who mpg's high as mine (not really asking)

Yea I'm usin the onboard computer, seeing how the pic iiisss of the oonnbbooaarrdd ccoommppuutteerrrrrr...lol. It stayed at that reading for a while until I hit just under 3/4 full

36 mpg Jag S-type, high MPG tips

Hi,
I'm a new LVC member and I don't have an LS but I do own its fraternal twin; the Jaguar S-Type. I've lurked on this site for a while and like the modification, repair and styling information that very knowledgable members share.
I'm a fuel economy buff and have shared some of my efforts on Jaguar forums that I'm a member of. I have a best single tankfill( hand calculated ) of 36.4 mpg. I have a lifetime average of over 27 mpg for the 80K miles I have driven my car and am currently getting over 28 mpg consisently. As far as I know I'm the uncrowned king of fuel economy for gasoline S-Types.
So how do I do it? Here is a previous post I made on a Jag forum :

The simplest and best ways to improve fuel economy is through practicing efficient driving techniques: moderate acceleration, drive at the posted speed limits, maintain momentum by using as little throttle and brake to maintain your target speed, coast up to stops anticipating traffic to avoid unneeded stops and idling, avoid or combine short trips, not using cruise control when going uphill, etc. Use your instant mpg readout to teach yourself to maintain your acceleration and travel speed at the highest mpg readings. To learn more about fuel efficient driving check out websites such as www.ecomodders.com, www.gassavers.org, www.cleanmpg.com. These hypermiling websites have a lot of great information on how to maximize your vehicle's fuel economy. "Modify the nut behind the wheel" as they say.

As the OP was looking for vehicle modifications that improve fuel economy, I would recommend upping the tire pressure to the sidewall maximum to reduce rolling resistance. I have been running my tires at 42 psi for the past 25K miles and while the ride is harsher, handling and tire wear are fine. I have over 80K miles on my original tires. Check your wheels for brake drag and fix it if it’s excessive. Insure that your wheels are balanced and aligned.

Keeping your car well maintained is critical but you won't find any significant improvements from using touted sparkplugs or air filters. Don't waste your money on snake oil products like HHO generators, magnets, chips, intake turbulators etc.

Modifications that have a proven positive impact are aerodynamic modifications and reducing weight. Aero mods: lowering the vehicle, grille blocking, passenger mirror removal, full belly pans. These changes work best at higher speeds but do make a noticeable difference. Weight reduction is less noticeable but still has a positive effect.

I am somewhat of a fuel efficiency buff and keep fuel logs for all my vehicles. I have achieved a best single tank average of over 36 MPG and have a lifetime average of over 27 MPG in my 2000 S Type 3L SE. Currently my fuel economy average is over 28 mpg. The mods I have done are 42 PSI tires, grille blocking over the upper grille opening and about 1/2 of the lower grille openings, right side mirror removal, front wheel deflectors and keeping unneeded stuff out of the trunk. I'll probably add a streamlining panel under the engine to further smooth air flow under the car. I made all my aero mods and they are easily removable if I need more radiator cooling airflow or need to use my fog lights.

Some people will disagree with my efforts which is fine, I have a thick skin. The S Type is a great car; beautiful, fast, luxurious and efficient. I hope to enhance its efficiency without degrading its other qualities. This is what works for me. If you drive smart, keep your tire pressures up, and keep your car well-maintained, sleek and light you will be rewarded with good fuel economy. I hope you find my suggestions to be helpful. Please let me know if you want more information on getting the most fuel economy out of your Jag.
Best wishes, Low&Slow

001.jpg

Attachments

• 2009 Driving Log 2000 Jaguar S Type.doc
    81 KB · Views: 170
Not to sound like a d*ck - and most of your methods are certainly tried and true hypermiling techniques - but anyone who would stick ugly black plastic over their grill (and a half) and remove the passenger mirror from a Jag, doesn't deserve to be driving a Jag. Buy a Jetta TDI and get another 20mpg without having to bastardize your car. It's probably faster than a 6cyl Jag too.

But you left the leaper on the hood! Think of all that extra drag! ;)

That jaguar deserves to be shot. It looks like it has rabies or some other wild animal disease lol (I never liked s type jags) ::takes shotgun and aims::

petesSweets86- SARS? lol maybe.

low&slow- ummm... the line between the application of science in a practical manner vs an obsessively scientific manner is well established by your post.

your data is very impressive, and i appreciate the scope of it, however, it is not conclusive (many studies are not).

you may want to pitch this in another forum. here, as you can see, this will not float.

lol

petesSweets86- SARS? lol maybe.

low&slow- ummm... the line between the application of science in a practical manner vs an obsessively scientific manner is well established by your post.

your data is very impressive, and i appreciate the scope of it, however, it is not conclusive (many studies are not).

you may want to pitch this in another forum. here, as you can see, this will not float.

lol

but down here.....they ALL FLOAT!!!

1259661481671.gif

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking - but I didn't buy the LS for 30+ mpg. . . I still try to be light on the throttle - anticipate traffic - etc, but I am happy as long as I average around 20-23 mpg... I would have bought a Focus if fuel economy was first on my list. I am not going to butcher my car trying to make it into something it was never designed to be. . .

indeed. Noone's supposed to buy a V8 and say "Oh geez, look at this great MPG I'm getting!", no.....never. You buy a V8 'cause you either gotta haul a ton of sh*t with a truck, suv, or you a a adrenaline junkie (like me :-D) who just wants to jizz his pants without the worry of getting the car preggo :p

Hi,
My point in posting wasn't meant to focus on aerodynamic modifications that change the looks of the car, but rather to point out the inherent efficiency of the LS/S-type platform. Without aero mods I could average 27-28 mpg very easily and I wanted to encourage those interested in getting better fuel economy to look at the no-cost details that allow it ( higher tire pressures, efficient driving, good maintenance ,etc.). Its good to hear from many LS owners that are getting better fuel economy than the EPA rating.

During the last round of $4/gallon gasoline, I saw many people sell larger cars and trucks at huge losses to buy smaller vehicles in an attempt to save money. For most of them , they would have been much better served by keeping their larger vehicles and investing their efforts in making it perform more efficiently.

I understand that my simple aero mods are not appreciated by some. In my own defense they are easily reversable and I can return it to its stock appearance in less than a minute ( other than refitting the mirror). The aero mods are essentially experiments that I have found to be working and now the challenge is how to fabricate them in a form that doesn't diminish the car's appearance. I'll work on that and if there is some interest I'll post some pictures to illustrate how these aero mods can be better concealed or integrated.

OBTW, the "SARS jag's" last 2 tankfills have been over 30mpg.
best wishes,
Low&Slow

Hi,
My point in posting wasn't meant to focus on aerodynamic modifications that change the looks of the car, but rather to point out the inherent efficiency of the LS/S-type platform. Without aero mods I could average 27-28 mpg very easily and I wanted to encourage those interested in getting better fuel economy to look at the no-cost details that allow it ( higher tire pressures, efficient driving, good maintenance ,etc.). Its good to hear from many LS owners that are getting better fuel economy than the EPA rating.

During the last round of $4/gallon gasoline, I saw many people sell larger cars and trucks at huge losses to buy smaller vehicles in an attempt to save money. For most of them , they would have been much better served by keeping their larger vehicles and investing their efforts in making it perform more efficiently.

I understand that my simple aero mods are not appreciated by some. In my own defense they are easily reversable and I can return it to its stock appearance in less than a minute ( other than refitting the mirror). The aero mods are essentially experiments that I have found to be working and now the challenge is how to fabricate them in a form that doesn't diminish the car's appearance. I'll work on that and if there is some interest I'll post some pictures to illustrate how these aero mods can be better concealed or integrated.

OBTW, the "SARS jag's" last 2 takfills have been over 30mpg.
best wishes,
Low&Slow

Best I ever had was cruising about 70 mph on the interstate with light traffic...29.1 mpg over a 3 1/2 hour drive in my stock LS V8. Usually get 26-28 on the highway, and 17-18 in the city. In the winter, 24-25 highway and 15-16 city is more the norm.

I can do that too..lemme just reset mine and let my car roll down the hill a bit :p

Back to reality, I just checked my first tank of mostly around town driving. display said 20.2 and calculated at 19.99. I do baby it as much as possible cuz I'm cheap! (actually, I'd rather spend my money on beer than gas)

'03 V8 Sport

Hi,
My point in posting wasn't meant to focus on aerodynamic modifications that change the looks of the car, but rather to point out the inherent efficiency of the LS/S-type platform.

I like reading wacky car sht like this. It's my science degree kicking in. Good post. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I'll drive just to see how high I can get MPGs up. Other times I'm lucky if I hit double digits at all.

Not to sound like a d*ck - and most of your methods are certainly tried and true hypermiling techniques - but anyone who would stick ugly black plastic over their grill (and a half) and remove the passenger mirror from a Jag, doesn't deserve to be driving a Jag. Buy a Jetta TDI and get another 20mpg without having to bastardize your car. It's probably faster than a 6cyl Jag too.

Cool. It took exactly the next post to rip this guy a new one. Love the hate. Love the love. All=Good.

Cool. It took exactly the next post to rip this guy a new one. Love the hate. Love the love. All=Good.

Yup, there is no acceptable excuse for f*cking up a nice car! He deserved to have a new one ripped. If you want to remove mirrors and cover your grill with ugly black plastic to get better mileage, start with a pos car in the first place. Or don't come bragging about how ugly you made it on a forum of car enthusiasts!

Members online

No members online now.
Back