What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Nice Chris! Its those subtle touches that bring it all together

Mygreat8: thanks for the compliments! I figure the car is about 80% done now

I'm also happy to see you have tires with tread on them. No more accidents!!

Needs 1, front right has weird cuts in the side wall.. it had another in the same condition that blew at 70mph, I plan on replacing it before before its back on DD duty. It doesn't get driven at all right now.
My little list of parts is
Sunroof rack (or just the pieces needed to fix mine. The spring bar that slides the cover and pops the glass when you close the door)
Wiper gear set
Neon ballast
1 front right side Federal 245/45ZR18
Alternator rebuild
Blend door

Then the tune will get done and all the legal stuffs updated. I imagine mine will spend our horrid winter in the shop.
Its far from where I want it to be.. all in good time
Body work, all dents smoothed over, side molding delete, rain channel cover delete. If I ever get around to moving the battery to the trunk I'd want to hide a charge wire on the rear bumper and shave the door handles. The fuel door relocation would be cool too.

Or just make your own
20121218_134440.jpg

That is awesome! I've been researching new heaters for my new garage. I should just spend the money on a welder and start learning!

not an excessive amount, no.

the original starter went to 150k, the last rebuild went to 190k.

i though it should have lasted longer too. but when i dissembled the starter, the brushes were worn to nothing and had burned the armature.

This still baffles me..
Did you rebuild the starter the last time?
Your OEM made it to 150
Your rebuild made it an additional 40k for $40
Replacing OEM would be $100

By that math, your rebuild cost $100 for 100k .. and you gotta do it thrice

That is awesome! I've been researching new heaters for my new garage. I should just spend the money on a welder and start learning!

I picked mine up from a pawn shop (NIB) was $300, plus my bottle (150 of 25/75 for $80) and my mask was $75 for the auto-dark. The machine is a 220ampThermal Arc FP165 and can handle up to 5/16 SS with .035 using 98%Ar 2%CO2 and SS ER 308L type wire. I want an aluminum welder and plasma cutter
so all in all was a score on the setup I have, shop around. Having the skill to weld is always valuable, even if just for a hobby. Lol I made my mom a stand for windchimes that she wanted, normally a $200 piece at Lowes cost me $9 to make

Theres a load of supporting things you'll want along with a mig
Beginners should get leathers until you learn to enjoy the occasional sting- I've got around $120 in my leathers for the sleeves and apron and gloves
Grinder and wheels
Torche and a few bits. I have 2 bits for cutting and a rosebud for warming metal.
A couple of magnets will make holding pieces together easier, for building boxes and other plate type assemblies

Don't go cheap on your mask.. eye balls are always more expensive.
You don't have to get the best welder on the block, but a super cheap one will just pi$$ you off trying to dial it in

removed tank and fuel pump. what a pain. old one was stuck to the bottom of the tank by the little rubber feet! new pump friday

3 phase req'd for the mig?

Machine SpecificationsMaximum output 165 AmpDuty cycle @ 104[DEG]F 20% @ 130 Amp at 30VCurrent range 20-165 AmpNumber of voltage settings 4Maximum plate thickness 3/8 (9mm)Wire diameter range .023" - .035" (0.6 - 0.9mm)Dimensions (HxWxD) 12.75" x 9.75" x 17.35"Weight 60 lb

I picked mine up from a pawn shop (NIB) was $300, plus my bottle (150 of 25/75 for $80) and my mask was $75 for the auto-dark. The machine is a 220ampThermal Arc FP165 and can handle up to 5/16 SS with .035 using 98%Ar 2%CO2 and SS ER 308L type wire. I want an aluminum welder and plasma cutter
so all in all was a score on the setup I have, shop around. Having the skill to weld is always valuable, even if just for a hobby. Lol I made my mom a stand for windchimes that she wanted, normally a $200 piece at Lowes cost me $9 to make

Theres a load of supporting things you'll want along with a mig
Beginners should get leathers until you learn to enjoy the occasional sting- I've got around $120 in my leathers for the sleeves and apron and gloves
Grinder and wheels
Torche and a few bits. I have 2 bits for cutting and a rosebud for warming metal.
A couple of magnets will make holding pieces together easier, for building boxes and other plate type assemblies

Don't go cheap on your mask.. eye balls are always more expensive.
You don't have to get the best welder on the block, but a super cheap one will just pi$$ you off trying to dial it in

It's definitely something on my wish list, I'm trying to get my air compressor up and running again first then a welder/oxi-acl torch is next. Working eye balls are in short supply in my house, I take my vision fairly seriously so a good welding mask is in order. It all just comes down to money.

You think MIG is the best for beginners?

Since I've been playing on this thread all day, I felt I had to do something to the car today, so I washed it

20121218_170709.jpg

Dude, this picture really shows off the hood nicely, never really noticed the subtle buldge in the center..car looks sick in this sunlight..I saw your post about the custom body work you want to do..I'd leave the drip channel between the roof and 1/4 panel..I saw that guy blue t or whatever his name is do that to his black 2nd gen and it just looks weird, there's no transition between the 1/4 and roof..its one thing if the doors didn't have a full frame around the window, but since there's a seam between the top of the door and roof you kinda need that seam to continue to the back window..if you see what I'm saying. I dunno to me it just looks goofy..now if someone could delete the upper door frame around the window and make a custom 1/4 glass that could roll down and take out the B pillar THAT would be badass.

It's definitely something on my wish list, I'm trying to get my air compressor up and running again first then a welder/oxi-acl torch is next. Working eye balls are in short supply in my house, I take my vision fairly seriously so a good welding mask is in order. It all just comes down to money.

You think MIG is the best for beginners?

I learned TIG welding first, and that's what I prefer. It's very clean and you can work very intricately. Also, with good equipment, you can weld any kind of (weldable) metal, including aluminum.

When I can afford it, and have a place to put it, I'll have a TIG setup.

That being said, MIG is probably better for beginners. Just point and shoot.

TIG is great, once you get the hang of it and stop messing up the tungsten. I like Stick too but the only draw back to it is that you have to keep the rods warm and dry, and that's hard to do all the time. Any humidity ruins them

Kevin: I see what you're sayin, maybe just the door handles, fuel door relocate, side molding. That's all just dreamin thou, IF I did start a project like that I'd go ahead and get another mark that could be on a shelf for a looooong time. I'm tired of not having mine to drive.

TIG is great, the only draw back to it is that you have to keep the rods warm and dry, and that's hard to do all the time. Any humidity ruins them

Kevin: I see what you're sayin, maybe just the door handles, fuel door relocate, side molding. That's all just dreamin thou, IF I did start a project like that I'd go ahead and get another mark that could be on a shelf for a looooong time. I'm tired of not having mine to drive.

Sapper TIG doesn't use rods stick welding does, i have done both.

Ive been welding since I was about 8, worked for 2 years offshore as an undwater welder in the Gulf and in Madagascar and for 3 years as a fitter/welder at CenTex Iron
Here's one of the barges I was on for a while

1403528.jpg

I can also operate small cranes, that main boom on that one is only rated at 800 tons
I miss those paychecks :( $37 an hour with no less than 35 hours OT every week. 4 weeks straight work then a 2 week vacation in the Gulf and 3 months straight and a month.5 off in Madagascar.

What was supposed to be the first big snowfall ended up being a little less than an inch w/ a nice little layer of ice.

I kept telling people at work not to worry, but they didn't believe me. Now I get to rub it in. I've learned by now that if they say 3-6", expect no more than half of the lower number. :)

I miss those paychecks :( $37 an hour with no less than 35 hours OT every week. 4 weeks straight work then a 2 week vacation in the Gulf and 3 months straight and a month.5 off in Madagascar.

That's about what I was doing the last 2 months! Not fun, but the money was REALLY nice during that time.

We went into a scheduled outage at the power plant I work at. 12-hour night shifts, 6 days on, 2 days off. Overtime starts as soon as you hit 40 hours for the week.

I'll be adding a MIG welder to the Christmas list. :)

I've also done heavy equipment maintenance. My machines were not that big though, just 20-30 ton fork trucks. Just allot of hydraulic and electrical work on those things but I was not the welder in the shop.

I'm hoping to get into corporate aviation though. As soon as my orders are up I go back to my civilian job and I can finish my BS degree. Having certificates just does not cut it anymore if you want that big pay.

Ah college.... the gap between high-school and unemployment

For some reason I suddenly have the urge to go to Home Depot and pick up some "helpers" , and drop em off at the INS office

Ah college.... the gap between high-school and unemployment

I hardly understand that. I can't leave my house without somebody wanting me to do something. I fix computers and electronics around town, work part-time at my friend's boat repair shop, part-time at another friend's auto repair business, I DJ at the local bar on weekends, and my main job is a construction company and I work all around the country.

So much freaking work is out there, it kills me to see people whining about no work. If I wanted to, I could pretty much work constantly, but who would want to? The little time I spend NOT working, I just want to sit home ALONE with the cell phone OFF, of course! lol

It were joke- yucka yucka yucka..
I used to work almost non stop, especially thru my 20s... now I just hurt all the time and I want a massage, but my phones on 24/7 just in case there's another dollar to be made

Members online

Back