CUTTING OFF Noise Suppressors

:lol: @ vatozone.

Craigh and I were talking at the LS meet on Saturday, and I was telling him about the cone filter, and how I didn't notice a performance difference. I thought maybe 5-10 hp just may not be enough to feel the difference, but I'm reading some good stuff here.

I didn't really notice if it went one way or the other, performancewise, but I'm glad that I didn't spend the 90 bucks on the KKM one.

:lol: @ vatozone.

Craigh and I were talking at the LS meet on Saturday, and I was telling him about the cone filter, and how I didn't notice a performance difference. I thought maybe 5-10 hp just may not be enough to feel the difference, but I'm reading some good stuff here.

I didn't really notice if it went one way or the other, performancewise, but I'm glad that I didn't spend the 90 bucks on the KKM one.

Im glad I didnt spend it either, but I just cant see how every single company is spreading lies. As well as every single racer that swears by it.

I guess Im just a internet lemming.;)

I noticed a increase in response. Never did a dyno so I wont go there but many companies have and so have enthusiasts. Thats all lies I tell you, lies!

I love the way my homemade CAI sounds.
This is from 2 years ago when I first did my CAI and cut off the noise suppressors.
The Mina mufflers I have are very quiet and don't add much here.
This is music to my ears and my car is super responsive.
It's really about 2/3 as loud as would seem in the video, in fact it only sings when you get on it.

YouTube - Mina Exhaust on my 04 Lincoln LS

You can make your pedantic arguments but it won't change
my mind about this very enjoyable mod.

I love the way my homemade CAI sounds.
This is from 2 years ago when I first did my CAI and cut off the noise suppressors.
The Mina mufflers I have are very quiet and don't add much here.
This is music to my ears and my car is super responsive.
It's really about 2/3 as loud as would seem in the video, in fact it only sings when you get on it.

YouTube - Mina Exhaust on my 04 Lincoln LS

You can make your pedantic arguments but it won't change
my mind about this very enjoyable mod.

seems fine to me....... must be a long term thing, haha

man, you should put the intake back to stock and paint it pink instead.
I'd much rather have fast pink car than a roaring loud slow black car.

then again my name isn't petey either (smack talk smile)

Haha lmao!! :D

So....Would it be safe to assume the "tornado" that fits in the intake is all hype too. :D

What a stupid device.

Tornado2.jpg

I think to sum it all up, for OUR cars at least, especially the GEN II's a CAI is not needed.

Gen 2 tube is seriously less than a foot long, you really can't make that anymore efficient. Gen1, a CAI may increase power due to the long tube and the air slowing down traveling the distance, but its not worth the potential damage or money. Just put a cone filter on in place of your stock box and call it good.

What most people don't realize is that you are not actually putting a CAI onto your cars. A true CAI will have the filter placed to get the coldest air possible, and from the pictures that I have seen of everybodies cars with CAI's on them you are wrong. A true CAI will have the filter placed low and near the ground and unobstructed so as to get the coldest air possible. What everyone puts on their cars and says is a cold air intake is wrong, it is actually a warm air intake because it is in the engine bay and it is sucking in warm air given off by the engine.
Your stock air box is closer to a cold air intake because it actually doesn't suck in the warm air from the engine bay, but from outside the engine bay. This is a common misconception, and I am surprised that no one has actually brought this up. Even with a heat shield you are still sucking in warm air if you get rid of the stock box.
I know people will give me sh@t about this but I really don't care. The only real way to get that roar you are looking for is to modify the exhaust system in my opinion. Put a high flo cat on your car, and change out the factory exhaust and you will see a real power increase, and your engine will give you the roar you are looking for.
But hey, if you really want your nice luxury lincoln to fit in with the tuner crowd then a cold air intake is right up the alley you are looking for.

What most people don't realize is that you are not actually putting a CAI onto your cars. A true CAI will have the filter placed to get the coldest air possible, and from the pictures that I have seen of everybodies cars with CAI's on them you are wrong. A true CAI will have the filter placed low and near the ground and unobstructed so as to get the coldest air possible. What everyone puts on their cars and says is a cold air intake is wrong, it is actually a warm air intake because it is in the engine bay and it is sucking in warm air given off by the engine.
Your stock air box is closer to a cold air intake because it actually doesn't suck in the warm air from the engine bay, but from outside the engine bay. This is a common misconception, and I am surprised that no one has actually brought this up. Even with a heat shield you are still sucking in warm air if you get rid of the stock box.
I know people will give me sh@t about this but I really don't care. The only real way to get that roar you are looking for is to modify the exhaust system in my opinion. Put a high flo cat on your car, and change out the factory exhaust and you will see a real power increase, and your engine will give you the roar you are looking for.
But hey, if you really want your nice luxury lincoln to fit in with the tuner crowd then a cold air intake is right up the alley you are looking for.

HUSH NOW....JUST HUSH....bad newbie, bad!

well said and I absolutely agree.

You would not believe the shytstorm" that would have occured had "I" called their CIA a "hot air intake".

But hey, if you really want your nice luxury lincoln to fit in with the t00ner crowd then a cold air intake is right up the alley you are looking for.

there I fixed it for you, just a small typo is all it was.

well i know when i make my cai for my gen 1 , i will make sure the air is coming from the fender/bumper/wheel well area to suck in the most cold air as possible, it will be a pretty simple project considering you just have to be aware of the heat from the engine bay

And also aware of possible water pick up. Make sure its in a safe place not to get water in it.

Regarding the Helmholtz chambers, I don't recall seeing one attached to the intake tract on any race engine. And there seems to be ample evidence that fabricated intake ducting works on high horsepower configurations. On the other hand, I believe the main contribution of my KKR duct is the sound it makes. But I DO hold the records at Maxton.
KS

Ken, you aren't inferring that the 3.9L LS engine in stock form is a race engine with high horsepower, right?

Regarding the Helmholtz chambers, I don't recall seeing one attached to the intake tract on any race engine.
KS

Most race engines have a optimized "tuned" intake that more than likely has the standing pressure waves taken into account.

That is "REAL" race engines, not Daily Driver cars that "pretend" to be race cars.

I know right... a noob that hasn't been corrupted by internet hype?

Holy "nubicorn"..

the messiah has arrived!
BLOW your trumpet Gabriel, my job is done here!

lol yup. And thanks to this useful information I'm gonna put back on my old stck system except for the KKM filter. I'm thinking about painting it first...either I can crome the plastic stock pieces or I can color match the car....hmmm

Regarding the Helmholtz chambers, I don't recall seeing one attached to the intake tract on any race engine. And there seems to be ample evidence that fabricated intake ducting works on high horsepower configurations.

I agree.

It would be premature to say that all aftermarket intake tubes and filters are ineffective. I won't believe that all factory intakes are the end all of design and cannot be improved upon. I have witnessed modest power increases AT dyno sessions that would net an engine anywhere from 3-28 h.p. at the wheels. (The 28 h.p. being a intake tube installed on a friends '04 cobra) The intake tube designs are not a black and white, it works or doesn't answer. Dyno sessions that I have seen and charts I have looked over are alot like after market headers. There are those that have added no power at all, but no measurable torque loss either and others that opened up the intake significantly in airflow and make decent power.

A stock airbox may have the advatage in slow driveability until a certain RPM, but would indeed be a restriction in the upper RPM band. The plastic in my opinion would be better for heat rejection. Of course this doesn't relate to every engine and the more complex and restrictive the intake tube tube the better the oppurtunity to make more power with a smoother design.

I agree that the open element filters under the hood are not ideal because of the ingestion of heated air, but when designed properly and have an outside air source they are a great addition to any engine, especially if someone is just after the sound.

Thousands of hard core racers, tuners and dyno operators can't all be wrong.

I agree.

It would be premature to say that all aftermarket intake tubes and filters are ineffective. I won't believe that all factory intakes are the end all of design and cannot be improved upon. I have witnessed modest power increases AT dyno sessions that would net an engine anywhere from 3-28 h.p. at the wheels. (The 28 h.p. being a intake tube installed on a friends '04 cobra) The intake tube designs are not a black and white, it works or doesn't answer. Dyno sessions that I have seen and charts I have looked over are alot like after market headers. There are those that have added no power at all, but no measurable torque loss either and others that opened up the intake significantly in airflow and make decent power.

A stock airbox may have the advatage in slow driveability until a certain RPM, but would indeed be a restriction in the upper RPM band. The plastic in my opinion would be better for heat rejection. Of course this doesn't relate to every engine and the more complex and restrictive the intake tube tube the better the oppurtunity to make more power with a smoother design.

I agree that the open element filters under the hood are not ideal because of the ingestion of heated air, but when designed properly and have an outside air source they are a great addition to any engine, especially if someone is just after the sound.

Thousands of hard core racers, tuners and dyno operators can't all be wrong.

+1

I think to sum it all up, for OUR cars at least, especially the GEN II's a CAI is not needed.

A custom tune isn't needed either.... :p

A short throw or cold air intake (if you made room for the cold air part) would definitely add to the responsiveness of the throttle, as well as a little bit of hp. I have had them on the two past cars I've owned, and I always noticed a difference (that you eventually get used to btw :p).

Members online

No members online now.
Back