CUTTING OFF Noise Suppressors

Very adult response...

You added no information to this thread other than to "pick apart" my definition of "RACE CAR"...because it just happened to "omit your beloved LS".

Then you beat your chest about some meaningless irrelelvant national record...blahblah blahwhopptiefukkindoooo.

and.. "I'm the snarky one"?

If that's the case, then tell MonsterMark to change my usename to XLRSNARKVIII right dafuk NOW..I'll wear that badge proudly sir.

you sound like bill clinton with his "that depends on what your definition of IS is"
..bullSNarkingcrap...

HAHA

I went from 14/19 mpg average to 19/24 damn.....that's quite the difference

btw anybody wanna buy an intake tube? haha

Really? Cause for me its the other way around.

I guarantee that now since it dont sound so loud your driving has changed and your not tearing around like you probably would with the aftermarket pipe.

Those suppressors re-rout air flow. How can they, in XLRVIII's theory of direct flow not make even the slightest difference?

Hey ive done alot of reading on the subject and understand Mr jwerner2-Now one thing has yet to be mentioned, these chambers are tuned not only to the engine itself but to a specific resonance frequency or rpm, compesating for a natural drop off in torque somewhere along the rpm band-So in removing these chambers any loss is going to be very specific the fun part would be to determine where and how useful it really is. Personally I believe this being a luxury car that Ford was attempting to make it as quiete as possible, another apparent function of these chambers-worst case scenerio one can use the formulas found online to what seems to be easily constructed & designed chambers tune to what ever rpm range desired

Those suppressors re-rout air flow. How can they, in XLRVIII's theory of direct flow not make even the slightest difference?

While I'd love to take credit for the heimhotlz resonance theory, its been around alot longer than any of us.

so I took out the aluminum intake tube and put back the stock system and WOW the difference...power is still the same except less noise (not to worry since I'm getting my exhaust changed) and I went from 14/19 mpg average to 19/24 damn.....that's quite the difference

btw anybody wanna buy an intake tube? haha

Glad it worked out for you..
Good job on "checking it out for yourself"!

I'm sure some placebo junkie will take that intake tube off your hands in no time flat.

Glad it worked out for you..
Good job on "checking it out for yourself"!

I'm sure some placebo junkie will take that intake tube off your hands in no time flat.

But then Petes would be one mod less installed on his car!:D

But then Petes would be one mod less installed on his car!:D

Well he could put it in his trunk and still have it listed as a mod in his sig file.

I had 4 different chips in my car, 3 of them rode in the glove box.
I swear those three chips in the glove box made no difference in my cars performance.

haha no wener I drove with the same lead foot and was racing by people on the highway such as flooring past construction crews on the side of the road (funny as hell to see them jump) and still managed the rating. In fact by doing the theory of only going the speed limit or under on the freeway/highway I racked up 34mpg in about 20-50miles :-D

And yes it sucks one less mod but I'm getting my exhaust system tricked up a bit (exhaust tips/ cutting out resonators) which should compensate. Great thing is it's now colder under the hood too since the intake tube was always reading 100-156 degrees because it was absorbing too much engine heat. An idea of having some front hood scoops near the top grille then cutting out the back where the windsheild wipers (like in the other thread) might come in handy. The bolds/parts in the engine bay were SO hot in the engine bay just from driving 10miles from running errands that it was almost unbearable to take off the intake tube. I'm happy with my decision though since that one and ONLY piece of chrome in the engine bay looks off to my buddies

haha no wener I drove with the same lead foot and was racing by people on the highway such as flooring past construction crews on the side of the road (funny as hell to see them jump) and still managed the rating. In fact by doing the theory of only going the speed limit or under on the freeway/highway I racked up 34mpg in about 20-50miles :-D

And yes it sucks one less mod but I'm getting my exhaust system tricked up a bit (exhaust tips/ cutting out resonators) which should compensate. Great thing is it's now colder under the hood too since the intake tube was always reading 100-156 degrees because it was absorbing too much engine heat. An idea of having some front hood scoops near the top grille then cutting out the back where the windsheild wipers (like in the other thread) might come in handy. The bolds/parts in the engine bay were SO hot in the engine bay just from driving 10miles from running errands that it was almost unbearable to take off the intake tube. I'm happy with my decision though since that one and ONLY piece of chrome in the engine bay looks off to my buddies

hows the exhaust coming along? is it tricked up yet?

^that was the stupidest most meaningless bunch of drivel i've ever read

noise suppresors..yes

now go research heimholtz resonators, and hopefully you have enough brain power to understand their purpose...if not, no sweat off my back

Let him do it. He is one of those that thinks he knows what he is doing. I've learned that this car has a lot of things tuned specifically for what it has and is made best for it with few exceptions. Let these idiot wannabe know it alls do stupid stuff to there cars and think they are making it better and let them pay for it in the end

^that was the stupidest most meaningless bunch of drivel i've ever read

noise suppresors..yes

now go research heimholtz resonators, and hopefully you have enough brain power to understand their purpose...if not, no sweat off my back

So then what is the effect of using the K&N Filtercharger?

Not trying to start something, just curious.

not going to do this yet, but i just checked up alittle about Helmholtz was a German physicist ( early 1800's ) who did research in acoustics. Basically , all modern loudspeakers are based on his principles.

As far as I know, the reason for the intake resonator in the LS is to LESSEN the engine noise by cancelling out certain sound waves , to comply with noise requirements.
If you want to test the theory , blow over an open bottle. Depending on the volume inside and the velocity over the top, the sound will change.

I cut them off my intake, and actually saw a small increase in MPG. But I have been taking these off LS1s long before I bought my LS. I dont know all that much about cars, but mine is running just fine without the resonators on there. Of course, its a little louder.

Our intakes are long enough and have enough 90s in them to not need to worry about any adverse affects on the MAF. I went out and did WOT pulls and closed the throttle 100% without any stumbling, and it has never died.

So then what is the effect of using the K&N Filtercharger?

Probably much of the same, placebo effect at best.
Since a person spends money on a mod, then they are predisposed to NOTICE a gain..it's been that way for along time.

With that said.. those that haddn't taken the time to actually research what they actually DO...

check this out.

When you have rapidly moving air down the intake, and the intake valve closes, what happens? you get a reversion wave of air pressure, called a "standing pressure wave" that goes "backwards" thru the intake.
Without these Heimholtz Resonators that "standing pressure wave" COULD and OFTEN does go all the way back up to the MAF sensor.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that a "pressure wave" going backwards thru the MAF can screw up the maf's output to the PCM.

WITH the Hiemholtz resonators in place, those standing pressure waves have a place to GO, rather than running back up the intake tube and corrupting the MAF signal.

When the standing pressure wave enters one of these chambers they bounce off the end of the tube, and are "reflected" back down the intake in the PROPER DIRECTION... AND.. the position of these tubes, precisely TIME that pressure wave to return back to the intake valve AS it's "reopening".

So there IS a performance gain to be had with these tubes...they are there for a reason.. and they WORK.

I really couldn't care less if some folks make this common mistake..
BUT if ONE person doesnt do it.... then I have dont my part and provided a positive service to the community.

I cant save the world, nor will I TRY.. but I will save "someone".. is that someone "YOU".

IF not, enjoy the additional noise, and feel free to interpret that noise to be "additional performance", clearly it isn't.... but none the less.

I'm just looking for ONE person to grab the life ring, the rest can DROWN IN NOISE I dont care...

lolz

it's all good, no worries.

I know it's hard to find "good accurate" information on the internet.

here's a tip that might work for you, it's served me well in the past.

when you see a thread.. and you have 10-15 people saying ONE thing.
Then you have this other guy saying something strikingly different than "the crowd".

9 times out of 10.. the "crowd is wrong, and are PARROTING what they've read someplace, or heard someone say, and likely have misquoted what was originally said".

This happened along time ago, with one of the premier tuners in the country, on the old markviii.org board.

Every KNOW IT ALL under the sun wanted to "debate" his facts and ask for "dyno sheets" to prove his point of view..

in NO TIME FLAT he wrote off that community and dissapeared off the internet.

If you want to test the theory , blow over an open bottle. Depending on the volume inside and the velocity over the top, the sound will change.

That is an easy way to demonstrate the effect, and while it seems very SIMPLE it doesnt mean it's harmless...

Those resonance waves you hear when you blow over the top of the bottle is the resonance caused by the standing pressure waves when the pressure bounces off the bottom of the bottle.

it's a good demonstration, but you still have to UNDERSTAND the effects of this on a MAF sensor.

This argument sounds to me a lot like how some people talk about the volume and port sizes and locations of subwoofer boxes, pontificating and making a big huge deal out of (to me) tiny differences.
It's really not a big huge deal what one does.
My 03 runs a lot crisper and sounds very sweet with a home made CAI and the engine cover removed from over the intake. I also have an SCT tune.

I can't see a CAI hurting or damaging the car and if you like it to not sound quiet like an electric car on acceleration go with it, if you don't then keep the air filter stock.

If nothing else it improves the sound performance of the engine noise who's pleasure can't be measured on a dyno.

This argument sounds to me a lot like how some people talk about the volume and port sizes and locations of subwoofer boxes, pontificating and making a big huge deal out of (to me) tiny differences.
It's really not a big huge deal what one does.
My 03 runs a lot crisper and sounds very sweet with a home made CAI and the engine cover removed from over the intake. I also have an SCT tune.

I can't see a CAI hurting or damaging the car and if you like it to not sound quiet like an electric car on acceleration go with it, if you don't then keep the air filter stock.

If nothing else it improves the sound performance of the engine noise who's pleasure can't be measured on a dyno.

Unfortunately, you are part of the "crowd". Therefore, you are wrong.

Remember that nine out of ten times, the one who differs is correct. This is one of those nine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back