What did you do to your LS today?

and dear god stop calling it the client... call it the old family member/friend you've been asked to drive it around who agrees to pay for your gas to do so.

The Client (1994) A young boy who witnessed the suicide of a mafia lawyer hires an attorney to protect him when the district attorney tries to use him to take down a mob family. The lawyer safeguards the boy by driving him around in a custom LS. Starring Don Knotts as the lawyer, Danny DeVito as the boy, and Rosie O'Donnell as the love interest.

The Client (1994) A young boy who witnessed the suicide of a mafia lawyer hires an attorney to protect him when the district attorney tries to use him to take down a mob family. The lawyer safeguards the boy by driving him around in a custom LS. Starring Don Knotts as the lawyer, Danny DeVito as the boy, and Rosie O'Donnell as the love interest.

:lol::lol:
Cruel.... Funny, but cruel...... :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol:

After the alignment I was informed I now need eccentric rings to finish the front left. Then, while driving around for photoshoot locations, I got an airbag light (code: 32), which I gather is the driver's air bag. It just doesn't end.

I got a few nice pictures (that I'll put in the picture thread) and then had the cops called on me and a couple (who I'd never met before) also photographing their car on *unmarked* private property in an industrial complex. It's an empty gravel lot with a few trailers, one of which has some beautiful graffiti. Supposedly, it's actually the owning company's art work. The security guy walks up and aggressively tells me "this is private property, leave now". Expecting him to be a reasonable human being, I say "OK, I'm gonna take two more shots and go"

He calls the cops immediately and gives them all the license plate numbers. Obviously, now I have to stay. As it turned out, the cop they sent is a photographer himself and friends with my cousin in the same department. It turned out well and this security officer's wife probably beat his ass making her wait in the car 30 minutes (he just finished his shift) for the cops to arrive and deal with the *situation*.

Oh, and he LIED to the cop and said "I've caught them before on the other side of the complex. They were doing some event and unloading cars from trailers" Uh, what? Total BS. He claimed we looked just like them. Wanna know what trailered cars and industrial complex means? Illegal drag racing in unrregistered, 10sec cars for $25,000 a run. No place for a Lincoln, GTI, or V6 Challenger. Also, he then reveals it wasn't he who caught them, but someone else in his company.

If he didn't call in the plates in under 30 seconds of confronting me, I would have left with no issues. Some people need a powertrip, I guess.

If you had any good pointers?, besides not tightening the UCA's until the car is lowered of course lol

Use the proper tools. An SAE 12pt wrench will strip a Metric stud. Spray some penetrating oil now. Right now. For the Passenger side (Gen 1), I unbolted a wiring harness bracket near the firewall on the shock tower, the fan fluid reservoir, and the ABS block. For the driver's side, I took out the thing the shock bolt cover covers and half the cowl (which also means wipers). A long 15mm wrench will start turning the bolt. A ratcheting wrench will allow you to continue turning the bolt without removing any brake components. You can reach either between the brake lines and master cylinder or under the brake lines and above the valve covers. I couldn't get either lower shock bolt loose so I trimmed down the bracket on the arm-to-body bolts with a Dremel, 10 disks, and a lot of patience to slip them into the spring. I had to slightly unbolt one top to lower the spring 1/4".

after the alignment i was informed i now need eccentric rings to finish the front left. Then, while driving around for photo shoot locations, i got an airbag light (code: 32), which i gather is the driver's air bag. It just doesn't end. ............

huh...........

well i guess by this definition(2), that could describe the camber kits that are sometimes needed after lowering...

ec·cen·tric
ik sen trik
adjective

(of a person or their behavior) unconventional and slightly strange.
"my favorite aunt is very eccentric"
synonyms: unconventional, uncommon, abnormal, irregular, aberrant, anomalous, odd, queer, strange, peculiar, weird, bizarre, outlandish, freakish, extraordinary; More
antonyms: conventional
technical
(of a thing) not placed centrally or not having its axis or other part placed centrally.

or are you talking about hub-centric rings for mounting different wheels?

... I got an airbag light (code: 32), which I gather is the driver's air bag ...

SRS code 32 means you have an open circuit on the driver's side airbag circuit, usually the clockspring or the driver's seat weight sensor connector.

- the clockspring in the steering column wore through and is either shorting or open - which provides the connection to the airbag in the steering wheel
- the connector under the driver's seat has broken - which provide a connection to the seat's weight sensor (part of the airbag system).

driver seat wiring:
> http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=3775 > post #26 (w/ pics)
> http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=7068 > post #18 (w/ pics)

~ or,

clockspring:
> http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=6316
> http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?53760-Complete-Clock-Spring-Replacement-(PICS)

For me it was the connector leads under the drivers seat but most will tell you immediately you need a new clock spring install.
I'd check the connector leads under the seat first for obvious reasons.

GLWR

- the connector under the driver's seat has broken - which provide a connection to the seat's weight sensor (part of the airbag system).

That's not to a weight sensor. That's to the side airbag that it mounted inside the seat assembly.

From my 01 LS shop manual: "The side air bag sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillar."

could be the connector under your driver's seat is loose - there is a sensor in the seat to make sure the driver is in the right position to enable the system.

In another post from Quick he refers to it as a weight sensor.

Here's the detail on the SRS codes. Simply put - the code 32 means you have an open circuit on the driver's side airbag circuit - where? well - it's usually the clockspring or the driver's seat weight sensor connector. But, that's just the common issues....

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=417549&postcount=9

Here is the deal on the SRS light.
It flashes two codes - blink, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink = 32

These are called LFC codes and tell you what is wrong (not always where).
Here is the list - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?21109-airbag-light-code-23&p=184120#post184120

The two most common issues are codes 32 and 36:
B1932 32 8 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test H .
B1993 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test R .
B1992 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test T .
B1994 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance Go To Pinpoint Test V .
B1995 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test X .

The two most common issues are:
- the clockspring in the steernig colunm wore through and is either shorting or open - which provides the connection to the airbag in the steering wheel
- the connector under the driver's seat has broken - which provide a connection to the seat's weight sensor (partof the airbag system).

thread on the clockspring - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=6316

thread on the under seat connector - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=7068

I don't show a 23 LFC.....

Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table
DTC : LFC : LFC Priority : Description Action To Take
— — 1 RCM Disconnected, Inoperative, or Lost/Low Ignition Feed Go To Pinpoint Test A .
B1342 24 2 RCM is Faulted INSTALL a new RCM.
B1231 19 3 RCM Crash Data Memory Full INSTALL a new RCM and impact sensors.
B1921 21 4 RCM Bracket Ground Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test B .
C1414 29 5 Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code Go To Pinpoint Test C .
B1887 15 6 Driver Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test D .
B1888 16 7 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test E .
B1916 15 6 Driver Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test F .
B1925 16 7 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test G .
B1932 32 8 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test H .
B1933 33 9 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test I
B1934 34 10 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test J .
B1935 35 11 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test K .
B2444 48 16 Driver Side Crash Sensor is Faulted Go To Pinpoint Test L .
B2440 43 19 Passenger Side Crash Sensor Mounting Fault Go To Pinpoint Test M .
B2441 42 18 Driver Side Crash Sensor Mounting Fault Go To Pinpoint Test N .
B2445 49 17 Passenger Side Crash Sensor is Faulted Go To Pinpoint Test O .
U2017 44 20 Driver Side Crash Sensor Communication Fault Go To Pinpoint Test P .
U2018 45 21 Passenger Side Crash Sensor Communication Fault Go To Pinpoint Test Q .
B1993 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test R .
B1997 37 23 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test S .
B1992 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test T .
B1996 37 23 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test U .
B1994 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance Go To Pinpoint Test V .
B1998 37 23 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test W .
B1995 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test X .
B1999 37 23 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test Y .
B1877 46 24 Driver Pretensioner Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test Z .
B1885 46 24 Driver Pretensioner Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test Z .
B1881 47 25 Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test AA .
B1886 47 25 Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Resistance Low Go To Pinpoint Test AA .
B1878 17 26 Driver Pretensioner Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test AB .
B1879 17 26 Driver Pretensioner Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test AC .
B1882 18 27 Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test AD .
B1883 18 27 Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint Test AE .
B1892 — — Air Bag Tone Warning Indicator Circuit Shorted to Ground or Open Go To Pinpoint Test AF .
B1891 — — Air Bag Tone Warning Indicator Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition Go To Pinpoint Test AG .
B1869 Tone c — Air Bag Indicator Inoperative Go To Pinpoint Test AH .
B1870 Tone c — Air Bag Indicator Shorted to Battery Go To Pinpoint Test AI .
— — — No Communication with the Restraints Control Module (RCM) Go To Pinpoint Test AJ .
— 5Hz — RCM in Plant Mode Go To Pinpoint Test AK .

From my 01 LS shop manual: "The side air bag sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillar."
In another post from Quick he refers to it as a weight sensor.

Quotes from the gen I factory manual.

Page 501-20A-47
"The side air bag sensors are located at or near
the base of the B-pillar."

Page 501 -20B-5
The driver seat side air bag module:
• is installed as an assembly.
• is mounted in the driver seat back

The passenger seat side air bag module:
• is installed as an assembly.
• is mounted in the passenger seat back

SRS1.jpgSRS2.jpg

Certainly, don't take my word for it. Do some looking at your LS, and do some searching on this site.

SRS1.jpg

SRS2.jpg

Weight sensors on the airbag system are only going to be on the passenger seats to save repair costs in an accident by not allowing unneeded airbags to deploy.It's assumed that there will be a driver in the car, so the driver airbag is going to go off in an accident. The LS may or may not have them as they are a fairly new development in the airbag world. On the GMT800 Chevy trucks (99-07) the passenger airbags are manually turned on and off at least through 2001 so this is the time period when they started doing something about it. Obviously a manual switch for this is not ideal but I would venture that they didn't have the weight sensor worked out correctly yet but the insurance companies were pressing for a way to save that thousand dollar airbag and dashboard repair for single driver accidents. I don't know, but it's possible that the Gen 1 LS would not have these sensors, and the Gen 2 would, due to the timeframe.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I lowered the steering wheel half an inch and haven't gotten the light again. Probably not just coincidence.

As for the eccentric rings, the diagram showed them on both ball joint studs on the steering knuckle. One of the relevant threads here says you just unbolt something and use a pry bar to get something closer. The eccentric rings just give you a bolt to turn instead of the pry bar method. It seems a bit odd that I need these if that's the case. The tech had already gone home by time I got there though.

LS4ME, is that a "huh, how about that", a " huh?"

Okay...

1. Disabling of the passenger side airbag based on occupant detection has been around for a while. I know that BMW has been doing it since at least 99, probably earlier.
2. Trucks often have a manual passenger disable switch, even when they do have the occupant sensor. This is so that a child in a child seat can be placed in the front passenger seat, since many trucks don't have back seats.
3. No LS has an occupant (weight) sensor on the driver's seat. I guess it seemed reasonable to assume there would always be a driver present. The exception to this is apparently BigRigLS's LS, but then apparently he lost the side airbag in the deal.
4. AFAIK, no gen I LS has a passenger side occupant sensor either.
5. Some gen II LSes do have a passenger side occupant sensor.

Occupant Classification Sensor

NOTE: It is necessary to rezero the OCS system when a front passenger seat cushion is disassembled, a new trim cover installed or an OCS service kit is installed. A diagnostic tool is used to trigger the active command to carry out rezeroing of the OCS system.

NOTE: The OCS is found only on the front passenger seat and is not equipped on all vehicles. A white tag having the letters OCS will appear under the front of the passenger seat to identify a seat equipped with an occupant classification sensor.

The seat OCS system is found only on the front passenger seat. The front passenger seat OCS system is comprised of a silicone gel-filled bladder mounted in the seat cushion, a pressure sensor that is mounted to the seat frame and an electronic control unit which is also mounted to the seat frame. Pressure is applied to the OCS bladder when weight of any occupant or object in the front passenger seat is present. The pressure is then transferred through a tube, is sensed by the OCS pressure sensor, then electronically communicated to the OCS electronic control unit. Based on programed limits, the OCS electronic control unit will inform the restraints control module (RCM), via a High Speed Controller Area Network (CAN), of the necessary information. The RCM uses this information in determining if the passenger air bag module or passenger seat side air bag module is to be deployed in the event of a deployable collision. The OCS system components (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor and electronic control unit) are calibrated to each other and are serviced as an assembly. OCS system components are not to be installed separately. If installing a new OCS system, OCS system component or seat cushion foam pad, a new OCS system service kit (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor and electronic control unit) must be installed as an assembly.

... and do some searching on this site.

Yeah, thanks for the poke Joe, 'preciate that!

I did search.

Guess I shouldn't take Quick LS's word for it, found this on another forum from him,

QUICK_LS
is not related.

The two major causes of the airbag light are
- the wiring under the driver's seat breaks (due to the seat moving everytime you get in it) which disconnects the driver position sensor
- the clockspring goes bad (the wiring under the steering wheel which allow the driver's airbag and radio controls to pass into a turning steering wheel).

both are easy to fix yourself.

source: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t481050-air_bag_light.html

Anyhow, whatever it's called, LSFRANK, have a look at that connector, many have fixed the 3-2 code by redoing the leads to the connector, my self included when all shouted "clock spring".

up to you, don't take my word for it. Joe knows best!

Do take note that other reference to fixing the leads at the connector was a girl with limited automotive experience, whom soldered her wires on the connector and solved her own LFC 3-2 issue.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I lowered the steering wheel half an inch and haven't gotten the light again. Probably not just coincidence.

As for the eccentric rings, the diagram showed them on both ball joint studs on the steering knuckle. One of the relevant threads here says you just unbolt something and use a pry bar to get something closer. The eccentric rings just give you a bolt to turn instead of the pry bar method. It seems a bit odd that I need these if that's the case. The tech had already gone home by time I got there though.

LS4ME, is that a "huh, how about that", a " huh?"

Sounds like camber adjusting bolts; though I could be wrong. Don't know why you would need them unless you're lowered.

3. No LS has an occupant (weight) sensor on the driver's seat. I guess it seemed reasonable to assume there would always be a driver present. The exception to this is apparently BigRigLS's LS, but then apparently he lost the side airbag in the deal.

Wow you really on a role here today huh Joe? you did understand I found that information here on LVC from a guy named QUICK LS, correct? which I searched some time ago, correct?

You've decided to get ignorant with me because I quoted some mis-informed information?

... if it works for you, that's all that matters!

I lost the side airbag in the deal ???? how is that ???

you are certain I have side airbags ?

So, should I correct misinformation? Or perhaps I should back off and just let it stand?

I'd almost feel sorry for stirring you guys up if it wasn't something as important as airbags.

Anyway, I lowered the steering wheel 1/2" and the light hasn't come back. I looked under the seat and noticed that the two wire yellow connector, which I would assume is airbag related, has tape, heatshrink, and visibly twisted and soldered (visually from the heatshrink shape and stiffness).

As for the alignment, I'm not lowered. I'm getting the feeling that I should have requested the former Lincoln tech.

So, should I correct misinformation? Or perhaps I should back off and just let it stand?

^ No of course it's appreciated and should always be a MUST, however I do believe you over extended yourself on this one.

No matter ... not going to lose any sleep over it. I should have reviewed Quick LS's info further in depth before I used it as a suggestion.

Clearly that connector does not simply go to a seat weight sensor, even if the LS had one. I should have caught this myself.

You can also see, some members including myself, were able to correct the 3-2 issue by means of fixing the brittle wires on that connector but others have had to replace the clock spring. LSFrank, mentioned it went away went he reposition the steering wheel, which further tells me he will not be able to fix this at the connector below the drivers seat.

I know you don't make mistakes Joe!

Still a bit confused on "but then apparently he lost the side airbag in the deal." ???

Still a bit confused on "but then apparently he lost the side airbag in the deal." ???

the connector under the seat has two wires, therefore IF you had a weight sensor, then you would not be able to also have an airbag without more wires in the connector...

its a joke... lol no need to get your jimmies all rustled! lol

you are certain I have side airbags ?

look at your seat, on the outer side, near where the seat back and the seat bottom meet on the plastic, it should say SRS

for some reason, I expected the bag to be located under that spot, boy was I surprised when it blew out of the side of the seat much higher around the rib area!

I'd almost feel sorry for stirring you guys up if it wasn't something as important as airbags.

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone here is prickly. And don't even mention "bad engineering" unless you like poking the hornet's nest.

You Fn clowns!!! ~ I got my trunk lid and the whole rear completed today, both rear wheels are on also ~ goodnight!!!

You Fn clowns!!! ~ I got my trunk lid and the whole rear completed today, both rear wheels are on also ~ goodnight!!!

Comm'on Big..... You know the drill.... Pics or you're driving a Crayolla!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

^ No of course it's appreciated and should always be a MUST, however I do believe you over extended yourself on this one....

Please indicate whatever it is that I've posted here that you believe to be incorrect. I will correct it or explain it, whichever is needed.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned Joe did a great job of both explaining the seat weight sensor system and correcting my post.

At any rate, I installed new regulators on both passenger side doors and sure enough, that crack I heard on the front passenger was the plastic cracking out. So to everyone, you know what your windows sound like going up and down. The first time you hear an odd plastic cracking sound when a window goes up, don't bother troubleshooting it, just go ahead and order a new regulator for that window and don't use it until it comes in. I've had three regulators fail now, and all three of them announced themselves with a cracking sound although I didn't connect the sound to the fail on the first one. There was nothing wrong with the passenger rear regulator, but seeing as we're on the front side of winter I decided to not take a chance that the passenger rear regulator wouldn't fail sometime in December.

While replacing the regulators, I had the doors open for about an hour. When I was done the car wouldn't start. Put the battery on a charger for a half hour, and it was running fine again. Drove down to the Lincoln dealer and bought a new battery for it, 130 bucks for a 750 amp. I figure if it can't handle the dome light for an hour it's about gone, no use waiting until it takes my alternator out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back