What did you do to your LS today?

I'd send you ours from the parts 06.. but

20150411_095247_zpsfc2hqvhs.jpg

I swapped out my Coolant Outlet Tube with a junkyard one. Had a hairline crack.

However my temp keeps spiking.... I need new coolant. I probably diluted mine too much from overheating.

7eff6680c4525092c1d129631c7b7fa9.jpg
25517b11fc13fbf4f85dc816a6aa23e9.jpg
d4cd71b0b903069ae4350b23a0c2dcb0.jpg
d243b569633f40dd4d5516130d7baf66.jpg
ff9f9170b18fa6fb3df9c2c6b9f47180.jpg

I swapped out my Coolant Outlet Tube with a junkyard one. ...

Bad idea. They all fail with time,temperature, and coolant exposure. Your junkyard tube probably has micro cracks in it that are letting air in. Your thermostat housing and degas bottle have the same problem. You need to replace the plastic parts with new ones, all of them. you also must follow the factory bleed procedure exactly. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/drain-lincoln-ls-cooling-system/

Bad idea. They all fail with time,temperature, and coolant exposure. Your junkyard tube probably has micro cracks in it that are letting air in. Your thermostat housing and degas bottle have the same problem. You need to replace the plastic parts with new ones, all of them. you also must follow the factory bleed procedure exactly. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/drain-lincoln-ls-cooling-system/
Well its too late for all of that. I don't have the finances for all of that new. However when I do I'll replace it again. I'll just bleed and refill for now.

The junkyard one does look to be in better condition than what you had. But, all those parts fail at about the same time. If you're still overheating it's likely other parts are also bad. Pull the cowl cover around the degas bottle and examine it. It will most likely have many cracks. A third place, at least on mine, that was a major problem is the thermostat housing. They are made of plastic, but the thermostat depends upon it to keep the spring in place. Therefore, the housing is always under tension from the thermostat. It's not like other cars where the thermostat is fully self-contained. One of the ears on mine was cracked and the thermostat was cocked sideways.

I actually over looked everything else near the Tube and nothing looked out of place. The reason I know that was my only problem was because it was leaking. The leak landed on a hose below and created a puddle on the block. After changing it, there's no more leaking from it at all... However, I may go back after bleed and refill to buy those spare parts.

I actually over looked everything else near the Tube and nothing looked out of place. The reason I know that was my only problem was because it was leaking. The leak landed on a hose below and created a puddle on the block. After changing it, there's no more leaking from it at all... However, I may go back after bleed and refill to buy those spare parts.

Yep. A lot of people post this. Maybe you will be the first one where it is true? Just because you don't see liquid, doesn't mean it isn't leaking. The micro cracks let air in before they let coolant out. Once the coolant does start coming out, often the only sign is a white (sometimes other colors) stain/residue that you may see here and there. By the time that you can see liquid, it is really bad.

Swapped out the sway bar links to get rid of the terrible clunking noise, and switched out a fuel filter that looks like it has never been replaced. So glad to be getting above 13 mpg for highway driving. Amazing what that $15 piece can do. Great way to start off the spring weather in my opinion.

Got em

So I got a pair of these and will install this weekend. Hope it fixes. I saw the summit adjustable ones after I ordered these. They do encompass the length that my LS needs. I like the idea of micro-adjusting how the sway bar sits. May try those in future or even if these don't work, may try those before bushings, which look to be much harder to replace.

View attachment 828475458 fresh oil / filter.. fuel filter.. antifreeze. . And intake

You use some really cheap oil. I'll almost bet it's reclaimed oil. I hope you change oi every 3K miles using that stuff... A 5 QT jug of 5W-20 at Wally's World is just over $25. Three of those will be good for 2 oil changes with a little left over.

You use some really cheap oil. I'll almost bet it's reclaimed oil. I hope you change oi every 3K miles using that stuff... A 5 QT jug of 5W-20 at Wally's World is just over $25. Three of those will be good for 2 oil changes with a little left over.

The LS spec calls for at least semi-synthetic (and most of us use full synthetic). That stuff is full conventional. Well, it's not my LS, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Now now, this is just for a system flush. The car sat for 2 years. So I'm just flushing it for now. It's going to get Mobil 1 in the future after about 1000 miles if I decide to wait that long

Now now, this is just for a system flush. The car sat for 2 years. So I'm just flushing it for now. It's going to get Mobil 1 in the future after about 1000 miles if I decide to wait that long

Sounds like a plan!!

If you're looking to flush, replace one quart with one quart of Rislone. Drive it 1000 miles. When you're ready to change it put one quart of Marvel Mystery oil in, drive it 50 easy miles, then change. It'll come out chunky if it's set up a long time.

If you're looking to flush, replace one quart with one quart of Rislone. Drive it 1000 miles. When you're ready to change it put one quart of Marvel Mystery oil in, drive it 50 easy miles, then change. It'll come out chunky if it's set up a long time.

I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

Yes! I have an LS tail lamp fetish! I'm seeking help for it. Just can't help myself, must save all the LS tail lamps from destruction in all pull yards, I must!

I might start my own farm with Spring coming around. I have some LED plans for the lights (and already have a spare set), but it's slow-going and I'm impatient. I want to test out a "tint" where I cut them open and spray all the non-illuminating chrome flat black. God help me every time I pull up behind my Gen 1 at night and the trunk light assemblies just blaze with reflected light... It came out decent with the reverse lights (on the ridged surrounds that are either clear or gray). 2011+ Explorer Sport tail lights and 2016 Mustang California Special tail lights both do this. Tinted look, unaltered light output

Quick pic, still haven't driven the car since installing, held up on brakes/snow/rain/school/work/gf/laziness. Also, testing out an emblem idea since I keep running into problems trying to make the star electric/grabber blue over a black background

2016-03-04 09.27.13 edited.jpg

2016-03-04 09.27.13 edited.jpg

Replaced my coolant outlet tube so no more dribble dribble. Yee haw!

Still needs front LCA bushings and rear stabilizer links installed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back