v6ers read this

I guess we've pushed some buttons, which is fine. Nobody said being different isnt ok. Dude's first post was asking what performance parts were available for the V6...which is very very slim. So we have stated the reality that with the resources currently available there isnt much to be done with a V6 LS. If its a life long dream to make a 2000 V6 LS that can beat a M5 then go for it. If dude has the $20,000 then thats cool, but with cars and performance there is limits to what money can produce if he keeps the stock 3.0 V6. When you start talking engine swaps then you are getting into waaay more than just putting a new engine in. I am sure someone like Chip Foose could take the body from an LS and completely match a whole new engine,drivetrain,pcm controls and the million little things to have a LS that can produce tons of horsepower and still function. Look at what Quik has gone thru and he still has yet to turn the key and have it work, and if/when it works who knows what kind of power and drivability it will have. I applaud anyone who wants to take on a new task but there needs to be a reality check to begin with. I can respect quik because he is getting his hands dirty. Paying someone to "make" a car for you isnt nearly as respectable.

I agree.

Fla02LS said:
I guess we've pushed some buttons, which is fine. Nobody said being different isnt ok. Dude's first post was asking what performance parts were available for the V6...which is very very slim. So we have stated the reality that with the resources currently available there isnt much to be done with a V6 LS. If its a life long dream to make a 2000 V6 LS that can beat a M5 then go for it. If dude has the $20,000 then thats cool, but with cars and performance there is limits to what money can produce if he keeps the stock 3.0 V6. When you start talking engine swaps then you are getting into waaay more than just putting a new engine in. I am sure someone like Chip Foose could take the body from an LS and completely match a whole new engine,drivetrain,pcm controls and the million little things to have a LS that can produce tons of horsepower and still function. Look at what Quik has gone thru and he still has yet to turn the key and have it work, and if/when it works who knows what kind of power and drivability it will have. I applaud anyone who wants to take on a new task but there needs to be a reality check to begin with. I can respect quik because he is getting his hands dirty. Paying someone to "make" a car for you isnt nearly as respectable.

I dont think the LS was built to compete with the beamer in regards to performace...I think they wanted to attract people with a not so much of a "grandpa" lincoln and get into the younger crowd. Everytime I tell someone I own a lincoln, they automatically think I drive A. my dads car or B. my grandpas car. They wanted to steal people away from the BMW and Mercedes not for performances reasons, but for appearances. Why did we buy the LS? I would bet most of us would say because its different than everyone elses beamer and benz. Most didnt buy it for the power and handling.

HyeLifeLS said:
My man, the LS is too far from being a 540i winner, any LS, even 06 V8 you can't compare with a 540i in any performance category, even if some magazine (only one) came up with only 0.01g of grip over the 540i, doesn't mean that that car is gonna win in other categories, such as, braking, accelerating and others.

The LS was targeted between the 530i and the 540i

It beat the 530i in acceration and out-handled the 540i.

The LS is a world-class car. The amount of power needs to be increased to keep up with the competition - but the car is 6 years old now.

Lincoln LS : Accolades - The 2003 Lincoln LS has better handling performance than the BMW 540i

Lincoln LS V8 outshines BMW 540i in recent AMCI handling performance tests*

We're excited to announce that the Lincoln LS V8 outperformed the BMW 540i in recent handling performance tests.* The tests were conducted by Automotive Marketing Consultants Incorporated (AMCI), an independent testing firm that mimics actual driving conditions to accurately compare automobile performance. They compared the handling performance of the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and the 2003 BMW 540i.

The results? The Lincoln LS V8 out cornered, out slalomed and had better handling performance than the BMW 540i on both wet and dry pavements.

What's behind this performance? The LS V8's rear-wheel drive, Formula 1 inspired sport-tuned suspension and near 50/50 weight distribution combine to provide excellent road grip and steering control. And the all-speed traction control and speed-sensitive, rack-and-pinion ZF steering system work together to ensure controlled braking, accelerating and cornering in various pavement conditions and emergency driving situations.

AMCI also measured acceleration performance. We always knew the LS V8 was fast, but how about 0-60 mph in 6.42 seconds*? The available 280-horsepower V8 engine with variable cam timing and electronic throttle control guarantees a thrilling performance.

With results like these, it's no wonder the new Lincoln LS is the driver's luxury car.

*AMCI-certified testing of the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and 2003 BMW 540i.

ridinprettyls said:
I dont think the LS was built to compete with the beamer in regards to performace...I think they wanted to attract people with a not so much of a "grandpa" lincoln and get into the younger crowd. Everytime I tell someone I own a lincoln, they automatically think I drive A. my dads car or B. my grandpas car. They wanted to steal people away from the BMW and Mercedes not for performances reasons, but for appearances. Why did we buy the LS? I would bet most of us would say because its different than everyone elses beamer and benz. Most didnt buy it for the power and handling.

The LS was aimed squarely at the 5-series. In fact, Lincoln bought a 5-series to show the engineers where they needed to go. That's why the LS has all those expensive aluminum parts. Also, there was a test between an '03 V8 LS and a 540. Ther LS won every test except 0-60. I don't remember the testing company, but Lincoln did a commercial using the results. I saw the commercial pre-release. It was quite well done!

As to V6 stuff, there's only CAI and exhaust (which includes the X-pipe). There is not now, nor I doubt ever will be, a stroker kit for the 3L.

ridinprettyls said:

I agree, I bought my car to be different. Im tired of seeing all these same old 3 series and c240s on the street, I just yawn every time I see one. I like when people say, what kind of car is that? Instead of saying ohh thats just a bmw, my mom has one, my neighboor has one, my friend has one, whatever.. this car had very good potential, they should of dropped the sc4.2 in here just like the jag, and we would of meant bussiness. Last week I was head on making a turn with another LS and the driver was amazed at my angel eyes and all my other appearance mods that he almost crashed while turning. I dont want to be like the crowd and just have the same car like everyone else, and im pretty sure neither do you guys.

that is a well done commercial, only one problem, the dirt road

LoL... with NO2, anything is possible. Ive never been in a car running nos, how does it feel when you spray? does it pull you hard? or what?

well I beat that car without the gas I only had no exhaust at the time....(due to a blow out) I have sprayed it once and it pull hard.....I am waiting to back of some timing first..... I have a a/f gauge inside and I says the car was still running rich but I dont want to relie on that because It could be running alittle of and No enough for the o2 sensor down stream to pick it up......That is way I cant wait to get on the dyno with wideband....

Getting power out of the 3.0

If you want really silly power, then by all means swap out the engine. The V6 Duratec 3.0 has been modified to put out up to 425 hp, just check out the 3.0 that goes in the Noble M400.

http://www.noblecars.com/specification.htm

Of course then you run into problems with the tranny, it's only engineered to handle around 250 hp.

I would be happy just installing a supercharged 3.8 V6 like I use to have in my Thunderbird SuperCoupe. That was a fun car that surprised alot of ricers. lol

I think a Grand National setup would be sweet inside a LS. 18 yr old technology that'll still blow the doors off of new ones.

Here ya go!

ok the 3.0 liter V6 in an LS is a 3.0 liter V6 in a Mustang, so if you can find parts for the Mustang then they would be the same for the LS. Granted that there will more than likely be some bracket mods because under the hood an LS and a Mustang are setup differently but as far as engines go remember Ford Makes Lincoln and Ford Repairs Lincoln, so the only logical anwser is that Ford will upgrade Lincoln. Any Questions? lewallen@cableone.net

Mustang uses a different V6, it is a 12 valve 4.0 V6 engine not 24 valve Duratec that goes in the LS. The mustang V6 has the same power as the 00-01 LS V6 (210), but a lot more torque 240lb vs 205lb in the LS. The LS V6 is using the same engine as taurus, Jag X-type 3.0, jag S-type 3.0, the new Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephir and some other Ford cars but not the Mustang.

Lewallen said:
ok the 3.0 liter V6 in an LS is a 3.0 liter V6 in a Mustang, so if you can find parts for the Mustang then they would be the same for the LS. Granted that there will more than likely be some bracket mods because under the hood an LS and a Mustang are setup differently but as far as engines go remember Ford Makes Lincoln and Ford Repairs Lincoln, so the only logical anwser is that Ford will upgrade Lincoln. Any Questions? lewallen@cableone.net

HyeLifeLS said:
Mustang uses a different V6, it is a 12 valve 4.0 V6 engine not 24 valve Duratec that goes in the LS. The mustang V6 has the same power as the 00-01 LS V6 (210), but a lot more torque 240lb vs 205lb in the LS. The LS V6 is using the same engine as taurus, Jag X-type 3.0, jag S-type 3.0, the new Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephir and some other Ford cars but not the Mustang.
Yep...bad example dude. Thats like saying all vodka is the same, they all use the same processes and ingredients. There is definately differences between brands.

here is my 2 cents.

quick ls i read that ad you posted a while back but I kinda question it:

an independent testing firm that mimics actual driving conditions to accurately compare automobile performance

is this really a viable test? what is it like computer simulated driving? Or is it just taking corners at normal speeds and doing the speed limits etc?

also I read a LS review in road and track or motor trend way back in 2000. They compared the 540 and the LSV8 and in most things the 540 was better but the magazine rated the LS a better car overall because of the price tag. close to the 540's performance for $1000's less. Most of us here know we don't have the best car but we can do a lot of fun stuff and still look good for only $35K, $33K... and I think it important to remember because when a review rates a car better than another the reason is lost in the churn that is created by fans, or those that dislike the car that was rated worse. A civic will always rate better in performance then a viper. Gas mileage performance that is. So when you’re not comparing apples to apples, sometimes you find that apples are better than sex and we all know sex is way better than apples. Except apples help strengthen your teeth. I always thought a good idea would be a competition between car companies where exact specs are given for a cars design. The companies design the car and compete. The better engineers would have a better car even if they both looked like apples.

at this point I know this is just a rant but sometimes I need a break here at work.

jokken said:
here is my 2 cents.

quick ls i read that ad you posted a while back but I kinda question it:

is this really a viable test? what is it like computer simulated driving? Or is it just taking corners at normal speeds and doing the speed limits etc?

yes - at the time it was accurate. the problem with the LS is that it was a leader for a very brief momment in time, Ford didn't capitalize on it, and then a few years later - the competition upgraded.

I was talking about the Duratec engine that all of those cars use, the electronics might be different but the blocks are the same anyways.

Fla02LS said:
Yep...bad example dude. Thats like saying all vodka is the same, they all use the same processes and ingredients. There is definately differences between brands.

HyeLifeLS said:
i was refering to the 00' mustang V6 3.0 this info isnt just my opinion ive talked to the ford tech guys at my local dealership they say if you can find parts for that year they will work with the ls. i wasnt talking about cams pistons and rings i was talking more about the intake, exhaust, and maybe even turbo or super.

The 2000 Mustang has a 3.8 V6.

Lewallen said:
i was refering to the 00' mustang V6 3.0 this info isnt just my opinion ive talked to the ford tech guys at my local dealership they say if you can find parts for that year they will work with the ls. i wasnt talking about cams pistons and rings i was talking more about the intake, exhaust, and maybe even turbo or super.

Members online

Back