My LS' Progress

M4rk,
I have definitely decided on the red. I found a place locally that is a vendor but they don't have any red in stock... Anyway-
Do you think that if I did the whole tail light in red Lamin-X it would change the color of red that the lower portion is? Does that make any sense? I was looking at my tails and I noticed that there is already a seam along the line where the red and clear meet. Now that I know its there I want to minimalize it as much as possible when applying the Lamin-X.

Will take some tonight after work. Also, I would check out some Lamin-x horror stories. The heat from the standard filament bulbs can cause it to burn over time. That's why I didn't cover the entire light(s). Not sure if it would change color of the bottom portion.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the potential heat issue! I am really just curious if we will still have that seam where the two colors meet no matter what. Any close up and multiple angle shots would really help.
Thanks again man-

A little late.. sorry, lol.

DSC_0343_s.jpg

DSC_0344_s.jpg

DSC_0345_s.jpg

DSC_0347_s.jpg

The trunk half of the headlight is under direct sunlight, hence the milky look. It never completely went away. I don't really mind.. I can't see it when driving.

It's all good man. Thank you very much for taking the time to post up the pics for me. I still am not sure if I am going to do the whole tail or not. $$ makes me want to do the top only, but I think if the factory red is not affected by the Lamin-X i might go ahead and do the whole tail. Maybe I will just order a piece big enough to do either one tail or both tops and see how the factory red looks to me in person first. I am pretty sure that seam where the clear and red meets will be there no matter (covered or not) what so I am not going to sweat it.

Np, glad I could help. As for the seam, It's only clear under direct sunlight. In all other conditions, it's just fine. But then again, my eyes aren't the greatest, especially when it comes to seeing details from a distance. IMO, just do the half.

Fogs Restoration
Using the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit, ~10 min each:

Fogs%20Restoration.jpg

DSC_0359_s.jpg

Step 5 - Interior

The sport CF imitation was fugly, so I replaced it with faux light burl wood trim.

I got this kit.

I'm satisfied with the service they provided and how nice it looks, but I could have done a better job installing it. There was no way to correct it as once you stick even a tiny bit on, it's not going anywhere.

Interior%20Panorama.jpg

Did the pieces cover all of the existing trim, or where they cut a little too big or small? I only ask because I have the OEM wood trim and if I did it I would not want there to be any sign of the other wood beneath, know what I mean? It would contrast too much.

You have to keep in mind that the stick-on stuff is 2D, so it doesn't curve depth-wise, whereas the stock stuff is rather round. Yes, it covers the flat parts, but you can unfortunately see the original stuff around the edges - around 3mm around every piece.

Okay, thats cool I just wanted to know. I think with your silver trim underneath is not a bad contrast. I do think though that if it was the factory wood then the light wood it might be a little less attractive. If any silver shows on yours the way yours is right now it kind of makes it look like the sides were meant to be silver. From what I can see from the picture anyway.
That black and light wood conrast is the bomb!!

Step 6 - Magnaflow Tips

In the end, I decided against getting the mufflers done. It seemed like a waste.

Magnaflow #35177

DSC_0427_s.jpg

DSC_0430_s.jpg

DSC_0433_s.jpg

What do you mean by waste? We really should have an LS meet so I can show you my exhaust install you might like it. I love it sounds so mean and really opened up my car a lot

What do you mean by waste? We really should have an LS meet so I can show you my exhaust install you might like it. I love it sounds so mean and really opened up my car a lot

I couldn't justify it.. the mufflers would've added an additional 250 to the total cost. I'll rather use that to fix some stuff up.

Oh I see, yeah for me was drop 500 for my high flow cats or drop an extra 4-500 for full custom 2.5 piping with mags muff/tips and x-pipe so I did,why not do it all one shot ! Glad I did buddy at GT customs did an amazing job, If I had other major issues which I don't anymore ( if any remm I had some major issues from my wiring harness to that click sound from my rear suspension was a nightmare) but it all turned out to be minor stuff thank the heavens it all came together. Now to focus on exterior stuff glad to see your LS coming along quite nice ! We should definitely have a meet before the summer is over

Looks good. It's all coming together nicely.
The only thing is though, you gotta pull out/down the black plastic piece mounted on the buttom of the bumper cover. It seems like it's been pushed in and it shows the underbody/screws.

Ohh, yeah, I didn't think it looked right. I'll get on it, thanks! :)

Not really progress post per se, but I changed out the stab bar end-links, all-around the car.

Excellent service from RockAuto.

Front P/N #K80261 x2
Rear Right P/N #K80245
Rear Left P/N #K80246

DSC_0440_s.jpg

Always have a backup in place
DSC_0439_s.jpg

Moog (top) vs OEM (bottom)
DSC_0442_s.jpg

Installed!
DSC_0445_s.jpg

To sum it up, the rears links were quite easy to replace without any issues - ~45 min ea. On the other hand, the front end links were not. The nuts were a huge pain to remove due their exposure to dirt, salt, etc, and access was somewhat awkward.

Moog 1 - OEM 0

Looks like a lot of rust there; especially on the shock.

Is it that bad? From what I can tell, it's all surface-only. The car has been winter driven.

Members online

No members online now.
Back