What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

No more ABS Light!

Installed the rear sensors I got from Gman. No more ABS light and no more traction control warning! Now I've got working windshield washer, heat, working ABS and traction control and a quieter (more than a hum) suspension compressor, all of which were done with help from you folks on this site. Thanks again. Looking back, I guess they're all pretty simple fixes. But like the air bag warning light on the Miata-gotta fixit!

Installed the rear sensors I got from Gman. No more ABS light and no more traction control warning! Now I've got working windshield washer, heat, working ABS and traction control and a quieter (more than a hum) suspension compressor, all of which were done with help from you folks on this site. Thanks again. Looking back, I guess they're all pretty simple fixes. But like the air bag warning light on the Miata-gotta fixit!

Once you're familiar with the cars they're "simple fixes". But to somebody that isn't it can be a chore to fix/troubleshoot them.

Determine which cylinder/s are miss firing, then rotate the coil/s to known firing cylinders

I might mess with it a little, but i'll more than likely have my bud hook it up to his machine. When it gets below 40 degrees I aint fixin' anything.

I might mess with it a little, but i'll more than likely have my bud hook it up to his machine. When it gets below 40 degrees I aint fixin' anything.

Sounds just like me. I have to light up the propane sunflower heater and give it about 30 min and then it's in the 60's, if it's between 35 and 40 outside. If there was no garage, hell no. It would sit there till warmth came back around. You could always put a tint up around the car to knock off the wind and maybe put a heater inside there with you to help keep it warm. I done it with a 76 Cutlass I had back in the day. Also had one of those kerosene torpedo heaters that plugs in and blows the heat. I was sweating within 10 min and it was cold outside but that was my only ride.

I did a tune up on a cold day outside a while back, popped the hood of the car, backed my Mountaineer up in front of the car with enough room to walk between, opened the back door of the mountaineer and threw a tarp over my back door and the hood. Then turned on rear heater blowers... better than nothing

No garage? Space heater?

Yes and no.

Sounds just like me. I have to light up the propane sunflower heater and give it about 30 min and then it's in the 60's, if it's between 35 and 40 outside. If there was no garage, hell no. It would sit there till warmth came back around. You could always put a tint up around the car to knock off the wind and maybe put a heater inside there with you to help keep it warm. I done it with a 76 Cutlass I had back in the day. Also had one of those kerosene torpedo heaters that plugs in and blows the heat. I was sweating within 10 min and it was cold outside but that was my only ride.

While it would be great to keep warm I don't think i'd use it enough to justify buying one.

I did a tune up on a cold day outside a while back, popped the hood of the car, backed my Mountaineer up in front of the car with enough room to walk between, opened the back door of the mountaineer and threw a tarp over my back door and the hood. Then turned on rear heater blowers... better than nothing

Lmfao..

Yes and no.

While it would be great to keep warm I don't think i'd use it enough to justify buying one.

This is the little thing I use and they make them in single, double, triple but if you have a gas grill, all you need it this top section and it will warm a garage up pretty fast. Comes in handy too if the power was to ever go out.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mr-Heater-Mh15T-15-000-Btu-Single-Burner-Tank-Top-Propane-Heater-F242100-/370712896177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565035e2b1[/URL]

This is the little thing I use and they make them in single, double, triple but if you have a gas grill, all you need it this top section and it will warm a garage up pretty fast. Comes in handy too if the power was to ever go out.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mr-Heater-Mh15T-15-000-Btu-Single-Burner-Tank-Top-Propane-Heater-F242100-/370712896177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565035e2b1[/URL]

Look around, i paid about $30 at my hardware store. I find a lot of things are locally cheaper when factoring in shipping.

Look around, i paid about $30 at my hardware store. I find a lot of things are locally cheaper when factoring in shipping.

Mine was like $33 to $35 with free shipping and I have had it now for over a year. I was just showing an example of what I was using in the garage when it's cold out there.

This one is $40 and free shipping.
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desa-Propane-Single-Tank-Top-Portable-Heater-All-Pro-hooks-to-portable-lp-tank-/300826670380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460aaab52c[/URL]
They have went up a little this year. The name of mine is "Dura Heat" I believe but I could have went to Harbor Freight and got it cheaper, I'm sure.

Or just make your own
20121218_134440.jpg

20121218_134523.jpg

20121218_134500.jpg

This baby puts out HEAT... free heat
And yea I know its ugly.. that was the whole point.. I was watching Moonshiners and got the idea from one of their fernis'
This is 2x 55 Gal drums, double half mooned together, some old shelf brackets, tie rods and a nut and small piece of tube for hinge and some blown out shocks

Since I've been playing on this thread all day, I felt I had to do something to the car today, so I washed it

20121218_170709.jpg

Brought her home in the first snowstorm of the year. Got here into the shelter and she will stay there till the nasty white stuff goes away.

linc.jpg

My Suzuki just drove right over the mess I made getting her turned around. digging her out, and eventually into the shelter. Where the Mark just sits and spins the Suzuki does not even slip. No snow tires on the Mark though.

fixed teh starter. works good now.

swapped out most of the exterior lightning lighting to LEDs.

not an excessive amount, no.

the original starter went to 150k, the last rebuild went to 190k.

i though it should have lasted longer too. but when i dissembled the starter, the brushes were worn to nothing and had burned the armature.

so in lieu of buying a rebuilt (or new) starter, you're just rebuilding it yourself?...is that for quality assurance? how much less $ is doing it that way?

so in lieu of buying a rebuilt (or new) starter, you're just rebuilding it yourself?...is that for quality assurance? how much less $ is doing it that way?

yes. i replaced those parts for around 40 bucks. a new starter was more like 100 bucks.

Members online

Back