What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Just had a reminder as to why I never go wot.

Stinky.jpg

Because Asian guys stink?

All I got from that was an asian w/ big boobs.

On a side note, that crown vic was a pile of sh!t. Crusty fenders and bad paint. If I needed a car today I wouldn't mind throwing on a couple fenders and plastdip but it's not something i'd give the Mark up for.

That looks good! I'm planning to do something similar with mine. I've already done the outside b-pillars and inside door panel on the passenger side. Planning to continue the carbon fiber all the way across the dash and do the wood center stack as well. What did you use? Vinyl wrap or adhesive sheet like you get at Auto Zone?

Ah. Almost forgot. Has anyone ever removed the rear window from a Mark? If so, how difficult is it and exactly how do you do it. I'm planning to swap the rear window from my '97 into the '95 and use the integrated antenna. Also the defroster works on the '97 but not on the '95. And the tint on the '95 is terrible. I can barely see out the back window. Thanks! :)

Running the antenna wire will be fun, its normally routed under the headliner.

The glass shop I use for tint will remove and install my rear glass for $140, I'd call some places near you and ask for prices.

I let my wife drive her 97 back from the hospital, after my surgery. The left exit going to the highway had a sign 45mph. I glanced down and she was doing 70. No wonder her car needs a lot of maintenance. Surgery, piece of cake, the ride home, a little scary.

What did you use? Vinyl wrap or adhesive sheet like you get at Auto Zone?
the product I used is from Metro Restyling, heat sensitive vinyl. http://www.metrorestyling.com/Carbon-FiberVinyl-Wrap-s/25.htm
using a heat gun (conservatively) makes wrapping the edges a breeze. Just warm the contour and you have about 3-5 seconds to form it. For the brown car i used gray CF vinyl, it looks good, but kinda like duct tape, I may re-do it with the extra black stuff from this job

the product I used is from Metro Restyling, heat sensitive vinyl. http://www.metrorestyling.com/Carbon-FiberVinyl-Wrap-s/25.htm
using a heat gun (conservatively) makes wrapping the edges a breeze. Just warm the contour and you have about 3-5 seconds to form it. For the brown car i used gray CF vinyl, it looks good, but kinda like duct tape, I may re-do it with the extra black stuff from this job
That came out great. I have some chrome stuff coming, and I hope the heat gun works.

Running the antenna wire will be fun, its normally routed under the headliner.

The glass shop I use for tint will remove and install my rear glass for $140, I'd call some places near you and ask for prices.

Thanks. The only problem is that the '97 is on blocks and they'd have to come out to the house to do the swap. I'm trying to save a little money by doing it myself. Just trying to see how difficult it will be. It doesn't look fun :( And with my luck I'll probably break it trying to remove it :rolleyes:

Cool thanks. I used the adhesive sheet for what I've done so far. I don't have a heat gun though :(

Its really not that hard, I used a long claw blade linoleum knife, but I bet a serated bread knife would work. Just lift the side edge of the molding and slide the blade thru, keeping the blade kinda flat to the inside of the glass. Then work your way up, and down. The corners will be the trickiest part. I suggest removing the 1/4 inner panel to keep from cutting it

Most of the shops will use a long blade reciprocating saw, but thats a bit overkill. Makes the job a WHOLE lit easier thou

007328ec.jpg

4b7416eb.jpg

Its really not that hard, I used a long claw blade linoleum knife, but I bet a serated bread knife would work. Just lift the side edge of the molding and slide the blade thru, keeping the blade kinda flat to the inside of the glass. Then work your way up, and down. The corners will be the trickiest part. I suggest removing the 1/4 inner panel to keep from cutting it

Most of the shops will use a long blade reciprocating saw, but thats a bit overkill. Makes the job a WHOLE lit easier thou

Man you guys have some major balls to do that! Great job!

Installed one coil and one spark plug. Now I'm off to the grocery store to get an oil change.

Installed one coil and one spark plug. Now I'm off to the grocery store to get an oil change.

And then to the video store for an alignment?
Starbucks does great paint jobs, as long as it's a mocha color

And then to the video store for an alignment?
Starbucks does great paint jobs, as long as it's a mocha color

Video store for an alignment? Come on now, don't be silly. This is 2014. All the video stores are closed. I stream alignments via Netflix!

Big local chain grocery store by me has a gas station/oil change/ car wash place in the parking lot. I had a $10 off coupon. $22 out the door.

Thaywood, if you are going to do the window thing I have a buddy who does it for a living and he says to use lots and lots of window cleaner like Windex as a lubricant for the blade. Makes it easier and do not try to cut too much at once, just take your time. As I have never done one myself I cannot say but would it not make sense to cut from the inside out rather than in? Just a question as I have never seen it done from the outside. Sapper can maybe answer it better as he has done it.

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to get this done myself. But as with everything else, I don't know when I'll get to it. I'm trying to use every single thing I can off the '97 LSC on the '95 before I scrap the body. And if I can make that rear window work on the '95 it'll be great. This will more than likely be a summer weekend project.

On a side note, why the hell does it take stuff so damn long to get here from China? :lol:

It's far easier to do it from outside the car. I tried my first one from inside, and unless youre one of those contortionist people, itll be hella uncomfortable.

I did the sides first, then slide a very thin wedge in the center, then do the top, pop the trunk and do the bottom. Just use a SHARP blade, like brand new sharp.
Then use a grinder with a sanding disk to remove the goo that remains

Use the proper window glue, not silicone from Home Depot. Then tape the edges down for a day and don't lift the car for a couple days

Members online

No members online now.
Back