F@cked

i think you are dwelling on this way way too much. every car looks that way at some point in its life, you didnt buy a new car, in the last 13 years i went to hell too, so a car driven in water, salt, whatever is gonna rust, if you let someone fix all that for you, you are going to wish you bought a brand new car, cause thats what you will be into it for money wise, anyone you bring that too is gonna rake you over the coals hard, just wire brush it all down and spray it with undercoating. if it isnt broke, dont fix it, know what i mean? clean it up yourself for free, then spend 30 bucks in undercoating and spray it, it will stop it from getting worse, worry about rusty bolts when things need to be repaired, just drive it dude, if its bothering you that much then do yourself a huge favor and get rid of the car, you will sink thousands and thousands of dollars into it and still be mad. if you have any doubts after everyones advice here then just bail out, seriously. i would drive it as is myself until the rims fell off, but thats me, some people see a paint chip and think the end of the world is coming so.....

actually if you were local and u brought the car to me the way i said not only would i be excited to do a makeover of that caliber but when it was finished i would have a head the size of texas for the pride i would feal after it was done.it will be a learning experience for you.to have the car the way i said a shop near you that can blast it wont charge you more than 700.00.you might as well figure on the next shop charging you around 1,000 to strengthen it up.than again tape up the car and rubberize under coat everything after applying some self etch primer.like the previous post said for you area you would want to go that far if you plan on puttin miles on it,if not go with some chassis black and add alittle detail to it and make sure it is catalyzed.again only if you are a true mark enthusiast and plan on keeping the car will you go this far and for what you have in it thus far u might as well see it through

i think you are dwelling on this way way too much. every car looks that way at some point in its life, you didnt buy a new car, in the last 13 years i went to hell too, so a car driven in water, salt, whatever is gonna rust, if you let someone fix all that for you, you are going to wish you bought a brand new car, cause thats what you will be into it for money wise, anyone you bring that too is gonna rake you over the coals hard, just wire brush it all down and spray it with undercoating. if it isnt broke, dont fix it, know what i mean? clean it up yourself for free, then spend 30 bucks in undercoating and spray it, it will stop it from getting worse, worry about rusty bolts when things need to be repaired, just drive it dude, if its bothering you that much then do yourself a huge favor and get rid of the car, you will sink thousands and thousands of dollars into it and still be mad. if you have any doubts after everyones advice here then just bail out, seriously. i would drive it as is myself until the rims fell off, but thats me, some people see a paint chip and think the end of the world is coming so.....

Guys...I fully inderstand the situation. I posted new pics to get opinions on how these look, that's all. I'm not dwelling on it, it's been 6 weeks since I posted and finally got the rear apart enough to snap thses pics. I still have not gotten the car back from my mechanic to start doing what I want to do to it. He calls me when he gets something taken apart and I go have a look. But these looked concerning to me. Figured I could scrape away the surface crap, spray some rust eating :q:q:q:q in there a bunch of times like Eastwoods' does, then treat it and coat it. Was just checking back in to see if this could be a potential deal breaker that's all. If I hadn't taken this sites advise I wouldn't be rebuilding the suspension and front end!!!!

I think some of you need to chill too. LOL.:rolleyes:

The overall goal of this car is to cruise the 320 mile one way trip to a lake in upstate maine in the summer. I eventually plan to put on a tranny and oil cooler so that I can take my dads 19' boat .5 miles to the launch and back again. I might use it to tow my bike and some wave runners. But mostly its going to be a summer cruiser from now on. No winters unless I get the itch to drive it.
I won't get rid of it. I can freaking weld and take things apart, I just never have before nor do I currently have a garage. Hopefully by the end of summer I will have a house WITH a garage. That is priority 194 of the summer!

most of your work will involve removal and installation of your parts.replace all cradle boots and bolts and likewise suspension brackets/bolts.(the bad ones).....blast,sealer/paint/parts/alignment figure on 3 to 3,500 if you do all the r & i work.and seriously u might conside inspecting that tank real good when you drop it.....jamie..wire brush and undercoating?Once rust has latchened itself to steel suface prepping it wont slow anything down unless it is removed from the surface.it does not need moisture to do its work.3 months of everyday driving in the winter in that area doing what u said this is what would happen.....suface rust would continue doing what it started and when it expands the molecules it will crack the integrity of the resin in the undercoat thus pretty much defeating the purpose.its going to look at that undercoat and say....."get out of my way your bothering me!"lol....do it the right way or dont do it at all brah!

hell all the last few pics are of the rear subframe, just find a clean southern one and swap them, not hard, just your neighbors might look at you funny doing this in your driveway

"jamie..wire brush and undercoating?"

its a f-ing mark VIII, its not a rolls royce from the 30's why on earth would anyone spend 3500 restoring some surface rust under one of these cars, if you want to dump cash like that just for piece of mind then buy the 98 collector edition mark VIII on ebay with 12 miles for $44,000. seriously i know the difference between right and wrong i'm not a kid, and i am no dummy when it comes to cars either, but restoring the chassis???????????????? i'd take it apart and sell the parts before i even bought the undercoating myself lmfao! i wont continue to post in this thread because i can see me starting a huge war over this topic. good luck with the car warden with whatever you decide to do to it.

"jamie..wire brush and undercoating?"

its a f-ing mark VIII, its not a rolls royce from the 30's why on earth would anyone spend 3500 restoring some surface rust under one of these cars, if you want to dump cash like that just for piece of mind then buy the 98 collector edition mark VIII on ebay with 12 miles for $44,000. seriously i know the difference between right and wrong i'm not a kid, and i am no dummy when it comes to cars either, but restoring the chassis???????????????? i'd take it apart and sell the parts before i even bought the undercoating myself lmfao! i wont continue to post in this thread because i can see me starting a huge war over this topic. good luck with the car warden with whatever you decide to do to it.

Jamie I appreciate your input greatly. Sorry this appears to be a touchy topic for some.
ME...I am just looking for advise. That's all. Sorry if me continuing to discover new things and point them out to LVC is upsetting. LOL:shifty:
FWIW i'll be keeping the car. Just wish I already had it back.

warden i appreciate you being concerned with your findings, its good to know some people care if their car might be a hazard to them or others on the street by not being safe. i encourage you to keep being cautious, i can just see we have a new member who is the type to tell everyone its his way or no way at all and i dont feel like getting into it with anyone. its already obvious he's gonna have it out for me from a few posts i see already.

hell all the last few pics are of the rear subframe, just find a clean southern one and swap them, not hard, just your neighbors might look at you funny doing this in your driveway

this is what I was thinking
from what I have seen it doesnt look that bad but I come from seeing my brother break the unibody in half on his 69 torino my dad put it back together for him on the garage floor

LOL, how'd ya get pics of my '93!? :D

Exactly. I picked up a used clean one-owner low-mileage rust-free southern one cheap last year and eventually will get around to building it right and swapping it over.

whats your mechanic fixing?

He is slowly rebuilding the front end and suspension. He has been in a car accident, his wife has had a complete nervous breakdown, and apparently half the parts I bought from 5star came in wrong (no ABS on hubs ETC...no big deal).
This is just a freaking jumble of chaos:D 6 freaking weeks, but for the first 3 he didn't even look at the car. Then for the next two he sprayed it down with rust penetrant, then started working on it last week. Now he's just waiting on parts - parts I told him I already had. LOL!:eek: Trust me, it sux to be me, Murphy is always above my head laughing at me - taking a dump!:soapbox:

I have the cobra r hood that was on that car when devilchild owned it and that has no rust on it.......ha ha lol! Its fiberglass! Just messing around:) your car doesn't seem to that bad. I'd rock it till the wheels fall off bro!

I have the cobra r hood that was on that car when devilchild owned it and that has no rust on it.......ha ha lol! Its fiberglass! Just messing around:) your car doesn't seem to that bad. I'd rock it till the wheels fall off bro!

I was wondering who wound up with that. That hoods just not for me. You install it yet? Pics?

I have a very bad pic that I posted on wed under the post " my project....almost done" The hood now wears opal pearl paint and I also have the grill that jim was going to put on your car when he had it! Looks bad a@@!

All I can say is Jamie is I'm giving my Mark the 1930's Rolls treatment and I don't care :D

Doing the work yourself is cheap though.... also like I have said many times POR15 FTW!

Also you might want to start worrying when your Mark looks like this....

Rusty Mark.jpg

All I can say is Jamie is I'm giving my Mark the 1930's Rolls treatment and I don't care :D

Doing the work yourself is cheap though.... also like I have said many times POR15 FTW!

Also you might want to start worrying when your Mark looks like this....

Nah! A little bit of rubbing compound and some wax and that mark would be good to go kid!!!lol! Now that's rust!!

I would fill a lawn weed sprayer with used or cheap bulk oil and spray the underside once a year .

Are you kidding??

About the oil spray ? No ! The weed sprayer ? Well maybe , havn't tried that . Having said that , now that it is illegal in Ontario to buy , sell or use chemical lawn products to control weeds or bugs i may have found a new use for my lawn sprayer . I have my cars oil spayed commercially every fall even if they are stored for the winter . No rust anywhere , ever !

My grandfather used to pour diesel fuel all over his farm equipment to slow rust. It was so long ago I can't remember if it worked well or not.

My grandfather used to pour diesel fuel all over his farm equipment to slow rust. It was so long ago I can't remember if it worked well or not.

Havn't heard of diesel being used but i guess it would work , it's essentially a lite oil . If i used it i think i would keep it's use to farm or outdoor equipment .

Last edited:
my friend peter from mass has a 91 f-250 that he uses for a plow truckon his farm and to this day it looks absolutely mint inside and out. no one believes he beats the piss out of it all winter plowing with it. his secret is a 50/50 ratio of 10/40 oil and bar and chain lube for his saws, he puts it in this weird gun he hooks to an air line and blasts the whole chassis of the truck, the engine bay, and all inside the door jams even removing all the factory rubber grommets and hoseing in the holes, then in the spring, he pressure washes the whole truck down and it looks brand new again. just over 200k miles and you can eat off the truck from any point, it makes a total mess when he gets ready for the winter, but its worth it when you see the condition of this truck!

Members online

No members online now.
Back