6spd TT Nitro LS

yeah figure 50 to fill the bottle, 60 to get enough gas to get there and have some for the track and 20 to race..... 130 bucks is allot of dough to drop on a maybe get to race!

yeah figure 50 to fill the bottle, 60 to get enough gas to get there and have some for the track and 20 to race..... 130 bucks is allot of dough to drop on a maybe get to race!

Good to see you up at the track Friday. Well, it was almost a waste of time but ended up being a good night. There was a breif sprinkle right as I pulled into the place. Then they wouldnt let me run the bottle without the blowdown tube and the nitrous guy at the track "didn't get them in this morning". So my first run was without nitrous. The track was sticky and I should have done a breakstand to launch but I just idled then went. I shifted manually and held it in 3rd going over the line. It ran a 15.333 @ 94mph.
After someone left a rod on the track, it took forever to clean up. In the meantime I put the bottle back in, not expecting to race again but it opened back up so I went. I took it easy, no breakstand, and no nitrous while shifting. I went over the line in 3rd again, but my controller turned off the nitrous due to engine speed. It would have been faster to shift into 4th and get on the nitrous again. But still, it ran 13.7 @ 100.8mph. Not bad for first time out. I've made some controller changes and plan to beat on her a little more when I get back up in the fall.
Did you get a chance to get a run in?

no running for me. That guy at the track waned to charge me 225 for a new bottle with burst plate. I just picked up my new burst plate for $1 and a second bottle for 90. Seriously thinking about a window switch, but IDK. More money in a temporary set up. I may be heading up this friday again only this time all my wrenching will done ahead of time.

how long you guys been using nitrous.... not just on the lincoln but in genral?

my LS is the first application I've had with Nitrous. I'm a big fan of the start up cost. and from what I've seen (did tons of research before installing) its just as safe as a turbo or SC. why whats up?

I really am thinking about throwing a shot on mine... It looks like I need a window switch, nitrous kit... some fuel line to tap in the the hard line at the fuel filter... and a progressive system...

For those already spraying there hearts out..... what is your parts list consist of..

what kind of cars have you hung with or stombed... on the bottle and were surprised it happened!

if you use a progressive controller you dont need a windo switch.... fuel line should come with the kit.

basic wet nitrous setup (should be in the kit)

bottle
lines
solenoid
nozzle
jets
fuze
switch
microswitch
relay
and some wiring

you will want to adjust your timing a bit depending on the size of the shot so add an SCT device (Xcal2 or X3 is fine)

for safety reasons your gonna want something that will make it so you dont spray too low in the RPM range. Either a window switch or a progressive controller will do this and they are priced pretty cloesly together too.

so your bottle stays a regulated pressure, you'll want a heater and with the heater you nead a pressure gauge.

if you want a big shot you need a new fuel pump.

it really depends what you want to do with it. You may want ti available on the streets and need a remote opener. you may want it at the track and need a blow down tube. To get setup and ready to run the nitrous safely and effectively your looking about $1000. That of course depends on what you want out of it.

I would say figure out exactly what you want the Nitrous for and how much you want to get out of it and I'll help you get a parts list for ya.

track/ Street.... maybe a 75 shot.. if i do the progressive i think i will go with the 100 shot

what kind of cars have you hung with or stombed... on the bottle and were surprised it happened!

Sean already mentioned the more technical side so I will stray off my normal course of just yapping about that and talk about the more fun side... Racing.

Back when I was running the nitrous system on the LS there were many kills I racked up. The somewhat respectable ones were:

LS1 GTO (mild bolt ons)
LS2 GTO (stock)
C5 Corvette (exhaust)
97 Mustang Cobra (on slicks)
Mustang GT (built 306 w/ mild mods)
Trans Am WS6 (mods unknown)
350Z's of various years and mods
Mustang GT's of various years and mods
Others I am forgetting...

Some of the above races were close while others turned into a little bit of a whooping. I pulled the C5 vetter pretty hard from a roll. Owner was ready (let him take the hit) and we talked afterwards. One of the few cool Vette owners that could take loosing to a "slower" car. The fella in the WS6 TA got embarrassed pretty badly. Did three somewhat short runs and each time I pulled him real quick. He didn't know what hit him. The 97 Cobra was a real close race. The guy edged me out a few times off the launch but I came back reeling him in pretty hard on the back stretch. There are a few videos around of my runs with him at the strip where he ended up holding the lead to the end of the track. The guy was a real good driver which made the races pretty close that day.

been searching ebay... the progressive kits are cheap... Looks like a can do the nitrous and controller for about 800 bucks not counting a heater or down tube

Rob is running a turbo now..... he was running a 100 shot and yes he was using a progressive controller.

A progressive controller is good and bad. Bad by means it might be over kill for a 75 shot. These cars have been proven to handle a 100 shot with no real issues.

the way it works is you tell it how much of the spray to start with (percentage of tuned shot) and how long you want it to take to get to a full spray. it pulses the solenoid till you get to 100% witch it just holds.

the advantages being traction and its not as hard on the tranny. It also will delay you off the line so you cant accidentally do what I did and spray too low an RPM.

the disadvantage is you dont get the full power for that period of time. kinda a small downside if you ask me.

a window switch is more simple. it tell it when to spray as far as engine speed is concerned. it will start at a set rpm and stop at a set rpm. Thats nice when driving in d4 or d5...... SST is the way to go if you can though. so the shut of thing isnt as much an issue after you bump your shift pressure up. There are people on this site running 125 or 150 shots. CammerFE knows a good deal about Nitrous as well. He's running a 150 shot. the issue with running that big a shot like I said before is fuel delivery.

When nitrous sprays it delivers more fuel as well as the nitrous. the two have to be in the right ratios. if you dont have enough fuel and too much nitrous you end up with a backfire. Backfires can just make a bang, or they can burn holes in cylinders. Not something you want to experience, trust me on that one! You shouldnt spray before 3000rpm and when you tune the jetting on your set up, you should run her on a dyno to test her out and record you AFR's. you should start low and work your way up. I cheated because of how many 100shot ls's are out there and started with a 50 then went 100. The right way would be to start small like a 25, then 50, then 75 and so on. You want to watch the AFR's and timing. You might be good on a stock tune's timing, but with the wear and tear on your specific car you might find that you need to pull timing. I have a pretty friggin agressive tune on my car. So I had to pull timing like a mad man. But once you get it dialed in, you can slowly bring the timing back up to an optimal level while still being safe. It might cost you 100-150 bucks for the hour on the dyno, but its much better than risking the alternative.

i'll stop blabbing. more questions ask.... thats what were here for.

just on tune with timing pulled for nitrouss but it not working I ate on the track

STI
Civic SI with whiney thing (turbo or SC didnt pay enough attention once my car didnt spray

before trying the nitrous i killed me

chevelle
325xi
various rice not worth noticing

on the highway.....
I've owned almost everything I tried. I even spanked my buddies G35 on several tries. the dum dum doesnt know about the LS gearing and how she does 60-100 faster than you can say 60-100. sucker!

these cars are a blast to drive. I cant wait for this family business to clear up so I can get back into this build. Poor Rob has been waiting for the word to order up my parts for WAY too long now.

been searching ebay... the progressive kits are cheap... Looks like a can do the nitrous and controller for about 800 bucks not counting a heater or down tube

800.....rip off! I got my entire kit brand new for 400..... and the controller is another 140. Dont cheap out, make sure you get a quality kit before you blow up a machine as awe inspiring as an LS

What heads are you gonna run with those turbo's? I have a 2004 Cobra of course it has a charger not a turbo. The first problem I had when I changed the pullies and the charger were the rods. One snapped in did punch a hole in the block. After I got a new block and rebuild I blew the heads. I was running around 21psi. The car is in the shop yet again getting the rear end rebuilt for the second time do to the wheel hop of 600hp and the damage it did. But after all is said and done i will be around 15psi and hopefully no more trips to Larocca's.

the heads should have been fine along with the rods... just bad luck... the rear end built right will handle like 900 hp i believe...

What heads are you gonna run with those turbo's? I have a 2004 Cobra of course it has a charger not a turbo. The first problem I had when I changed the pullies and the charger were the rods. One snapped in did punch a hole in the block. After I got a new block and rebuild I blew the heads. I was running around 21psi. The car is in the shop yet again getting the rear end rebuilt for the second time do to the wheel hop of 600hp and the damage it did. But after all is said and done i will be around 15psi and hopefully no more trips to Larocca's.

Your issues are extremely uncommon of Terminator owners. Your stocker bottom end will withstand 600rwhp on a Kenne Bell or Whipple all day long no problem as long as it has proper fueling and a solid tune. Push it to 700+ and you run into issues starting to arise. On turbo Terminators there have been quite a few that have pushed past 750-800rwhp on the stocker internals and heads. Unless you are pushing some big hp then there usually isn't much need to upgrade the bottom end in those cars.

The stocker IRS rear ends have lasted past 600rwhp with proper driving even while launching on slicks at the track. Yes, usually a halfshaft will snap now and then but that is pretty easy to replace. Staying with IRS, go with DSS... Other than that go solid rear swap and don't worry.

How exactly do you "blow a head"??? Um, did you mean to say blow a head gasket??? Drop a valve??? :confused:

Your stocker heads are completely fine for anywhere upwards of 1,000+ hp depending on which form of FI you are using. Now if you plan to put some serious power down then you should go with a good blower (or turbo) cam like what Crower or others offer to maximize power output.

Don't take this the wrong way but considering all of the problems you had it seems as if you are either REALLY unlucky or aren't doing something right. By your wording I am lead to believe the latter rather than the former. Proper fueling and tuning really save a good bottom end such as the one's in the Terminators. Go too small on the fuel system or have an incompetent tuner do a tune for you and there can almost be no end to the problems that may arise.

Now back on topic to LS specific tech. The stocker 4v heads on these LS's will not become a limiting factor for a while, even while boosting it with a single or twin turbo. The stocker rotating assembly is a very large limiting factor in these cars which is why I choose to run only lower boost on the turbo system I built for my car. The order of major items in the engine that will become limiting factors with the LS performing well when boosted are as follows:

1) Rotating assembly
2) Stocker cams
3) Heads dead last as more an afterthought

what he said! lol

seriously it is wierd your having problem with a terminator motor.... the term guys in the mustang club around here are all putting CRAZY numbers (i think one hit 1100ish on the dyno) That being said at that size they are redoing their bottoms and just about everything else. I fully intend to ride out the 4v as long as I can. if I need more to do after everything is done then I will look at heads, but honestly I dont see it in my future

So is it indeed possible to swap out the slushbox for a 6 or 5 speed man tranny...would'nt the 5 speed tranny from the now discountinued 5 sp V6 LS work or no??

A :)

When i said blow a head i meant literally blow a head. Have you ever seen the piston push right through, I did for my first time. Sorry I haven't got back to this thread, I actually forgot all about it. Well after the motor was rebuilt and all fixed up and by the way the charger on there was a kenne bell. The new rhp number on the dyno was 739, But there is some bad news to go with that. No matter how fast the car is and how nice women shouldn't drive them. Thanks to a certain little someone I no longer have that car, The woman took it out in the rain while i was at work and put it into a wall. The woman is ok but the car is a total loss. She only got to see a little over 12,000 miles.

When i said blow a head i meant literally blow a head. Have you ever seen the piston push right through, I did for my first time. Sorry I haven't got back to this thread, I actually forgot all about it. Well after the motor was rebuilt and all fixed up and by the way the charger on there was a kenne bell. The new rhp number on the dyno was 739, But there is some bad news to go with that. No matter how fast the car is and how nice women shouldn't drive them. Thanks to a certain little someone I no longer have that car, The woman took it out in the rain while i was at work and put it into a wall. The woman is ok but the car is a total loss. She only got to see a little over 12,000 miles.

my ex totalled my 89gt the day my SC came for it. I was putting 397 to the ground with lowered compression. The wifey took her out for some quick errands. I got the packaged in the mail, and called her. "be right there" she says. Ten minuted later "ummm your gonna hate me" When I went to the accident in her POS focus..... I saw my car I saw her, then kept on driving. she found her own way home that night. And thats why I am now divorced.

I didn't let her drive the car, She kinda found the keys and took the car without my knowledge or permission. Thay's why she is an Ex and the fact that when the cops called me about the car I told them she stole it. I do have some pics around of it, I just got put them up on here.

STANG.jpg

Hey NHLSV8, just curious if you've made any progress. Did you ever get a good run on your bottle setup? I know winter is fast approaching you up there. Also, did you post pics of your custom intake yet?

Members online

No members online now.
Back