The results of 4 hours of detailing

Someone had to post some pics. How can you name a thread "The result of hours of detailing" and then not post any pics?

Okay, so it's part of the paint process that causes the orange peal effect.

Wet sanding is the usual way to correct this?

What does wet sanding do to the paint job? Strip the clear coat? Prepare the paint for oxidation?

What does wet sanding do to the paint job? Strip the clear coat? Prepare the paint for oxidation?

wet sanding is using fine sand paper with water to even out a layer of paint

nice.....but you have illegally parked in two spots and you are parked in a handicap spot with not handicap sticker....:shifty:

It's chrome pillar crazy around here this week. My eyes are bleeding from all the reflections

FActories will puposely add texture - "orange peel" - to the paint. This does a few different things. First, it helps to hide any slight imperfections in the panel. SEcond, and this is more important on lower panels, textured paint helps keep rock chips localized. If you wet sand the surface completely smooth, and a rock hits it, it will spiderweb (kind of like glass on the windshield). This is why typically only very high end or show cars have little to no orange peel.

Wet sanding the orange peel down does remove a significant amount of clear coat.Although, you are really only removing the peaks. However, it should be noted that you do need a minimum thickness of clearcoat before it starts to fail.

As far as "preparing for oxidation", That is what your paint sealant/wax is for. It is a sacrificial barrier to absorb the UV rays that would instead be absorbed by the paint. The only way to "prepare your car for oxidation" is to not have a protective coating on the paint film surface.

What grit did you use ?

Mostly 2000. On the rougher areas, I started with 1500, then followed with 2000. Then Menzerna Power Gloss/wool pad, then Menzerna Super Intensive polish/green foam polishing pad, then Menzerna PO85rd/3M UK blue waffle finishing pad.

Mostly 2000. On the rougher areas, I started with 1500, then followed with 2000. Then Menzerna Power Gloss/wool pad, then Menzerna Super Intensive polish/green foam polishing pad, then Menzerna PO85rd/3M UK blue waffle finishing pad.

nice thread hijack. why don't the mods rename this thread to detailing with pektel the pic whore

Nice job, OP.

That is one clean-ass white LS! Paint looks to be in great shape!

ditch that front plate!

Dude, don't park in Handicapped spots. You never know when someone will need one. And yes, I have a vested interest; my father-in-law is handicapped.

You should paint your keypad body color. It looks much nicer, especially on a light colored car. BTW, that stupid pin stripe is gone. I peeled it off!

colour matched key pad 001.jpg

colour matched key pad 002.jpg

Nice job, OP.

That is one clean-ass white LS! Paint looks to be in great shape!

ditch that front plate!

thanks a lot man i really appreciate it, and as far as the plate goes i want to get rid of it but NJ requires a front plate, i got a $54 ticket for that a few years back.

Dude, don't park in Handicapped spots. You never know when someone will need one. And yes, I have a vested interest; my father-in-law is handicapped.

You should paint your keypad body color. It looks much nicer, especially on a light colored car. BTW, that stupid pin stripe is gone. I peeled it off!

lol everyone relax i was parked there for literally 5 minutes, and the parking garage was completely empty. And ill look into painting the keypad thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back