6spd TT Nitro LS

I just looked at this thread and noticed the reference to me. Please note that although I'm running more than a 100 shot it's probably between 100-150. I use a completely separate fuel system to go with the N2O. And I use methanol in the fuel cell for the spray. The methanol is very forgiving of tuning details. I run quite rich on purpose.
KS

no not really! I wish. I may end up getting a run or two in down south before they close up for the year. I am working on a move right now so the LS is getting put on the back burner.

Ok update time. I havent done too much lately. As you can see from the sig, I'm running a larger N2O shot, but thats really about it. I have moved to canada for the winter and the LS is about to be taken off the road and get some major surgery. I am going to pull the motor and tranny out. I'm going to rip them both down completely for cleaning and inspection. If I can find a place to do the custom machining I'll get a new set of rods and pistons for the turbo build. I'm also looking to send my cams out to Comp for a set of custom ground FI cams. I have a line on a 31spline IRS from a cobra I'm looking to swap into the LS as well. If all goes as planned, I should be turboed and ready for serious boost by the time she gets put back together. ILLS and I have been discussing other ideas other than the turbo and flat out..... the power level that can be found in a nice turbo set up will destroy any other set up we've come up with. I have a few build ideas for people willing to do spend the time and money making a demonic LS. But if you figure 20hp per lb of boost, then the 400hp from 20lbs is something that even a 300 shot direct inject nitrous cant touch! The trick is going to be hooking up that power and sending it all the pavement. Possible ideas to help are 31 splines, 3" studs, drive shaft loop, aluminum drive shaft. I think I will avoid running all out slicks so the weakest link is traction instead of part of my car.

So far here is what I have planed:
Billet rods
billet pistons
billet crank
custom ground cams
tranny rebuild
31spline irs (needs new drive shaft)
PnP heads (4valves flow very well, but every bit counts)
beefed up head studs
new cylinder sleeves
stall converter
turbo or turbos
16" wheels with some serious width for MT ET streets

I know I'd like to have the 6spd tranny, but from what Ive seen, IRS cars hook much better with an auto so for the time being atleast, I'm going to stay with the auto and get a stall tuned for my power curve with the turbo.

I have more in mind, but I have to run for now.

roll cage for a 13 second car.. or is that for the twin turbo setup that your working on?

are you doing this work yourself?

which?
rebuild of the motor and tranny.... yup!
Rearend swap.... yup
internals and cam..... getting them made, and installing them myself
tuning.... :cough: ILLS :cough:
roll cage... i dont know yet. I'm worried about losing the luxury side of the LS

cool - if you do it yourself - and all the learning that goes with it - it's a cool project!!!!

post all the pic you can!!

Stay clear of a roll cage unless you get into the

"A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. "

"If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.)."

it is extra weight and can be dangerous to your head when not wearing a helmet. I know of a few guys :shifty: that have been knocked silly on the roll bars on the street - scarey.....

cool - if you do it yourself - and all the learning that goes with it - it's a cool project!!!!

post all the pic you can!!

Stay clear of a roll cage unless you get into the

"A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. "

"If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.)."

it is extra weight and can be dangerous to your head when not wearing a helmet. I know of a few guys :shifty: that have been knocked silly on the roll bars on the street - scarey.....

LOU FTW!!!! I just checked it out and those quotes apply to the track I normally run at! Sweet, roll bar is do able!!!!

well - the point should be - not doable but manditory... right?

I think you should not cage it. You are going to have it be more of a street car than track car anyways. And just like Lou said, caged street cars can be dangerous. That is even if you pad the hell out of them. I say try to function without a cage for now, and after the build. If you find yourself going to the track so often that it starts bothering you to not have one to be allowed to run your best then have it caged.

FWIW, you may want to check the pictures that start about post 12-14 or so in my 'Land Speed LS' thread. The rules are different in ECTA racing and I don't need more cage until I go over 175. (That's in one mile!)
KS

I havent updated this in a while. I have since done my VCG's and switched to Accel coils. I've also increased the nitrous shot and the fuel system to support. I havent had her on the dyno for a "see what she does" pull but i am confident that at 350rwhp i can back it up all day. So there is my legit estimate. With the locked rear end and the added power, I'm really hoping to see something in the 12 sec range when the track opens in spring. Ive been investigating stall converter and 6 spds. I dont know which will happen first, but i may have a motor to do my test fitting for the bell housing etc. on the 6spd.

nice, glad to see things progressing. I can't wait for this crap to melt and wash away so I can start playing again. I need to make one final tweak to my fuel pump module, and put in my new fogger nozzle (old one leaked at fittings). Almost forgot installing the bottle heater too. I hoped to do wheels and tires this year but might be buying a house this year so it will have to wait. Can you re-send me that site you messaged me a while back?

Twin turbo set up.

Ok so I briefly mentioned it before. This is the turbo part of the build thread for my Lincoln LS that I am twin turboing.

My intentions were to twin turbo with rear mount turbos. After closer investigation, the ball bearing turbos I want to use are liquid cooled so I need to move them closer to the front. There is room where the cats are to bolt them directly to my exhaust manifolds in a traditional low mount set up. There also is room to pipe my intake filters to the front bumper to get them away from the heat. This setup will also make it possible to run pretty much any exhaust I want. The bigger the piping the better. Back pressure issues become a thing of the past. Turbo physics actually want less pressure after the turbine so I could run 6” exhaust if I wanted and only see gains.

I've looked at the fuel system upgrades needed and I believe them to be solved. I have already upgraded from a 255gpm fuel pump to a 510 to support my nitrous. I also have been looking at the fuel injectors. The first gen LS's have air assisted fuel injectors to help them pass the cafe standards in the states during those years. The way it works is the injectors pass through an "air rail" in the intake manifold that blows air through the injectors to help with the atomizing of the fuel. This becomes and issue with getting a proper seat out of a traditional fuel injector. After looking at a few different things I am confident that I can make that work with some minor capping and such. My biggest concern is the nose seating right inside the intake. Barring any major issues, I'll be using 60lb injectors to support the fuel needs of a hopefully 500+rwhp car. The other issue I am going to have that is fuel related, is the MAF. SCT makes a MAF that will support up to 1000hp depending on the size of the tubing its in. That solves that problem. And with my SCT Livewire as my programming device, tuning just requires a skilled tuner.

The stock internals of the LS are believed to hold up to 7-8psi before having too much wear and tear added to the car. I plan on running 5psi to break in the turbos, then turning it up. To do so I will be using a water/methanol injection system to supplement my fuel system and FMIC. The methanol will add to the octane of my fuel and greatly lower the intake air temperatures, effectively cushioning the effects of the boost on the motor. Its colder air temps also make for increase in power. I plan on running the methanol on a progressive controller that is pressure activated. Basically I’ll be able to start the meth at x psi and ramp up to the full size of the jet as the pressure increases. By adding it to the intake piping prior to the IAT sensor I can also tune a fail safe in the event the meth doesn’t spray properly. The theory is the IAT will see an increase in temp and retard the timing to avoid detonation.

This is all drawing board math right now as Im sure that actual numbers will vary here and there. I suspect the transmission wont like that kind of power, so further tuning will be needed as well as a possible rebuild kit. Other things are in the works to assist the turbos in their quest to make this one seriously mean street machine such as an upgraded throttle body, and regrinding the stock cams. I'm not sure where those paths will lead yet, so I dont want to take them into consideration at this time.

I'll continue update the thread as I go so that those who dont know squat can learn and those who do can drool and offer up advice.

yes. Yes. YES.

where's the drooling emoticon?

Members online

No members online now.
Back