6spd TT Nitro LS

I'm taking the throttle body off to pollish the outside. Should bring out some ooos and ahhhhs when people see it. My question is this. I have some mustang buddies who all did a PnP job to their throttle boddies using a dremel. They claim to see an improvement. I have never heard of this. I know people have theirs done, but a dremel seems like just a clean up obvious obstrustions type of job and i dont think these cars had too much of an issue. I'm hoping to get some thoughts and comments on this process and if it should be done, avoided, or just kinda doesnt matter. she is coming off this weekend to have the OUTSIDE pollished so that would be the time to do it if I am going to.

theres a lot of slop from the factory in the tb's, I opened mine up one saturday because I got bored and there was almost an 1/8" overlap between the throttle body and the neck it bolted to :( lol dunno weather it did anything or not feels like it did, might just be my brain gettin in the way

hmmmmm maybe I'll take a look and clean it up some. I thought with these cars be such a damn expensive platform for ford to make that they'd be somewhat decent. Time to grap the calipers and see whats going on I think.

Where are you located (if you don't mind)? I may be able to help you out quite a bit with the fabrication and plumbing on the TT setup if your close enough.

Nashua NH..... more than welcome to come over and help.... I have a crew of mechanics and welders with me as the brains of the outfit.

project pheonix

ok so I blew up the damn intake and maybe some other stuff at the track last wednesday. There is a thread about it somewhere. Here are some carnage pics for your viewing pleasure:

CIMG1374.jpg

CIMG1375.jpg

CIMG1376.jpg

CIMG1378.jpg

CIMG1377.jpg

CIMG1379.jpg

CIMG1382.jpg

CIMG1381.jpg

CIMG1380.jpg

shes was running on duct tape that same night. I had to drive away from the track so AAA would tow her

anyone know how to PnP a throttle body? I was thinking about cleaning it up while I have everything broken down

Now, I have been accused of not being too smart at times so take anything I say with a grain of salt and I haven't actually done this, so take that into account also. My understanding is that you basically want to make sure the transition from TB to the manifold is as smooth as possible, basically making sure they are the same size I.D. all the way around. If the TB is smaller than the intake you could be looking at a "bottle neck", which is bad. I've also heard of grinding the head of the screws that hold the "butterfly" to the shaft down a bit so when it's W.O.T. thats a little less restriction. Is there more to it, probably, but thats what I know. Will you see a difference, no, probably not a big one until you have the TT's set up, but hey, it's fun the grind stuff regardless right?

HAHAHAHAHAHA Doing plenty of grinding lately. When you gonna swing by and see my car / let me see yours?

As soon as I get a shred of spare time, been crazy latelly. Goin to the track tonight if the rain holds out. Whatcha up to?

where did you have your nozzle mounted?? pre- MAF? your actual intake looks fine, just the air tube... you're a lucky SOB! :D

pre MAF? no its a wet kit. Went just before the TB

i was just surprised to see that much damage to the air intake all the way down to the filter. i figured you may have put it just after the MAF... or further back from the throttle body. it sucks fitting a nozzle on the underside of a gen1 intake doesn't it.

it sucks fitting a nozzle on the underside of a gen1 intake doesn't it.

not really..... got it first shot and didnt even plan out the clearance under it. Just figured out where it would spray best and anstalled. Got lucky I guess

too much nitrous and not enough fuel...... sprayed at about 1k rpm...... not enough flow yet for nitrous to be flowing

Update

OK so its been a little while. I installed my new maf and go the intake tubing sealed up (waiting on better weather to paint my CAI) and she didnt want to run right. I noticed my cats were glowing not red but orange inside of a few seconds. So I changed my cats out for some 2" piping and an O2 sensor bung. Still not running right..... HMMMMMM? Then I sat and thought for a second. With how she was running it could be one of two things. Either a blown intake mani seal or a hole in a piston. Not wanting to deal with the piston just yet, I took my intake mani off. The good news is my gasket was fine and now is brand new. The bad news was I somehow had missed that the back fire blew the circular plate off the back of the manifold. Well since Lincoln glued it on to start with, I glued it back on. Except that I used ultra grey silicone adhesive. So she is up and running like new!

Some noticeable differences are evident though. I had the TB off anyway and since I had like a 1/4" bottle neck, I decided to gasket match the throttle body section and the the intake. Much less restrictive air flow now. I dont have cats, so what little bit of resistance they gave is gone. I have been running the CAI i made for a day or so (still not painted) and she is breathing nicely. All and all with my KBX Performance tune and the minor mods I made while she was down, this car is running like a raped ape right now! I cant wait to get my bottle filled and see how she runs on the juice! Oh yeah. I also polished the outside of my TB and while its not done, the subtle accent it provides to the engine bay look stellar!!!!! Hope fully my camera will work so I can get a pic of it up here.

More 411 for those of you paying attention to the performance numbers. Bone stock with 20"s she ran 15.5 and 15.6 with two different track days. The night she blew up I was runnning mostly stock, but I pulled the timing from my KBX tune. She ran a 15.5 with the tune and mucho timing retard. I might be over stepping by bounds a bit but I am thinking with new modifications by me and with no timing retard on this killer tune, she may be have a 14 sec pass in her. 14.999 will count as far I'm concerned for that matter. For an N/A first gen LS to make a pass in the 14's is victory of its own. One of many baby steps on the way to shattering everything that has been set down previously with an LS!

Track time is coming again soon. I'll keep this thread and everyone watching it updated.

Track time is coming again soon. I'll keep this thread and everyone watching it updated.

Did you make it to the track last night? The weather ended up holding out but it was humid as hell.

I will surely get up there with you by fall and I'll try to bring a few others with me.

didn't go last night. Had a buddy go and said there was 60 cars total nice a cool weather perfect night for racing. He hasn't had conditions like the in 8 years. I'm pissed I wimped out.

didn't go last night. Had a buddy go and said there was 60 cars total nice a cool weather perfect night for racing. He hasn't had conditions like the in 8 years. I'm pissed I wimped out.

Figures! Its still a big gamble for me. It would suck to go all the way up and then have it pour or have the track damp. It may have been cool, but still humid? Thats what I'll say to make myself feel better.
Glad the car is working again!

Members online

No members online now.
Back