What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Thanks Rushsampson! I really like my 'Bird. She's the 5th T-bird I've owned. My first was a 1967 with a 428 Thunderjet. And then I had an '88 Turbo and an '87 Turbo, both with 5-speeds. And last a 1993 Sport with the 5.0 HO V-8. The 4.6L SOHC V-8 in the 'Bird is pretty peppy. But it is 85hp off the "Mark", so to speak ;) It puts out 205hp as compared to the LSC's 290hp. I am hoping this guy calls me back about the '96 LSC. If he'll take $1800, I'll buy it (assuming I get the money from my accident settlement soon). It's a good looking car. And the guy selling it doesn't know a damn thing about Mark VIIIs. He thinks he does, but the more he talked, the more I just wanted to slap him. He also had two of the wheels on backwards and he didn't believe me when I told him and then SHOWED him that they were backward :rolleyes: He also didn't believe the front end was sitting on the ground because the bags werre leaking. Even after he started it up and the compressor labored for a good minute picking the front end up. He thought it was "supposed" to sit that way. But I'd almost buy it just for the headlights :) And I really do want another GEN1. I miss my Mark very badly... :(

Thanks Rushsampson! I really like my 'Bird. She's the 5th T-bird I've owned. My first was a 1967 with a 428 Thunderjet. And then I had an '88 Turbo and an '87 Turbo, both with 5-speeds. And last a 1993 Sport with the 5.0 HO V-8. The 4.6L SOHC V-8 in the 'Bird is pretty peppy. But it is 85hp off the "Mark", so to speak ;) It puts out 205hp as compared to the LSC's 290hp. I am hoping this guy calls me back about the '96 LSC. If he'll take $1800, I'll buy it (assuming I get the money from my accident settlement soon). It's a good looking car. And the guy selling it doesn't know a damn thing about Mark VIIIs. He thinks he does, but the more he talked, the more I just wanted to slap him. He also had two of the wheels on backwards and he didn't believe me when I told him and then SHOWED him that they were backward :rolleyes: He also didn't believe the front end was sitting on the ground because the struts werre leaking. Even after he started it up and the compressor labored for a good minute picking the front end up. He thought it was "supposed" to sit that way. But I'd almost buy it just for the headlights :) And I really do want another GEN1. I miss my Mark very badly... :(

Finally, somebody who gets it.

What I did today

Moved a bunch of parts from a storage garage I rent and moved them to my shop to sort and put in stock. Anybody need anything?

garage 001.JPG

garage 002.JPG

garage 003.jpg

garage 004.jpg

garage 005.JPG

nothing lately, I moved again and am currently without garage/storage space....now live 7 miles from work...the jmod plus tune offer a nice snap on the white one, the Lincoln man who did the jmod told me $850 to r/r the ac compressor....3 days after i got it back (8 weeks ago) I realized the ac was suddenly working ice cold, he obviously charged the system then quoted me for the big job...so much for at least one honest mechanic....lying p.o.s

Bruce, that looks kinda like my garage, and my sister's garage, and my work. Way too many parts. I need to start listing some stuff for sale.

I love the sound of a saws all in the morning!
Just cutting away old exhaust pipe... it can be so relaxing in the waiting room.

Thought I had a brake line leak on the 97. YAAAAA no leak. The sound deadening stuff inside of the fender lining was wet and was dripping on the brake line. Had to give the wife her 95 back, and only a few little things to do to get it to 100%.

Did a wash, and registered for another year. On the way home from the car wash though, I pulled away from a light, and thought for sure I was feeling a touch of TC shudder, but then it could have been the awful road too. I hate not knowing for sure with stuff like this. So I drove around some time around town to try to replicate it, and if it was indeed a shudder, then it decided it didn't want to do it again. Maybe it's time to feed the old 4R70W some Dr. Tranny just for chucks. :(

Did a wash, and registered for another year. On the way home from the car wash though, I pulled away from a light, and thought for sure I was feeling a touch of TC shudder, but then it could have been the awful road too. I hate not knowing for sure with stuff like this. So I drove around some time around town to try to replicate it, and if it was indeed a shudder, then it decided it didn't want to do it again. Maybe it's time to feed the old 4R70W some Dr. Tranny just for chucks. :(

At what mph did you notice it? Could've been a slight misfire too.

That Dr. Tranny is something else though, love it.

Looks much better on the bird.

Indeed!

It was right at take off, so no more than 10-15mph. I'm beginning to think I was feeling things. I just came back from a jaunt on the interstate, to see how things are at highway speeds, everything is as it should be. She's thrown no codes, and if it was a misfire, it must not have been enough to trigger a CEL. Still all kinds of clout above 3k RPM too, so it appears as though the IMRCs are still as they should be as well, though I believe the '96s throw a code for IMRC failure anyway. I pulled the codes for fun about a month ago, and it was happy as a clam in the mudflats, not even any ancient stuff dredged up as I've normally seen with stored codes. I guess I'll play it by ear. :/ I have experienced TC shudder before, in a '92 Century of past I had, and that was unbearable, so I'm beginning to find it hard to believe it could be the same condition I (May have) experienced this time. I've been keeping a very close eye on the tranny juice too, it's only about 8000 miles old, and still looks and smells like Mercon V... And now I'm rambling, sorry guys!

Thaywood - that Bird gets sharper every day, those blue LEDs really make it look mean. : D Just out of curiosity, do you ever run into any troubles running those with the uniformed sort around? I had something similar in a Ranger once, and I barely got it out of the driveway before Johnny Law came along and hung paper on me. Anyways though, looks great man!

Well, I was politely informed last night by a town cop that I can't have my blue LED lights in my grille or in my license plate lights. :( He said I could have any color except blue or red. It's weird because I never had an issue when I had the blue LEDs in my '95 Mark VIII grille. But anyhoo...I guess I'll put some white LEDs in there and limit my blue LEDs to the interior, underhood, and trunk.

Well, I was politely informed last night by a town cop that I can't have my blue LED lights in my grille or in my license plate lights. :( He said I could have any color except blue or red.

What he told you is correct...(vehicles cannot have blue or red lights on public roads, except for authorized emergency vehicles : sec 56-5-170B ).

He just didn't tell you that it's okay to have them for use off road and on private property.

yep. blue is an emergency color.
and they really don't like red anywhere on the car except the rear. (mistaken for brake lights i assume.)

but my brothers bike has green LED lighting and he hasn't been harassed. not for the lights anyway. lol.

I had blue bulbs in the license plate lights on my 79 Zephyr. I was the only one with guts enough to pass a slow moving highway patrol officer. He of course stopped me and it took him awhile to find something. The car was blue, the plate was white and blue, and the blue bulbs were barely blue.

Even at night, it only took the smallest of illumination and this car glowed blue.

image_209.jpg

It was a fix it ticket, I fixed it while he went over the rest of the car (I picked off the blue coating) but still got the ticket so next exit I found the highway patrol office and had them inspect it.

Changed back to Autolite 764s and spent some time trying to make the wires look half decent and then cleaned up the bay a bit.

IMAG0273.jpgIMAG0274.jpgIMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Years ago all they used was red lights. They switched to blue because they found out drunk drivers will aim at red lights.

Finally got around to removing the drivetrain and all of the parts worth saving from my son's wrecked 93. I've had it back from Seattle a little over a year now, and just finding the time to do it. Headed for the crusher this week.

derek's car in the end 001a.jpg

derek's car in the end 002a.jpg

derek's car in the end 003a.jpg

derek's car in the end 003.jpg

Did a transmission flush on my Dads Mark VIII (110K). Looks like someone had already been there since the plug you find in the pan wasn't there anymore.

Replaced the water pump on my Mark VIII cause it was leaking from the gasket. Could have just replaced the gasket since the water pump was fine but I just replaced the whole unit for insurance.

Chargerxr
It's always sad to here about another mark going to the crusher.
It also looks like you left a few good parts on her even more sad.

Members online

Back