What did you do to your LS today?

Went for a long drive today, came home with another LS. Wife bought an 03 black on black LS from a fellow LVC'er. Got a decent deal on it, very well maintained and in overall great shape.

I see, so YOU were the willing victim! Congrats for getting something you wanted.

bought a new set of tires for the ls today. went with 235/40 kuhmo ecsta ast.
the old set had seen better days. plenty of tread left, but with being over
3 yrs old, figured it was time to change em out.

Wife tells me she need to run into town to get a few things for tonight's activities, told her to not come back unless that black LS of hers got washed.

Now, how to convince her it requires to be polished now and then also ... argue2

There's a reason I don't own black cars BUT she wanted this one. She's going to have to keep it clean if it's to be parked anywhere near mine. :)

Had to move it to the neighbors place down the road, when I cut the front lawn today. Like a dust magnet that black LS is.

I'm in the middle of dropping my front subframe/engine/transmission. Last week, my 274,6XX mile 2000 apparently blew a head gasket on a banzai run. Rather than killing myself doing a head gasket job along with timing chains and all the crap that goes along with pulling off the timing cover, I opted for a replacement engine from a 110K mile donor car. Still waiting to get the subframe/the works down from its nest, but looks like it should come out soon. My service DVD stopped working after a windows update ran Friday night, now the system can't see the disk. I had memorized most of the 94 step (not counting subroutine steps) process thankfully, but am really in careful mode trying to make sure that I don't let the assembly down with something still attached to the stationary car body system. Pretty cool that I picked up an engine for $400. The dipstick shows clean living, but I need to transfer my harness to it, since the junk yard sheared off the harness. Had a problem with the A/C manifold hose assembly, the garter spring connection on the suction line was swelled up on the female side of the junction, so I had to cut the line off and hope that I can surgically remove the stub from the chassis connection with that stuck garter spring. Last big challenge before bed time was to find an effective way to plug the slave cylinder supply line so that my entire (shared) brake fluid bottle doesn't bleed itself dry while the transmission is away from the car. It's a strange design where the connection to the slave cylinder is sort of like an air hose fitting, the stub on the transmission is the male part, with an O ring to seal on the hose's connection. I'm hoping that a small grommet will fit the female connector bore tightly and a drill bit will then plug the hole in the grommet. Engine was running great when it failed. It then kicked into emergency cooling and I limped it 3 miles to a parking lot at work, did troubleshooting, found my 5 month old coolant black and smelling of carbon.

There's a reason I don't own black cars BUT she wanted this one. She's going to have to keep it clean if it's to be parked anywhere near mine. :)

Had to move it to the neighbors place down the road, when I cut the front lawn today. Like a dust magnet that black LS is.
Black ones are to keep looking clean for sure. I ended up getting a California car duster for mine, works great. But one the white one just got much easier...lol

Real pisser on black cars, there used to be a wax called Autofom. It was a negative ion wax that would repel crap. Back in the early 90s I had a black Camaro RS, and my parking spot on base (was in the Army) was underneath a tree that spent 9 months out of the year pumping out pollen. 20 minutes after parking, my beautiful black car would be a kind of lime green because it had an unbelievably thick coating of pollen. With the Autofom, almost nothing stuck to the car. I could park under that tree and might find 10-12 pollen specks on it and they'd blow off the car before I made it to the end of the block. Unfortunately, they no longer make the stuff anymore and I've not been able to find a replacement since. If anyone does come across a negative ion wax I'd appreciate a brand name.

Just got back home, pulled one out of the garage next to the other, getting started on some washing and polishing, cleaning the glass sort of thing.

I balanced and rotated tires.
found left front one 1 3/4 OZ out of balance !
hi speed steering wheel shimmy gone !! :)

Washed and waxed. Gave it a nice coat of Surf City Barrier Reef wax, looks good. Not as good as say Pinnacle, but at the price point def looks good. Hopefully it holds up well, will see over the next two months.

Also recently installed a Kenwood DDX 372BT. Hooked up to the factory speakers and subs as per Mr.Howies thread. Placed a USB port in the glovebox like LDM did though I only did one. Definitely an upgrade over the OEM unit (especially considering my OEM unit disc drive died...)

Next project: Plastidip the lower grill black. And eventually replacing the lugs and getting this bastard lowered.

Replaced brake rotors and brake pads with EBC Ultimax rotors and Redstuff brake pads. Definitely feel the difference, especially because the old ones had a huge warping problem that would violently shake the wheel after using the car for more than 20 minutes.

Had mine out of the garage last evening, mistake that was, while out for Father's day supper, it begins to rain.
So it got all dirty AND ... I'm beginning to feel/hear a slight bang into over drive, also seems to slip into over drive too lazy and early. Fun fun fun.

Hi!

I replaced a light bulb ,it went bad when i removed the msg center switches to install the radio.
I thought it was a special bulb but it's not, just a 12v light bulb with a kind of green silicon cover.

LED lights convertion.( The dome was crispy ;) , so much heat from old bulb light.)

Best regards!

20150621_201037-2.jpg

20150621_201045.jpg

20150621_201054.jpg

20150621_201245-2.jpg

I changed the oil and filter, the engine air cleaner and the a/c cabin filter as well as the fuel filter in my '04 V8 Sport over the weekend. I still need to install the fresh set of spark plugs along with new COP boots and then get around to installing the new pair of rear toe links and get the car aligned.

Since the front end was up in the air, with the driver's front wheel off, I tried to see if I could track down the source of the irritating squeaking noise that has been getting worse. It turned out to be the sway bar mount bushings. I did some researching and then ordered a set of Energy Suspension 9.5171G bushings off eBay along with a pair 1-3/16" 2-pcs clamp on shaft collars (aka split collars) from McMaster-Carr to hold the sway bar in-place side to side.

The setup will end up looking similar to this photo that I found on the Mark VIII forum.

HPIM0440.JPG

HPIM0440.JPG

Got around to putting the eyelids on. Sits nice and flush, painted by a local bodyshop for ~$60.

eyelids.jpg

So sleepy......
smiley-sleep011.gif

Looks great!
Gracias! Also finally got back in touch with Torrie at FastPartsNetwork to make some tweaks to my existing tune (was pinging slightly under hard acceleration at 4th/5th, 4500+rpm).

Took the excuse to test whether the eyelids would flap off on the freeway.
I think the old gal is happy / excited, because she jumped to ~6000rpm peak in the process of accelerating from 65mph to 125mph :p

Last night, all cleaned up again, changed fuel filter, had battery disconnected, ran it around to perform the ever so popular transmission relearn strategy drive cycle, seems to run better but that might just be cuz it's cleaned up again. The irregularity in the 4-5 or 5-4 shift is definitely there.

It is such a difficult job.........

well in his defense, it is a dealer only job according manual... an owner can remove the entire head light assemble to replace a headlamp, but for the tail lights, its to the dealer...

also think its a little weird the the OM would tell you how to replace you high mounted 3rd brake light, but they some how think the rear tail lamps are beyond the common man...

well in his defense, it is a dealer only job according manual... an owner can remove the entire head light assemble to replace a headlamp, but for the tail lights, its to the dealer...

Well it's because of the involvement of the bulb-out indicator system. You have to reset the warning which is not a common procedure (though many halfass it)

1. Place the vehicle in Park on a flat surface

2. Disconnect the battery and wait two minutes before proceeding. The Supplemental Restrain System (SRS) can malfunction and cause damage, personal injury, and death.

3. Remove trunk liner, tail light assembly, and burned out bulb.

4. Replace bulb, reinstall parts, and reconnect battery. Wait two minutes before proceeding

5. Drive vehicle through a full relearning Drive Cycle (see Ref 4.3A)

6. Open customer's wallet and remove any paper debris found

No joke, girlfriend's dad got pulled over for blue parking lights (installed by previous owner). Paid the dealer $110 to change them. I WTF'd. "Well it's a new car and it's under warranty"

Members online

No members online now.
Back