What's been your top speed ?

NICE

Where ya been frogman? haven't heard from ya in a while!

183 (indicated) on the front straight of Brainerd Intl Speedway. But that was on my motorcycle so I suppose it doesn't count for this topic...

In the LS I've just barely cracked 100 MPH passing 4 cars at once on a 2 lane rural highway. The first car was going 50 in a 55 where 65 is the norm. No one in the queue would pull out to pass so I took charge!

120 road opened up. could have gone for more, but i was being conservative as there was traffic a while down the road

I was talking to some cop friends of mine last month about my 98, and one thing turned into another. The said it couldn't do 140. I said it could, and showed them a pic I took. They said I couldn't beat their Crown Vics and Chargers. So, we set to see if I could...

There is a nice stretch of highway here that's practically dead at night. One of them waited at the start line and the other one at the end, another with his Radar going. No traffic, taken on Nov 11th, 2007. I wish we'd have done this in the daytime, so I could have video...

The question i have if that speed really was accurate, what speed rating tire do you have on your LS? I'd think regardless of the tire 158 mph is pushing most non-exotic tires to their limit and slightly risky. A blowout at 158 mph is probably gonna have a 99.9999% chance of having a really really bad outcome.

143 @ 2:40 am. Thought i flew passed the law but it was a regular Crown Vic. I hit a mild dip in the road and got a lil spooked=]

Sm0k3LS

I did 152mph in my '00 V8. Yes it did not have a limiter because it was built in 99 and I was running stock size tires. I will give you that speedometers may not be 100% accurate, but they should be +/- 3mph I would think. I could do this only on nights when the temp was about 60 degrees. If it was warmer than that, I lost steam at about 147 - 148. When it did hit 152, it was 5K RPM's ish and it seemed to cut out, not like a speed limiter, it would just lose power for about 1 second and slow to 148, then you could feel it kick in again and creep back to 152. It felt stable, but I had to disable the Advancetrac because it would flash constantly at anything over 140 and therefore cut power.

183 (indicated) on the front straight of Brainerd Intl Speedway. But that was on my motorcycle so I suppose it doesn't count for this topic...

You know, BIR does have an open track day... I was thinking about hittin that up this summer. I'm only an hour and a half away from there.

Top Speed

Having read this entire thread, it's not clear whether we're talking about in an LS or anything, and is this on the street or anywhere. So here goes: On the street, in a Cobra, 170+. In my '02 LS, I hold two National Land Speed records. In one class the record is just over 140. The other is 138 and a half. But please note that these records were set in ONE mile, and from a standing start. Stock, an '02 LS will go just over 125 in that distance.
KenS from Ben's Place

Update:

Was waiting for a night like last night. No wind, very cold (about 20F). Completely stock '00 LS. 149 and she had more to go (maybe another inch of pedal). I'm sure that she would do 150+ with no problem, I just don't like the idea of burying my foot on the gas. It's much gentler on the drive train to gradually speed up like I did (over the course of about 3-4 miles), than to just bury the gas and hold it down. This car LIKES to be driven fast:) :) :)and she's soooo stable.

In the LS, cannot remember exactly but it was close to the limiter. Gone just over 200 in a sup'd-up porsche a friend of mine had(talk about putting some bucks into a car). In an NSX that was done up I got it to 140 somethin before deciding to let off even though I had another 2 gears to go through. In my first SS/SC with everything it had done and no limiter it was around 153 or 2 I believe before deciding to slow and in my current SS/SC I got it to 130 racing a G35 buddy of mine.

All took place at night w/ no one around on an interstate or highway besides in the NSX which was during the day. Been over 120 alot of times, most of it on tracks and such during race lessons.

The question i have if that speed really was accurate, what speed rating tire do you have on your LS? I'd think regardless of the tire 158 mph is pushing most non-exotic tires to their limit and slightly risky. A blowout at 158 mph is probably gonna have a 99.9999% chance of having a really really bad outcome.

I had 4 somewhat new Z rated 200mph tires there 180 each well worth it!
bs_potenza_re70_ci2_l.jpg

what were the outcomes of the aforementioned races? the jag xk8, the 300c, etc...

i got my 00' ls8 up to 142 on i-10 on the way to an astros game.

i got to downtown and my tires were smoking. haven't wanted to take it that high since.
(this was on my stock 16's w/ michelins, w/ 20's and kuhmo's ~120)

Yeah, driving at high speeds (should) requires z rated tires. My treads are about 180 per, but it's worth the peace of mind not worring about a blowout. Good idea to check pressures before going real fast. I don't drag race or anything, but just testing myself and my car solo is enough for my enjoyment.

Any of you looking for new tires, let me very strongly recommend Michelin Pilot P-2s. Somewhat pricey at $300 + each, but the best there is in street tires.
KenS from Ben's Place

My Yokohama AVS ES100's are W rated (168mph)... and only run $164ea.... Handle really damn good too; a touch noisy, but the LS does a good job killing that annoyance. 158 is most likely within range of a good ZR tire; unless the design of the tire is really newer they may not hold the W Y or (Y) speed ratings as they are new ratings. Either way, you have to look for the service description to get the correct speed rating; the size description only lists up to ZR, your specific speed rating will be with the service description.

in my LS... about 120; I had my winter shoes and and wasn't sure what they were rated to (130BTW)

In any car... When I was stationed in Germany, I had a nice little 80's Porsche... got it up to 172mph in 5th gear, tached out at 6200RPM... GPS Speed. (on the highway... or Autobahn... whatever you choose to call it)

Last night i hit 145 on my way to Black Star Cayon "The home to a village of Native Americans believed to be slaughtered in 1832" up in Irvine CA...

130 and i actually saw the gas gauge moving down... btw... it felt like i was in a ls430. super smooth... tires were just rotated. makes all the diff. in the world.

I've done 120MPH in my 2001 Continental. It's all stock & since the Speedo ends at 120, I couldn't tell if it were going any faster. Plus I was running out of road. I found kinda funny that the Traction Control deactivated when approaching 70MPH. I posted a video of the run on youtube a while back. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRHpESJVYA

If you check my youtube page, I also have videos of other Fords.

125, but the amazing thing is that I ran 115-125 for 2 hours and covered 235 miles in that time. It was a blast, but I was so scared I would go to jail... Very stable and predictable at 120.

In the LS 135 running the 10 just across the California Border with Arizona...behind an S550...retired couple with Wisconsin Plates. He had a big grin...not so sure about her. :D

'90 Mustang GT in College racing a Supercoupe barried at 140 and coming back around to zero...AC on. I pulled away and he blew his engine. :D

Members online

Back