad tips....

reports from the prototypes it that 3" piping lost too much back pressure.”

SC is a positive displacement pump.... ideally you want the boost to get smaller for a give CFM. This will result in an exponential (to the 3RD!!!) increase in power to the wheels because of the pump laws.

But if you are saying that what you have works… then… Guess I gon-do that!

right - I understand - again we are aiming for 4-5psi - and the car will realistically be a full boost a small percent of the time.

Ideally once I get mine working, the next few will be on a combination of stock to modded LSes - and with the proper tuning we'll know what the range output will be. I do want a totally stock LS to be able to handle it.

GrayGhost1 said:
Damn MsM8tress....you just need to take a trip down to Austin, TX and thank Lou personally! I'm sure his wife won't mind! LOL!

That would be fantastic. What a lucky lady, I'd give my eye teeth to be able to sit and listen to Quick talk about engines and his ideas on how to get more outta what cha got or hand friggin wrenches and car parts to.....damn....some ladies have all the luck!

SMOOCHES!!
MsM8

allkesh said:
Gotcha.

Couldn't imagine what a full bore SC LS would be like. SOmething crazy like 500hp or something.

well - not 500hp on stock internals.....

I would LOVE to see 400hp with stock internals and bolt ons!

What is the weak link for the stock internals?
Pistons, rods and bolts? I know the high compression ratio isn't forced induction friendly.

Is there any overlap on the stock cams? Superchargers are more intolerant than turbo when it comes to overlap.

allkesh said:
I would LOVE to see 400hp with stock internals and bolt ons!

What is the weak link for the stock internals?
Pistons, rods and bolts? I know the high compression ratio isn't forced induction friendly.

Is there any overlap on the stock cams? Superchargers are more intolerant than turbo when it comes to overlap.

We don't really know that much about the engine limits - other than I ran 100shot of NOS for a about a year - nothing broke.

I believe the weak links will be:
- the 8" rear end
- the 5R55N trannie

Are you going to stick with the open diff? One wheel peels suck and have the AdvanceTrac kickiing in everytime you floor it would get old?

What happened when you floored it with NOS?

for now - we have not been able to find a suitable replacement - though some of the team over at LLSOC were trying to convert to a Torsen - not sure where that project stands.

on NOS - I spun through 80" - but that could have been what kept my rear end and trannie in one piece....

looked at many, many times - challenges on both the phsyical match and on the electronics. Probably would have better luck working with the trannie from the new Mustang.

Quik LS said:
looked at many, many times - challenges on both the phsyical match and on the electronics. Probably would have better luck working with the trannie from the new Mustang.

The tranny from the Mustang is pretty much identical to the 5R55N tranny. Same goes for the W as well that is in the new gen Explorers. Level 10 offers a build for the 5R55N, S trannies that costs $3,300 and will hold 700rwhp. They also offer that same build for the 5R55W trannies that will hold 700rwhp but it only costs $2,800 for the build. Just a little info being that I have been tracking tranny builders for this series of trannies for about 2.5 years now. Art Carr is also currently R&D'ing the build for a 5R55S tranny for a fellow I know on another board so they may be coming out with an offering for these in less than 6 months or so.

BTW, those price quotes are without the new TC that would be required to handle all that torque and launch the vehicle at whatever rpm you wanted to.

2001LS8Sport said:
....Damn Quik....I think you just got propositioned!!! I had this brief glimpse in my mind of you and her and the fender of your car....
LS8..should I wonder why your thinkin bout me and Quick on a fender....or just get your credit card number.....hehehe

SMOOCH!

MsM8

Well - here are some pics of the intercooler install in progress....

the bumper is tougher than it looks.

before.jpg

middle.jpg

Quik LS said:
Well - here are some pics of the intercooler install in progress....

the bumper is tougher than it looks.

Hell Quik I didnt realize that you had to go with an air/air IC, I just assumed that since you were running a roots, that it would be a water/air IC. Hmm. Not too shabby. ;)

MsM8tress said:
LS8..should I wonder why your thinkin bout me and Quick on a fender....or just get your credit card number.....hehehe

SMOOCH!

MsM8

LOL...I have to admit...I deserved that one!!!

cant wait to see what amt of pressure the manifold takes......i have been debating about doing a twin turbo setup.

Wishmissle said:
cant wait to see what amt of pressure the manifold takes......i have been debating about doing a twin turbo setup.

what are you going to do for internals? Twin turbos seem like overkill for a engine that can only handle ~ 400hp without internals. It would be cool to see.

Quik, are the Marauder engines that much stronger than the newer LS? I was just curious as they are only rated at 302HP and with SC get in the 450 RWHP range with moderate boost. I would also think the rear differential would be a limiting factor as well in the LS.

yep - the Marauder came with the mustang quad valve 4.6L

- 4,601 cc 4.6 liters V 8 front engine with 90.2 mm bore, 90 mm stroke, 10.1 compression ratio, double overhead cam and four valves per cylinder 99V
-Power: 302 HP SAE @ 5,750 rpm; 318 ft lb @ 4,250 rpm

lot's of room for modding...

Quik LS said:
what are you going to do for internals? Twin turbos seem like overkill for a engine that can only handle ~ 400hp without internals. It would be cool to see.

Thats what I was thinking! hehehe. Better build the bottom end of that engine if he plans to run twins!

Members online

No members online now.
Back