My LS' Progress

Thanks guys. I actually didn't mind the two tone lights at first, but after seeing some Gen 1s up close, i decided to go all-red. Clear/Red two tone = cheapo lexus/truck lights, IMO. I considered getting some smoked Lamin-x for the top half though, but the LSE look is too good to pass up on.

No you haven't. Before it was clear lense with amber bulb, now it is amber bulb in red lense. So how does it look when it flashes?

I thought your emphasis was on having an amber bulb.. stupid me :shifty:

It flashes, well, red. I'll get some pix tomorrow.

im with hye those look sweet!! always been a fan of da all red tails!! the other ones look kinda ricyy

Nver mind about the thickness I see the red only comes in one thickness. But how much did you use, what size sheet?

Ah, glad to see my suggestion worked out well! I think it looks awesome!

Just a thought for future guys doing this mod:

I would suggest maybe covering the entire taillight with the red film.

I honestly don't. It's not a different shade. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, if anything, you could remove it, and apply it like he did here.

I still really like the look the way he did it.

I also used the smoked lamin-x film on my tail lights. It's a very thick film in relation to most tint, so I would agree with pektel in doing the whole tail. That way there will not be as much of a contrast from the filmed to non filmed section.

Looks good M4rk!

I ordered two 12"x24" sheets. It was a little more then I needed but the smaller sizes will not be wide enough. It was about $60 IIRC

An 8x16" sheet is plenty. The top halves of the lights are about 4" tall. Height wise it fit perfectly. Length wise, i had about 3" left over. Covering the entire light isn't a bad idea, but i dont see the point to be honest. Like i said, ill report on how the film looks in about a week.

Tails look good!
im with hye those look sweet!! always been a fan of da all red tails!! the other ones look kinda ricyy
Looks good bro
Ah, glad to see my suggestion worked out well! I think it looks awesome!
Looks good M4rk!

Thanks fellas:)

Mark, about the full cover vs. the half cover, I wasn't saying it looks bad by any means. I was just thinking it would eliminate the seam down the middle. That's all.

I know you weren't :p The seam isn't visible, unless you come up close. For now though, you can tell there's *something* over my tails given that the foil appears cloudy. Like i said, the instructions state that's normal. Once it dries out, i bet it will be very hard to spot.

Update on the Lamin-x tails:

DSC_0326_s.jpg

Step 4 - Lighting v2: OEM HIDs
The halogens weren't enough, it was time to upgrade.

Steel L-bracket to replace a sh*tty (broken) plastic mount - thanks pops!
DSC_0327.JPG

At this point I already had my driver side HID headlamp installed, which I got off eBay.

Last week I found a set of both lights for $200 on eBay, which seemed like a steal. Long story short, the passenger side lamp wasn't of much use as the reflector was broken off - 2 of the 3 mounting points were damaged, including the adjustment post. Again, my pops was able to help me out, although some credit goes out to me. :D We cut the old halogen light up and extracted some parts, and DYI-repaired the third post.

The problematic area and how it was fixed.
DSC_0334_s.jpg

And finally..
DSC_0336_s.jpg

It seems to be holding just fine for now :cool: Now, just to repair the 3rd tab above the hi-beam, but that can wait.

I went out at night to aim the lights, which were apparently too low by about 10 inches, lol.

DSC_0338_s.jpg

DSC_0341_s.jpg

That's it for now.

Also, the Hoen bulbs started to peel some paint off the tips. Don't buy them

Nice work. Looks like your ride is coming along well!

Nice camera you have sir.

How do you like the HID? How do you think they compare with the halognes?

Members online

No members online now.
Back